LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

Agreed about more pics of washer mod.

My RX330 projectors are coming on Tuesday (the last parts for the retro), and have a few questions:

1) You say "for those doing washer mod" and then "for those doing RX330 mod" Are there different methods?

What are the washers for? If you grind the nipples, the LGT shield should fit flush with the bowl. If you still need washers, could you say why and where?

And did you use 2 or 3 washers? (You mentioned 2-3, but it makes a difference)

2) Seems simple enough, anything you left out that I should know? (Ive had my lights apart before, not worried about that. Just worried about getting everything right the first time)

Maybe giving me a quick un-detailed 10 step list would help me put together the thoughts in my head better.

As of right now, seems like:

1) Take apart stockers

2) Swap LGT lense with RX330 in the RX330 lens holder

3) Grind nipple(s) on RX330

4) Put everything back together

5) Assemble car

6) ...Done

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a brief order of doing things: Difficulty rating on a scale of 1 to 10 for this project would be a 4 (some knowledge of tools is required)

1. Take apart stockers

2. Grind down Rx330 nipples

3. Note: It is your choice weather you use the Rx330 lens and lens holder or the Legacys lens and lens holder. I prefer the legacy lens due to the fact that it is a clear lens with bevel's in it and the Rx330s lens is not fully clear and it is potted like a golf ball surface. It is optional to use the Rx330 lens holder or not, Most just stick with the legacy lens and holder but I broke my legacy lens holder so I had to go to the Rx330 lens holder.

4. For the washer mod you will put washer's between the lens holder and the shield and have the screw's going through the washers. I would recommend you assemble everything without the washer mod first and shine the light off a building or wall at a distance of 25+ feet and see if you like the color first and if not then try 1 washer first and so on until you are happy with the cutoff color.

5. once you are satisfied with the assembly then reassemble everything back up and seal them back up again.

Note: After you are finished you probably WILL NEED to adjust and aim your headlamps again depending on how much they are knocked off aim if at all.

Post up any questions and I'll answer as best I can to explain and answer all your concerns or questions.

Thanks for the quick response. You pretty much answered all of my questions.

I guess Im still wondering if I should use the RX330 lens holder or not. Are there any advantage/disadvantages to either? It would just be easier, as I would not have to swap the lenses.

Are you running the washer mod (& how many)? And what happens when you put on too many (say 3 instead of 2, or 4 instead of 3, etc.)?

Thanks again in advance. Hopefully Im not the only dummy wondering these things....

Thanks for the quick response. You pretty much answered all of my questions.

I guess Im still wondering if I should use the RX330 lens holder or not. Are there any advantage/disadvantages to either? It would just be easier, as I would not have to swap the lenses.

Are you running the washer mod (& how many)? And what happens when you put on too many (say 3 instead of 2, or 4 instead of 3, etc.)?

Thanks again in advance. Hopefully Im not the only dummy wondering these things....

The Rx330 lens holder is longer then the stock legacy lens holder which will mess with the optics of the light output (make it more blue/purplish or more yellow depending on different circumstances)

I would first try the the full stock legacy lens and lens holder without a washer mod and shine the lights off a house across the street or something so that you can see the out put and color on the cutoff and see if you like it or not. If you want more color then try adding 1 washer and moving on up until your happy.

I currently have Legacy Lens, Rx330 lens holder, 2 washer's on the 2 lower mount screw's.

Now the bad thing about adding washer's is that if you add to many you can lose the sharpness of the beam.

I want to see if I can get ahold of another legacy light for cheap and I wanna try some more setups and see what I can get out of different setups and the stock setup.

Let me know if there's any other questions or if you just want to chat I'm cool with that aswell.

yes if you are going to do a retro you will be filling the shield hole to prevent against glare.

I'm working on this retro right now too. Is this hole in the stock shield the rectangular hole below the main cutout? I was assuming the hole to fill was above the main cutout in the shield because the glare that shows up when you don't fill the hole is above the main beam pattern when the lights are on. However, the only hole I see to fill in the shield is below rather than above.

you don't know how many people ask me about doing their lights... lol

I think that Mike, Henry, and I should start a headlight clearing, blackout, and retro thing on the side of our regular jobs so we could all get some extra $$$.. lol

hah werd. i got parts laying around. now i need some spare lamps.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Here is the stock Legacy cutoff shield. The hole to fill in is highlighted. I haven't decided what to use to fill it in with yet. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

http://users.adelphia.net/~dametzg/Legacy_Shield.jpg

If anyone is interested I am willing to do Retros, I am working out all the bugs but what I am thinking of doing is just selling premaid set ups to minimize down time, with either a coreswap with the old housings for a minimum discount or just sell the retro straight up stay tuned for details.
Mr.350

I saw some stuff like it at Walmart when I was there earlier this evening in the automotive section with all the other sealers and adhesives. It comes in a small cylinder and says it's steel reinforced putty. I'll probably pick some up tomorrow so I can finish this up.

also remember the results will differ with the differnt types of lens you decide to use I went the 300ZX and one washer on each post and I am getting a little flare on the drivers lens, so the washers are getting pulled when weather permits.
Mr.350

My problem, as we spoke on before, is that I dont have the luxury of a lit garage to keep testing. So when Im doing these multiple tests, its pitch black out in my parking lot :(

Ill see how this goes though. So much class, dont have enough time yet to get the headlights out and back in before I have to drive again.