LegacyGT.com

07 LGT Limited ex-owner signing off

Just wanted to drop a line saying bye to all my friends on LGT forum. I kicked my LGT to the curb after 2500 miles. Below are the problems which instigated my costly decision. Thanks to Pete for buying my Blizzaks and Ed for your moral support through my ordeal.

1. I got stuck in 5 inches of snow with Blizzak's on. :mad:

2. Clutch had sgnificant chatter taking off from first -dealer denied a problem

3. Clutch stunk so bad I nearly vomited once- dealer denied

4. Lack of on board stability control

5. Had major studder problem when I floored it around 3500-4000 RPMS severe enough to make my head bob. Happened about 50% of the time. The dealer denied it and said it was turbo lag even after I explained that it happened after the turbo already kicked in with full throttle.

6. Suspension felt like mush and hd a lot of body roll- worse than my sisters boring Accord 4 cyl.

7. Steering wheel was off center--and it wasn't due to the banked roads. The dealer denied this also and said it was "normal because I had Blizzaks and aftermarket wheels on the car" What a load of B.S.

So I ended up trading the car in for a MazdaSpeed 6 which I have had for about 1 month now. I know there are a lot of haters here with biased oppinions. Since I have owned both cars I think I am in a good position to comment on why I like the MS6 better.

1. Suspension set up is much better, and steering is less boosted giving a much better feel.

2. Has on board stability control /TCS--this technology has been shown to significantly reduce accidents.

3. Better tires --18" with Bridgestone RE50 vs. RE92's on the LGT

4. Standard 6 speed tranny with better shifter feel. Clutch on MS6 sucks and makes it hard to drive car smoothly though.

5. Better Value for the Price. LGT Limited = $27000 (no nav)

MS6 GT = $27000 (with Nav)

6. Car and Driver article "Quickest cars under $30K" 0-50 and 0-100 times are identical for LGT and MS6. LGT is quicker by .1 Sec on 0-60 due to not having to shift into 3rd.

7. Better gas mileage. I got 19-20 mpg from my LGT vs. 21-22 from the MS6 so far driving both of them fairly agressively.

8. THe MS6 has standard HID lights, LGT should have these what gives? I can see better at night with the MS6.

9. LGT was quiter than the MS6. Could be due to the tires though.

In summary, don't bash it until you've tried it-I've owned both vehicles. peace

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree about the shifter. I tested a mazda3 and the shifter was absolutely stunning. Perfectly centered with the driver's hand and nice and silky. I was definitely thinking of getting a mazda3 but I didn't want another WRD car.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Sorry for your problems man. And if anyone gives you any crap about YOUR decision...kick THEM to the curb.

Now first...you should have gotten a Mazdaspeed3 wagon...it would kick your 6's arse. No AWD, but I don't think you are after the AWD if you are going after the 6. The LGT "should" be able to outperform the 6 in the snow. I know your experience says otherwise. I've had my Legacy in some of the worst conditions you'd imagine...chains required on the passes...except AWD...and I am here to tell you that even with RE92's I've never gotten stuck. Obviously our experiences differ.

So really, good luck with the Mazda. I admire, respect ALL makes (ok, maybe Kia and Hyundai miss the list). VW, Audi, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes, even the domestics....crap, it's YOUR money! Sure I love my Subie, but I can't say I'd be in a different place if I had the experiences you've had....

Just don't be a stranger...ok?

Regarding the clutch stink, yes it's abnormal, but easily avoidable by properly applying the clutch.

No, the stink is quite normal. No, he is not using improper technique. This has been gone over many times on this forum.

No, the stink is quite normal.

Strange, because the LGT is the only car that I've driven that has it.

No, he is not using improper technique.
I didn't realize you were sitting in the car right next to him the whole time.

You got stuck in 5" of snow????

I've driven the OB through alsmot 2 feet before...granted I have a few extra inches, but still.

may favorite thing to point out about mazda AWD...Why does it get hot enough that it needs to be liquid cooled?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

4. Lack of on board stability control

Finest stability control (short of Porsche's PSM) didn't save anyone in this circumstance:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-golfer1107mar11,0,5372763.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Can't overcome physics. Stability control can come on and correct in certain, narrow circumstances. But, once you go beyond the tire's limit, it's game over - as evident above. "Effective" stability control, like the way Volvo programs it, is way intrusive completely robbing the car of any degree of sporting intentions. Might as well have it prevent you from going over 75 mph, it's that invasive in cornering IMO (We own an S40).

Strange, because the LGT is the only car that I've driven that has it.

I thought you meant it was strange in the LGT. I meant that is common in the LGT.

Why tell the guy he was using improper technique if you know the LGT clutch stinks up the place when any other clutch would be fine. I guess you must have been watching him too.

Why tell the guy he was using improper technique if you know the LGT clutch stinks up the place when any other clutch would be fine.

Regardless, if you use less than 1 second to apply the clutch at ~2500 RPMs there will be no stink - at least that's the case with my car.

The very first time I encountered it, I was on a hill at a red light. I was waiting for the light to turn green and I wanted to be ready to go... so I half held the clutch while giving it gas. Yes, it was nasty smelling. No, I will not ever do that again.

My other car the only time I smelled the clutch was when I was screwing around going from a dead stop in 5th gear.

Obviously the LGT's clutch stinks easier and more than other cars. But it's still avoidable. If nothing else, avoiding the stink will lengthen the life of your clutch because you definitely know when it isn't happy.

I have my own gripes about the car, but the smelly clutch and lack of stability control are far from what I have in mind.

Sounds to me like someone:

a) Doesn't know how to properly research a major purchase.

b) Can't communicate properly / accurately with dealership service department.

c) Doesn't know how to drive in snow.

It is still ugly.

Archived