LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

I am a noob on this, but why use parts from both?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/garrett804/IMG_0338.jpg

And not use the RX projector whole? Like why use hte shield from the Legacy, with the projector holder from the RX and lens from the legacy? :confused:

X

---

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the rx lens is not clear it has tons of little divits like a golf ball has all over it. The legacy lens is clear but beveled. I'll post up a picture of the full Rx330 projector when I get home tonight and you'll understand why not once you see it. I used the Rx330 lens holder because with the legacy's it looked more yellow to me because the lens sits closer with the legacy holder then it does with the rx330.

Check back later tonight or tomorrow and you'll see the pictures and understand why.

the rx lens is not clear it has tons of little divits like a golf ball has all over it. The legacy lens is clear but beveled. I'll post up a picture of the full Rx330 projector when I get home tonight and you'll understand why not once you see it. I used the Rx330 lens holder because with the legacy's it looked more yellow to me because the lens sits closer with the legacy holder then it does with the rx330.

Check back later tonight or tomorrow and you'll see the pictures and understand why.

Ah like this:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/garrett804/IMG_0337.jpg

But what about the shield? I though our shield has an opening on top. Did you fill that opening? And why not using the shhield off the RX? Also, what does the dimples do? And why is clear better?

Sorry, just trying to understand all of this.

X

---

yes if you are going to do a retro you will be filling the shield hole to prevent against glare.

As I said before you'll see why not to use the Rx330 shield. The main reason is it will not fit without a lot of cutting and grinding.

the dimples just don't allow a clear transfer of light because the prizmatic geometry of each dimple takes away from the ability for light to pass through without some sort of coruption and change in the pattern of light. A fully clear lens like a TSX lens for example would allow a better passage for light to travel through with little to no distortion or disruption of the light.

Guest Gitster

Once you get your headlights you'll be doing this to them.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/garrett804/Cooking.jpg

What do you use to power your oven? Plutonium?? It looks like your trying to strike a plasma in there.

Just received my RX projectors. Just need to source my ballasts and bulbs. I hope to have mine done next month. Thanks for the write up. This should be a superior setup to the oem reflector setup on my STi.

Guest Gitster
How do HID driving lights do in moderate to heavy fog? I drove in some awful fog this morning and I was thinking that brighter / whiter HIDs would really reduce visibility in decent fog.

^ The pattern of light obtained from true "fog" optics/reflectors should help with visibility - however, the whiter/brighter aspect may make a negative impact. This will depend *highly* on your own personal preferences, and what seems to work best with your brain (versus someone else's).

Going with selective yellow (in your case, HID, of course) fogs may prove to be a better move, if what you're worried about is foul-weather use, and if you're not willing to take the gamble above.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guest Gitster
Maybe a set of Fogs that actually increase visibility would help, I'm sure the "yellow" HID fog kits they have do wonders in fog. Running those independently of HID driving lights would be best in foul weather i'm assuming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very interested as my HID's are not great...I like th e color but the output is very insatisfactory...I have the Xtech 5000k and want to improve this big time!

I actually get a green tinge for some reason...might it be the lense?

I will shut up now and follow along with this thread!

J

^ Not unless you accidentally got some water in there during your re-assembly. :)

Honestly, though, yes, this remains a possibility, especially where there's actual physical "work" done to the housing - such as grinding away plastic using a Dremel tool, causing perhaps some dust to settle onto the OEM sealant, leading to a final result that's not fully weathersealed. However, if you use good care during your work, and then top-off with another small bead of sealant after you're done (to reinforce the factory sealant, that you've now broken), you should be just fine. This is what brother praedet speculated happened during our go at his headlamps.

I've had my headlights apart 3 times (or so?) now. I still don't see any evidence of condensation or moisture ingress (knock-on-wood!). :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guest Gitster
I've had my lights apart roughly 8 times now and have had no issue's ever.

You must live in Southern California :lol:

Guest Gitster
I got condensation in both, and i only did it once. Must be the type of day it is. I heated both and resealed them with more silicon. Maybe I pried too much. Maybe next time ill put them in my car with full AC for hours to get rid of the humidity. Haha.