LegacyGT.com

Painted brake calipers w/ Subaru logo

John M

I thought this looked very nice so I decided to try it. I have a RBP sedan and chose black calipers with the silver logo, I went to AutoZone or PepBoys or wherever (I forget) and bought two cans of VHT caliper/drum spray paint that is heat resistant to 900 degrees, one cast aluminum and one gloss black. I sprayed the paint into a cup and brushed on the cast aluminum first. A couple of days later I stuck the Subaru logo stencil/sticker in place and painted everything gloss black. After I allowed the black to dry, I peeled off the stencil. Unfortunately, the stencil pulled off the aluminum paint, leaving the original metal surface of the caliper underneath instead of the aluminum paint, and it looked bad (not even a clear stencil definition). So I painted the whole area with gloss black, waited for it to dry, and then just stuck on my two spare stencils/stickers directly on the caliper . It looks really white but I guess after a while the white sticker will fade/get dirty/melt. After two days of driving it hasn't melted, and it still looks too bright, but I'm wondering - did my stencil pull up the paint because I didn't use a caliper paint that uses the two-step hardening agent? I think it looks too bright right now but I am still assuming it will darken with age/use. I don't know if it will end up looking like shit but I just want to know why it didn't work for me... If anyone has any feedback I'd appreciate hearing it... Thanks! Earthworm [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/yevans//DSC00509.JPG[/img]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Hooked4Life']It looks like the link for "Flip" isnt working. Anyone have a good link?[/QUOTE] This link still works: [url="http://www.makemeasticker.com/"]http://www.makemeasticker.com/[/url] The decals can be found [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Stencil_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50447QQitemZ8000076697QQtcZphoto"]here[/url].

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

• 3 weeks later...

All right folks, here is my try. I used G2 Black and Silver paint. I did paint the front shims flat silver because mine were about 3 colors of silver and bronze after I cleaned off the brake dust. The rear shims were black already, but not uniformly so, so I painted them black . I also ground the molding line on the front calipers completely flat with a dremel. It actually really made a difference in how "clean" the calipers look, so I will try to get a pic that shows the smoothed part better. Sorry, the first 4 pics were taken today when I wasn't parked well, and the last pic was taken with a camera phone while the car was still on stands. I will try to get a better shot in a day or two...

Ted

1581394342_Pic1RPhone.jpg.917788be2338aa4a9a798e8561d3c51d.jpg

743202726_Pic2RPhone.jpg.ae252e0dfd0d210d4065a89eed96e9a7.jpg

2123246356_Pic3RPhone.jpg.e80ecac1feed075daf0bbb4ca5c202e5.jpg

52934245_Pic4RPhone.jpg.3b22e2c77237e020d3cd209af5a681df.jpg

1420571968_Pic4CPhone.jpg.3622a68d0da71a3450bf0c4bac1c854c.jpg

:spin:

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Mach V Dan']You could certainly do this, but it seems like a lot of trouble. What I meant about the two colors was: Say you're trying to do a silver logo and a red caliper. Assuming you're using the masking technique above, you paint the calipers silver (two coats) on one day. Give it a day to completely harden. Then mask, and paint them red the following day. Remove your masking and you are done. Note that the epoxy-type paint gets thicker and gooier as it cures. I'm not sure how easy it would be to peel up the masking, compared with normal paint. When it is completely hardened you might not be able to peel it up at all. I wouldn't bother with two colors of epoxy paint. I'd probably just paint 'em, then put a vinyl decal on the caliper and call it a day. If you guys want a "Subaru" decal appropriately sized for that, I can have some made. --Dan Mach V [URL="http://www.fastwrx.com"]FastWRX.com[/URL][/quote] Dan! I am interested in the both a Subaru logo and the paint kit. Lemme know if you can get the logos, as this is the one thing I am having trouble tracking down. I will order everything up at once if you can get it. I want a black paint kit and I would probably want to do the logo in silver. Quite honestly what I wanted to do was use a logo as a stencil, then paint the stencil in silver with silver caliper paint as a seperate job after I complete the cailper painting. If it is just a sticker, maybe I could just put clear over it though to lock it up. Lemme know what you have.

I do not know if you have to be a vendor status to offer those logo decals here or not, but I can make them. If there is an interest, then I may set up a store t showcase what I can make. I also just got in the STi color, so I can make those as well. I also have a G2 Paint Set that I will be using on my car when the weather gets a little warmer. I got mine from the tirerack as a Bday gift. I will post pics once I am done. X
---

[quote name='laz']I do not know if you have to be a vendor status to offer those logo decals here or not, but I can make them. If there is an interest, then I may set up a store t showcase what I can make. I also just got in the STi color, so I can make those as well. I also have a G2 Paint Set that I will be using on my car when the weather gets a little warmer. I got mine from the tirerack as a Bday gift. I will post pics once I am done. X[/quote] Laz, I am interested in who can do it. I will pay you too. PM pcitures or something. I think you understand what I am looking for. You should post them in the FS Classifieds and make some moola. But I bet you gotta pay the vendor fee to do it.

