LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

S2k's have HUGE bowls which most likely will not fit without having to cut up stuff.

the point of the rx330's is that it takes no modification really so it makes it simple.

He just wants the lens, not the bowls.

The other member mentioned using STi projectors for a retro.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my completed retro. I went a wee bit too far with the washers as you can see towards the beam center the cutoff becomes somewhat less focused, almost making the beam appear to arc across it's width. It does provide considerable color. I'm leaving it alone for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/biz77/IMG_0006-1.jpg

• 8 months later...

Has anyone tried this with the RX330 NonAFS shields?

I was fortunate to buy some spare headlights and bought the nonAFS RX330 projectors so I can take my time but I noticed that the RX330 Sheild cut out for light output is a different from the legacy's. The RX330's looks like someone grinded the lower side sections of the sheild but not the middle section.

I'll post pictures when I can find my dang camera.

yes if you are going to do a retro you will be filling the shield hole to prevent against glare.

As I said before you'll see why not to use the Rx330 shield. The main reason is it will not fit without a lot of cutting and grinding.

the dimples just don't allow a clear transfer of light because the prizmatic geometry of each dimple takes away from the ability for light to pass through without some sort of coruption and change in the pattern of light. A fully clear lens like a TSX lens for example would allow a better passage for light to travel through with little to no distortion or disruption of the light.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried this with the RX330 NonAFS shields?

I was fortunate to buy some spare headlights and bought the nonAFS RX330 projectors so I can take my time but I noticed that the RX330 Sheild cut out for light output is a different from the legacy's. The RX330's looks like someone grinded the lower side sections of the sheild but not the middle section.

I'll post pictures when I can find my dang camera.

bump for pics

Pictures as promised.

As you can see in the first picture its more curved on the lower 1/2. This is a really short distance from the car about 3-4ft.

Middle picture is from inside the car w/ the Camera at the height of the rear view mirror. Probably 10ft

3rd picture a little more further away w/ more pronounced lower 1/2 at the same 10ft.

The setup was using the RX330 sheilds(grinded), the Rx330 Projectors, the legacy projectors, and 1 brass #6 washer on each of the projectors screws

The bump in the middle is due to me accidently breaking the flap in the lower set of pictures and having to reattach them w/ JB weld.

HID System was DDM D2S.

The Hotspots are not that noticeable when actually driving in the car and I can definately see the cutoff on the cars I am following on the highway. Thanks for the writeup MiniSTI Guy.

Close.thumb.jpg.8d4fe5f0ce5204863d882b79f9b25800.jpg

Interior.thumb.jpg.040526d2ce3dad8b4dd83ec071dfc930.jpg

Distance.thumb.jpg.5dcedc7aad1b18906ec6b34012c9c142.jpg

Edited by rkl303

These are pictures of the sheild from the inside view (too lazy to pull it apart for you but you can see how the lower 1/2 is designed.

Sorry those are pictures of the regular LGT sheilds. I might take pictures of the inside of the RX330's projectors guts but that takes a lot of work to get at it.

Shield1.thumb.jpg.f59a24b36c7a3434379b9e6d221f87a1.jpg

Shield2.thumb.jpg.62aa97cef3dd5d01e1d57e8016f3c4f2.jpg

Edited by rkl303

These are pictures of the sheild from the inside view (too lazy to pull it apart for you but you can see how the lower 1/2 is designed.

So these are modified RX330 shields? :confused: Look like stock H7 LGT shields...