LegacyGT.com

07 LGT Limited ex-owner signing off

Sounds to me like someone:

a) Doesn't know how to properly research a major purchase.

b) Can't communicate properly / accurately with dealership service department.

c) Doesn't know how to drive in snow.

+1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical haters. Just because I didn't like the LGT....

a. I didn't do research before buying, I make 27K impulse buys all the time.

b. I am not articulate enough to tell the dealer "my clutch chatters and stinks, my steering wheel is crooked, and my car stutters."

c. I must not know how to drive in snow because its impossible for the LGT to get stuck.

sorry about your troubles. suspension upgrades are out there for not a ton of cash.

be curious if you have any issues with your MS6 when summer kicks in. seems people have issue with heat soak of the TMIC due to the lack of consistent airflow over the intercooler (no vent). post up long term review....we'll all be interested.

oh...what about the interior....heard some complaints about it being kinda cheap?

one thing i will bust on....the fake exhuast tips....sorry had to do it.:)

good luck.

MS6 exhaust tips are admittedly ghetto bling. At least they are level. The interior on the LGT was a little nicer with less cheap shiney looking plastic.

My LGT's left exhaust tip was almost an inch lower than my right. BTW the dealer said that was normal too. I guess thats within normal tolerances where it was "Proudly made in Indiana".

Just wanted to drop a line saying bye to all my friends on LGT forum. I kicked my LGT to the curb after 2500 miles. Below are the problems which instigated my costly decision. Thanks to Pete for buying my Blizzaks and Ed for your moral support through my ordeal.

1. I got stuck in 5 inches of snow with Blizzak's on. :mad:

2. Clutch had sgnificant chatter taking off from first -dealer denied a problem

3. Clutch stunk so bad I nearly vomited once- dealer denied

4. Lack of on board stability control

5. Had major studder problem when I floored it around 3500-4000 RPMS severe enough to make my head bob. Happened about 50% of the time. The dealer denied it and said it was turbo lag even after I explained that it happened after the turbo already kicked in with full throttle.

6. Suspension felt like mush and hd a lot of body roll- worse than my sisters boring Accord 4 cyl.

7. Steering wheel was off center--and it wasn't due to the banked roads. The dealer denied this also and said it was "normal because I had Blizzaks and aftermarket wheels on the car" What a load of B.S.

So I ended up trading the car in for a MazdaSpeed 6 which I have had for about 1 month now. I know there are a lot of haters here with biased oppinions. Since I have owned both cars I think I am in a good position to comment on why I like the MS6 better.

1. Suspension set up is much better, and steering is less boosted giving a much better feel.

2. Has on board stability control /TCS--this technology has been shown to significantly reduce accidents.

3. Better tires --18" with Bridgestone RE50 vs. RE92's on the LGT

4. Standard 6 speed tranny with better shifter feel. Clutch on MS6 sucks and makes it hard to drive car smoothly though.

5. Better Value for the Price. LGT Limited = $27000 (no nav)

MS6 GT = $27000 (with Nav)

6. Car and Driver article "Quickest cars under $30K" 0-50 and 0-100 times are identical for LGT and MS6. LGT is quicker by .1 Sec on 0-60 due to not having to shift into 3rd.

7. Better gas mileage. I got 19-20 mpg from my LGT vs. 21-22 from the MS6 so far driving both of them fairly agressively.

8. THe MS6 has standard HID lights, LGT should have these what gives? I can see better at night with the MS6.

9. LGT was quiter than the MS6. Could be due to the tires though.

In summary, don't bash it until you've tried it-I've owned both vehicles. peace

The MS6 definitely has some nice features and it also sounds like your Subie dealer sucked.

However, complaining about the suspension or lack of stability control is a bit ridiculous. You knew, or should have known that going in.

As for snow, I've driven in snow a lot. If you got stuck in 5" of snow, you did something wrong, pure and simple.

c. I must not know how to drive in snow because its impossible for the LGT to get stuck.

Seriously dood, five inches of snow and winter tires, something isn't right. Unlike the RE92s which I will replace shortly, I wouldn't drive th MS6 in winter at all. Summer tires and cold temps, nevermind snow, do not mix.

I wouldn't drive th MS6 in winter at all

C'mon, don't make ridiculous statements. I'm sure the MS6 with decent tires would be fine in snow. The Subie AWD system may be better than Haldex but Haldes isn't bad. I've driven TT's and R32's and the system works well.

its a shame ur ownership experience with the LGT was sub-par.

I'm however surprised your skills of articulation fell short of opening multiple cases with SOA against the quality of their product and the stealership experience.

Also I wish you had waited on the switch since (as per BMW dealer) the 335ix is supposedly coming out soon. That would hv been an upgrade as opposed to the downgrade you were forced into (IMO).

Regardless, it is your hard earned money and if the LGT wasnt providing you with adequate returns on it, it was obviously the right decision to kick it to the curb.

No car should hv a clutch stink and no car should come with these crappy tires and not offer a NAVI in this day and age. Shame on Subaru!

Hope your experiences with the MS6 are at par with your expectations.

Cheers

GL

Ok I admit it, the LGT was an impulse buy. I didn't know much about stability control when I bought it and just assumed it had it.