OK cool, I am setting up the store now. If it is exactly the same as what I am seeing in the thread, then that is no problem. I can probably do them for $5 bucks a pair shipped if that is all cool with everyone. If it takes off then I will set up vendor status. I wil make them tonight and post a pic. If anyone has the exact dimension that would be great, if not I will measure the caliper myself. X
---

[quote name='laz']OK cool, I am setting up the store now. If it is exactly the same as what I am seeing in the thread, then that is no problem. I can probably do them for $5 bucks a pair shipped if that is all cool with everyone. If it takes off then I will set up vendor status. I wil make them tonight and post a pic. If anyone has the exact dimension that would be great, if not I will measure the caliper myself. X[/quote] Laz you are DA man. Post up pics, I will be your first order! You can post the dollar bill on the wall in a frame and everything. If you need help measurements on the free area on the caliper let me know. The backs are smaller than the fronts so you may need two sized stickers. Also, do you think these stickers can be Cleared over?

If you can get me measurements that would be great. Just the rectangle area. Now many people have used this as a stencil to paint over them. Not sure if they have used it to just leave it there attached. It is vinyl, and it may melt with the heat, not sure to tell you the truth. Youcan always try, but I think someone says that the vinyl may stretch and shrink according to temperature. I will make them later on tonight and post pics. They will be made/cut from premium 5 year outdoor vinyl, and I have a few different colors. X
---

[quote name='laz']If you can get me measurements that would be great. Just the rectangle area. Now many people have used this as a stencil to paint over them. Not sure if they have used it to just leave it there attached. It is vinyl, and it may melt with the heat, not sure to tell you the truth. Youcan always try, but I think someone says that the vinyl may stretch and shrink according to temperature. I will make them later on tonight and post pics. They will be made/cut from premium 5 year outdoor vinyl, and I have a few different colors. X[/quote] Yeah I am going to use it as a stencil not a sticker. I want it as permanent as can be. Ok here are the (approximate) dimensions in total length/width: [B]Rear Calipers: 3.5" long <>[/B] [B]Rear Calipers: .5" in width where the logo would go. [/B] Not sure if you can get it that small. But I want to do all four if possible, otherwise I think it will look silly. [B]Front Calipers: 5.25" <> [/B] [B]Front Calipers: .75" in width. Plenty of room there. [/B] Those dimensions are total length (from left to right) of the calipers and width at the fatest point (up and down) of the caliper surface area where the stickers would go. I would say to make the stencil at a length/width somewhere within those dimensions. So the front could be say 3x.5" and the rears may be trickier 1.75x.4". Hopefully this does not sound crazy. Lemme know if you need anything else.

[quote name='thebadguy']The 'Subaru' is that painted on or did you use a decal? I am thinking of just using a decal, i found a caliper decal here... [URL="http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm"]http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm[/URL][/quote] Here's a [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=977"][B][COLOR=blue]picture[/COLOR][/B][/URL] of the xenonmods vinyl I used (intense blue) on the front. While the picture on their web site shows a straight style, what I got sent was the arched style. Didn't matter to me but it may make a difference to some people so I emailed them about the discrepancy. I just put mine on cleaned raw brake calipers. I got sent a set of four stickers and may paint my calipers in the future so would use the extra two on those. I don't think there is room on stock rear calipers for this particular lettering.

[quote name='TRS']Here's a [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=977"][B][COLOR=blue]picture[/COLOR][/B][/URL] of the xenonmods vinyl I used (intense blue) on the front. While the picture on their web site shows a straight style, what I got sent was the arched style. Didn't matter to me but it may make a difference to some people so I emailed them about the discrepancy. I just put mine on cleaned raw brake calipers. I got sent a set of four stickers and may paint my calipers in the future so would use the extra two on those. I don't think there is room on stock rear calipers for this particular lettering.[/quote] I like the curve look better, flows better with the rotor wheel etc...How are they holding up for you? Do you think you could have used the stickers as a stencil as well? Because I want to paint my logo.

The dimension sounds great. I see no problem. Now do you want the word and box, or just the word? IMHO I think straight looks better as all OEM calipers have it straight, but I can make them curve as well. I will have something setup shortly, and thanks for the measurements. X
---

[quote name='jc51373']I like the curve look better, flows better with the rotor wheel etc...How are they holding up for you? Do you think you could have used the stickers as a stencil as well? Because I want to paint my logo.[/quote] So far, so good. They've only been on for a few weeks but have been through some rain and high powered touchless car wash sprays. I cleaned the caliper faces and tried to warm them up a bit before applying the vinyl to help them adhere better. Since the casting is a little rough, make sure you rub the letters on good to minimize paint from bleeding in under them. Some have taken to sanding the surface to smooth it out. Don't know it you want to go that far or if it's really necessary.

[quote name='laz']The dimension sounds great. I see no problem. Now do you want the word and box, or just the word? IMHO I think straight looks better as all OEM calipers have it straight, but I can make them curve as well. I will have something setup shortly, and thanks for the measurements. X[/quote] I think I will trust your judgement on the curve or not...Unless you want to do both, I will buy both and see what I like better. I prefer just the letters I think. But again, if you want to do both I will buy both. This is gonna be one of those projects I will have to experiment with a little to see what looks best and what I prefer. But you do whatever is easiest for you. If it looks like crap I can always paint over it in black again and start over to get the look I like.

[quote name='thebadguy']i am gonna paint em red with white lettering. I don't have any jacks or ramps. Is it easy to use the jack in the trunk?[/quote] Yeah you can use that, just make sure you use jack stands once it is up just to make sure you are safe.

Archived