LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

My high beams were not changed. My low beams however were changed. Perhaps I should have spaced all 3 lens bracket attachment points, but I was getting the best color and sharpness when just the two bottom portion mounting points were spaced. Which in turn angles the lens slightly and thus moves the beam projection upwards.

Here's a illustration of the phenomena at hand:

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/19995/2004444623187535753_rs.jpg

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that maybe you did the washer's wrong because all the rest of us have no issue's that your describing and or maybe when reinstalling something you didn't get everything flush to screw down.

I don't want to blame you and your work but you are the sole person with this problem.

Take em apart and check over things and before you put them back together test it out and see.

The shear mechanics of doing a color mod has to make the cutoff go up slightly. No way around it. I'm not saying that my highs are pointed straight down, but there is a difference. Although slight.

Let's just say that 2 washers are 2mm thick. With rough measurements, that would tilt the lens ~1.38°. Not much, but at a distance of 25' that's raising the cutoff nearly 7.25". Again not huge but I do think it something that someone who is considering this mod should keep in the back of their mind.

• 1 month later...

Just joined the club... RX330 non-asf bowls, Legacy shields and mounts, celica lenses.

I did a lot of colour modding and couldn't get one projector as sharp as the other. I ended up just balancing the amount of colour. I added the RPM angel eyes i bought over a year ago and liquid elec. taped all the connections. I broke off the squirel finders and high-temp epoxied them over the holes.

Still daylight, I only have pics of the lamps inside but will take pictures tonight as I need to align them as per Garrett's instructions.

Thanks to VXCL for initial support a while back and Garrett for the instructions and part list.

That looks uber sweet but i cant see spending that much $$, how does this HID kit compare? its $125

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=155_37&products_id=38

pm hanger and ask him about the difference

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

My brother and I were driving around on the backroads, he had an Apexcone kit and I had my retro.

His words were, "How can I make these spread as much light as yours? The sides don't light up as bright as yours"

It was true, when I was driving behind him, the trees to the side were lit up brighter by my lights than his. From what a wall to wall comparison brought out, my lights seemed more even with light from left to right. His lights were more concentrated in the center.

I won't talk cutoff or colour mod because you can do that with any kit to sharpen it and maybe get more colour. I think his wife wants a swap now too after seeing the differences. She is happy with the output from the kit though. We went with a 4500K kit.

wow thanks for that review and experience al-gorithm...

I've been trying to tell everyone that forever but nobody seems to listen.

Rigo has some comparison pictures if he ever post them.......... :jedi:

sorry man i just havent had time...i gotta look at it still hahah

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

big props to Garrett, Rigo, Mr Luv and all the other headlight guru's out there. Did my rx330 bowl swap, plus philips d2s + bulbs(can't remember the exactly model number :p), and blacked them out yesterday. Veeeeeery impressed with the difference the bowls made.

I had used katsuro 4500K HIDs and Ballasts with the stock projector bowls before. Liked the HID upgrade a lot. Swapped in Lookslikeanevo's modded rx330 bowls yesterday, first drive at night was tonight, and wow, what an amazing difference.

Color spread is soooo much more even, and more dark spots and various spots (the one that drove me nuts was the one to the left of the car just head of the headlight). What's left is very even, very full light spread. Wonderful color with the philips d2s bulbs as well, great for night vision. Major props to everyone who's pioneered this mod. And mucho thanks!

No before pics, but i'll try to get some after pics later this week. And pics of the headlamp blacking too.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Hey guys, so I'm creating a new wire harness for my lights before I put them back in.

What awg wire are you using for each length? I've read that you shouldn't go below 14awg, but then I also saw that member VXCL used 12awg for his longer lengths.

Should I be using 12awg for the long lengths and 14awg for the shorter ones. What'd you guys use?

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I'm "ever so slowly" putting together the pieces for this retro. I'm hoping it happens before the snow starts. :lol:

Question for you guys who have done the retro already:

What do you guys do to reduce the turnaround time testing for cutoff and color? I know that once the retro is done, the # of washers is variable. I don't want to be running back-and-forth to the kitchen to re-bake and re-attach the lights - just to add/remove a washer. :spin: Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Brian

I had MANY conversations with MiniStiGuy about this same worry, a few months ago.

My saving grace came from a thread in the HID Planet forums (which I see you're now on too) where the guys there use a Computer PSU to light the lights. I did this for the past few nights in my apt, testing washers, spacing, custom shields, etc.

Deff consider it, it'll eliminate the hassle of running outside to test a washer, then running back in to add a washer, then running back out, etc. (Unless you're a bat and like to do work at night in your car with interior lights on).

This worked out great for me because I don't have a garage where I can do my work at night (apartment complex), so this made it able for me to do my work/testing inside my home.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!