LegacyGT.com

Painted brake calipers w/ Subaru logo

John M

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're a little lighter than the emblem blue because I just couldn't find any darker blue engine paint. There's 4-5 shades but they're all lighter colors. I'm still happy with the overall results. The average person wouldn't notice anything. I was trying for a look that could have been factory had they wanted to. I didn't really have a real technique. I sprayed them with brake cleaner, masked everything with painter's tape, and sprayed paint. First silver, then apply the sticker, then spray blue, then remove sticker to reveal logo, allowing at least 30 minutes between steps to let dry.

Looks really sharp and first rate! Very nice job on the calipers For a black LGT I'd go with Gold (w/black), Red (w/Silver or Gold) and Silver (w/Red) ( ) indicates color of SUBARU lettering on the caliper, in my order of preference. The only thing I would do with the rotors themselves would be to cadmium coat each rotor to keep it from rusting and then only on aftermarket, cross-drilled rotors. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Very clever and nice idea to add the Subaru name to the caliper. It certainly is an inexpensive upgrade and adds a factory touch. A few questions: - Did you also add the Subie name to the rear or front only? - How come you didn't also paint the pad face? - Did you paint the entire caliper or just the outer portion that shows? - Did you use a gloss or flat? Any advice on color for a RBP GT. I was torn between Black (did this on my Integra GSR, outer portion only) and Red. Red would certainly show up the best but might be a little bling. Black is nice but really doesn't show well. The addition of a silver Subaru might be the kick it needs. Maybe black caliper and bracket, with silver Subie and pad face. If anyone else has picks of their colors, please post 'em. A quick painting note. To cut down on prep and taping, pop the bottom caliper bolt, pull the pad and then insert a sheet of newspaper under the caliper and then put the caliper down. This will keep paint off the rotor, hub and inner surface, while keeping paint out of the pistons.

- Subaru name on front rotors only; rears have no surface area to put anything - Didn't want to paint the shim. It'd be too far down the rice path for me. - Painted all of the caliper that I could see - It's a kind of satin finish; Krylon 1200 degree engine enamel

• 2 weeks later...
^^^^^ That is really really sharp, damn show cars making me jealous. On a side note (and on topic for once) I really appreciate the job you did on your GRP, I am thinking red and white lettering of the same logo on my black with red accents. Great clean job!
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

• 4 weeks later...
liquid, jedi.... have an issue with painted rotors? I did not paint the surface where pad makes contact...I taped it off carefully using painters tape. Although others have painted surface where the pads make contact, I did not want to take any chances of screwing up the pads. What little did make it on the pad surface in certain spots (ie. max 1/16") came off quickly. I painted rotors to prevent the "rusty" look that usually takes hold after a year, attributable to 5 months of road salt we get up here every winter. With the new OB wheels exposing so much of the rotors and calipers, I wanted to prevent this from happening. Intention was not for bling factor, otherwise, would have used some bright colours. BTW, swapped to winter wheels and tires this weekend and a quick wipe revealed that the paint on the rotors is as good as freshly painted. Time will tell how long it lasts but it will most certainly be better than the rusties. I used Duplicolor caliper paint...comes in kit with paint, brush, brake cleaner. It is brush on which allows you to control where the paint goes without having to tape everything up.

[quote name='fbi012']check those out[/QUOTE] Those big brake kit ( [url]www.endlessusa.com[/url] ) are the ones similar to what I am planning to get ( 6 pot front with 4 pot rear ) along with about 2 sets of pads (one for track, one for autox/street use). Keefe
Keefe

I don't road race, and it'd take some serious driving to hurt 1200 degree engine paint. My Stealth had red calipers and EBC red pads. "Spirited" driving with stops from 130+ didn't do anything to them and they looked freshly-painted for the two years I owned the car. 13 inch slotted rotors, painted stock 4-piston calipers: [img]http://www.moojohn.com/stealth/newbrakes.jpg[/img]

nice job. i would have stuck with black or silver. i used the g2 paint on system on my acura, black of course. that stuff is awesome. definitely worth $40. [img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/rim2.jpg[/img]

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 2 weeks later...
I painted through the spokes. Obviously it would be easier with the wheel off. But I did it at niught when my daughter was sleeping. So I didn't want to make to much noise. I think the gold looks good with my car. Mine is Obsidian Black.
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Eek - through the spokes! Just spend 5 more minutes and take the wheel off. I don't know how you could properly mask or prepare the surface before spraying any other way. Still, you don't know how much the painted calipers change the look 'till you do it yourself!

I actually hand painted them with a small brush for painting model cars. But yeah, it was still a pain...
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

[quote name='Komeng']Engine paint? Do I get them from a specialty shop? Or can I drop by the local ICI or Dulux store as ask for them? I think I want red for my car[/QUOTE] Any auto parts store should have it. There are actually 2 kinds, one that cures at ambient, the other at 500*F or something. You'll want the ambient temp one.

Archived