LegacyGT.com

Painted brake calipers w/ Subaru logo

John M

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Gambler']I finally got around to spraying my calipers on the front and rear brakes. Here are the pictures...[/QUOTE] Thanks for the pics.......that looks very sharp. I think that is the way to go. Was the second paint silver or white? Hard to tell from the pics, but I think you said you were going to use silver. I might go with a a dark silver if you used normal silver.

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']^^^^^Holy Shit look at that wheel gap!!!!^^^^^ Did you put a lift kit on the car or am I just use to my lower GT??? Damn that looks HUGE.[/QUOTE] ive got hydraulics DUB`z man ! nah it looks big coz i just jacked the whole side of the car up ...spray the calipers, then let it back down. Took the picture. The springs dont settle down to normal ride height til u drive it around the block.

[quote name='Legacy05GT']I like the two-tone w/ the white and gray. Feel like throwing together a quick set of instructions?[/QUOTE] [list=1] [*]Park car on level surface then use scissor jack to lift car. [*]Crack wheel nuts before tyre lifts off ground. [*]Undo wheel nuts, remove rim. [*]Use 1 inch masking tape and carefully tape the disc so no overspray gets on it. [*]Use a piece of A4 Paper to to try tuck behind brake pad. [*]Mask up brake line and rubber accessories on brake caliper. [*]Spray Caliper/Drum. [*]If any over spray gets to somewhere u dont want.. u can use metho or paint thinners to wipe it off. [/list]General rule of spray painting... if u can see a spot that thats not properly masked, chances are the paint will get to it. Just go by eye, mask up everything u dont want sprayed. Try to spray a few lighter coats... instead of one big coat. I peel the tape of straight away when i put the spray paint can down... because if u leave it its possible later when it dries u will peel the paint. Just give it a go.. theres no science to it... just be careful and take ur time.

[quote name='Patagonian GT']Thanks for the pics.......that looks very sharp. I think that is the way to go. Was the second paint silver or white? Hard to tell from the pics, but I think you said you were going to use silver. I might go with a a dark silver if you used normal silver.[/QUOTE] Gloss black with Silver. Calipers are black, the caliper plates are silver and the hub where the rim bolts to is silver also.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have a caliper painting kit waiting for warm weather- now I just have to wait for that dude to put those stencils back on Ebay. :cool:

[quote name='alpinefun']Gambler, Did you use sandpaper before spaying?[/QUOTE] no.. i didnt need to, but if ur car looks like the paint wont stick to the surface then yeh u could give it a light grade sandpaper hit. i'd recommend at least wiping them down this metho or some sort of alcohol cleaner to remove and dust/grit. The paint i used was a brand called VHT ... its an Australian brand. [url="http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/vhthigtembra.html"]http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/vhthigtembra.html[/url] heres a webpage with the paint.. i didnt buy a kit, i just bought the cans seperate at my local auto shop.

FWIW, the G2 Brake Paint Kit comes with Brakleen brake cleaner to clean the surfaces. You can pick up a can of that to clean if needed....just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area.

[quote name='peterp105']what color would you use to paint the calipers, if the car is atlantic pearle blue?[/QUOTE] My wagon is AB Blue Pearl....I am planning on doing black calipers with grey logos. Both sets of wheels I have are anthracite, so not sure any color would work. Besides, I am not a big fan of colored calipers, unless they came from the factory that way. I have seen too many paint jobs that look bad.....at least with black, it doesn't scream "look at me"

All the stencils ordered went out last week. Was in California for two weeks (cold and rainy the whole time, my Sube was home in Florida). Anyway, as most of you already know, eBay pulled a fast one on me, suspending my account supposedly because someone hacked their way in. Rather than taking the prudent step of changing my password, they bashed all of my listings, auctions and store. To make matters worse they sent out an email to my customers telling them I had been suspended without explaining why, if fact they did not explain why to me. After fighting with those morons I was back up and all is well. To this day I do not know what happened and I am sure eBay will NEVER admit to making a mistake. Needless to say I sent a 3 page nastygram to them and the Consumer Complaint people for the state of California. The really bad part was that I was not able to access my records, nor update the records that had been bashed by eBay. All is well again and the store is up and running. Thanks everyone for your kind support and understanding on this issue. Soon my website [url]www.makemeasticker.com[/url] will have the option of purchasing direct and I will be done with eBay. If anyone has an idea for a sticker or decal, let me know at [email]sales@makemeasticker.com[/email], let your mind wander on this idea. Thanks again, John

Guest *Jedimaster*
Good to hear that you're back in business- I'll get mine form your site when you have it ready to go- I'd rather deal with you directly than through Egay.

Archived