I didn't even test drive the MS6 before I bought the LGT. That was stupid of me. Had I done that I would be about $3000 (what I lost on the trade) richer right now.

I had already made the decision to trade the car in after the problems surfaced so I didn't bother to press matters with SOA or go to a different dealer. Perhaps trading it in was another impulsive move, who knows. I still have a lot of respect for the Legacy and Subie in general in spite of this bad experience with my first Subie. I won't rule out Subies in the future.

Yeah, the BMW 335i kicks ass and I'm sure the 335xi is even better. But we are talking at least 10K more than the Subie or MS6. It is in an entirely different league.

I experience the same studder you are talking about. It's like the car is trying to anticipate me taking my foot off the gas, and when it realizes I have no plans to it tries to catch up to where it should be. I actually get two stutters, one at ~4000 RPM and another at ~5200 RPM. It's pretty consistant when in Sport mode, and it's inconsistant when in Sport Sharp.

It's not as bad or defined as it used to be, so I hope that around 10000 miles it will be gone completely.

5. Had major studder problem when I floored it around 3500-4000 RPMS severe enough to make my head bob. Happened about 50% of the time. The dealer denied it and said it was turbo lag even after I explained that it happened after the turbo already kicked in with full throttle.

This seems to be happening with a lot of '07's. If the dealer cant help me with this when I go in, I will more than likey dump the car. Really not happy with the ride so far... the experience I have with the service department will determine if I ever buy another subaru.

My problem is WOT 3k-5.5k in random places. :(

Car was an 07 LGT from Rafferty Subaru Newtown SQUARE, PA.Forgot to say MS6 has keyless start which is cool too. But it doesn't play MP3 cds. I haven't timed my 0-100 yet hope it doesn't suck.

Why did you go there instead of Concordville? I test drove an Impreza 2.5i at Rafferty but Concordville gave me a better deal.

We've got 5 Subarus from there and haven't had any problems with the dealer so far.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

wow. i test drove a fully loaded MS6 and was GREATLY disappointed. :( if i'd bought that instead of my LGT, i'd be kicking myself. but that's just me. i expected more out of the MS6, as on paper it should be pretty quick off the line. it wasn't. my 5EAT would wipe the snot out of it, so it felt like a step back. but no matter as I decided to keep my 5EAT and just mod the hell out of it.. LOL so it's kinda like getting a new car?
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Bummer on your problems. Hopefully your Mazda dealer is good or the car has little perceived or real problems. It a nifty car too.

On the Blizzacks stuck in the snow, my wife can get her LGT with manual out of 12"+ wet snow uphill in half worn RE92's without slipping the clutch and little drama except a some sideways movement. Its all in the driving/clutch skill. Not sure if the Mazda AWD can suppress the driver input.

I do agree the LGT clutch is difficult to manage.

Congrats on the Mazda, looks like a nice alternative to LGT.

Why did you go there instead of Concordville?

+1. There are like 5-6 Suby dealers in the Philadelphia area. You could have tried another one.

PS--I so don't get the whole "gotta have HID's" thing. They're way overrated.

Sounds like you had a typical Subaru Dealer.

+1

Unfortunately you have to fight with them on *everything*

I had most of the same issues as the OP, luckily all were eventually warrantied and fixed.

Enjoy the MSP6 im sure its fun.

I am the one that purchased JMN69's LGT from Rafferty Subaru after he got rid of it (I've confirmed it with pm's to him). The clutch chatter is intermittent, more usually on damp days (though I've never smelled it-I wonder if it's his first MT car?). The 3000-4500 rpm hesitation is there too, though that appears to be a problem with almost all of them (07 STi's have the same issue). I am waiting for the 07 AP to come out so I can fix it. The steering wheel is off center only on certain roads, so I think it is the crown of the road that's causing it, not a case of the alignment being off. I bumped up the tire pressure to about 36 psi in the front and it made it slightly better. Overall it's a fantastic car so far. His loss is my gain, cause I got the car for $25,000 w/2500 miles.

Also, even though I bought all 4 of my Subies from Rafferty, I have not and will not ever bring one in for service. They have a horrible reputation.

Sounds like you had a car made on a Friday afternoon in Indiana right after the 6th beer of the pack.

GL

X

Exactly...

Between the MS6 and the LGT even a Spec B is really subjective, both are really great cars and such, fast out of the box, etc etc.. Just a matter of preference...

I am glad you found the car you liked most man, and congrats on your purchase. We are sad you are leaving our forums, but we do ask you to give some more impressions back again after driving the Mazda for a while, let's say 3-5K miles...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Also I wish you had waited on the switch since (as per BMW dealer) the 335ix is supposedly coming out soon. That would hv been an upgrade as opposed to the downgrade you were forced into (IMO).

A "nicely" equiped one will take about 42+ thousand out of your pocket!!! heeheheheh

Looked and drove it last weekend, it ROCKS, our stage 2 equivalent, just out of stock, with BMW stability, comfort and sportiveness feel...

However PRICEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!!!! heheheeheh

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

you should e-mail SOA with your original post and let them know who was the dealership you dealt with. IF you had to suffer, at least let SOA know they lost a customer because of the dealership and their service deparment.

Subaru sold a band new car, and the purchaser took a big financial hit when he sold it. I doubt SOA is upset. Someone else is going to be paying for the service. No difference to SOA.

Archived