LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill post pics of my retro tonight hopefully (after I get them aimed). Finally got my AFS' in.

Realized that theres an EXTREMELY easy way to mount the AFS and get them all lined up.

1) I chose to use the LGT shield instead of the RX330 (I did so because after bending down the squirrel finders, I changed the optics and could never really get it to look perfect again).

2) Remove RX330 shield, lay it on-top of the LGT shield

3) Line up the output/cutoff lines between the two

4) Trace RX330 shield onto LGT shield (most importantly the two moutning positions for the screws from the RX330 shield

5) Trim the top of the LGT shield (to fit RX330 foreground limiter) and bottom (to fit the thing that protrudes from the projector).

6) Mount LGT shield to RX330 projector half

7) Mess around with spacing, optics to get a good cutoff

8) Re-assemble RX330 projector, with now mounted LGT shield

9) Mount projector in housing, aim, done!

So I spent something like 15-20 hours (I'm slow and a perfectionist) on trying to get the AFS' mounted before I did this. I did both the gutter-guard method, as well as the sheet-metal method.

With the sheet metal method, I traced the LGT shield, but only kept the perimeter material, clearing out the inside (to make room for the RX330 internals). This "bracket" was clamped between the RX330 projector halves when re-assembled, and gave me something to mount the RX330 setup to the housing at stock points. This wasn't perfect because my bracket was never "perfectly" aligned with the projector.

After-thoughts:

The LGT shield has a much steeper/drastic step in the cutoff than the RX330 did. As of right now, this doesn't bother me because the light on the 330's is so wide-spread that it doesn't make a difference.

Also, I tested both 2005 and 2006 lenses in my setup. I couldn't ever get the 2006 to look sharp (as the lenses are frosted). Honestly, with some minor adjustments to the projector, a few custom spacers/brackets, and some TLC I was able to get an extremely sharp cutoff with the 2005 lenses.

I'll hopefully take some pics tonight, and hopefully they'll look as good outside as they did in my APT hah.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Also, side-note.

I had a set of used headlights that I was doing this retro in, that were showing some extreme wear already when I got them.

After getting my first retro done (non-AFS retro), I realized that they were just too beaten up to showcase my new lighting.

So, I purchased a set of replica 2005 LegacyGT headlamps from TYC (through an eb@y member and/or bodyshop).

Honestly, they look identical, and are DOT approved (only difference I can see is that they say "TYC" down in the front clear corner where ours say "Subaru"). I used those to do my retro, and the lenses they had as well (which were clear-beveled like the 2005's).

Just a heads up for anyone interested. I paid around $301 shipped I believe for both headlights. Subaru OEM's go for $300 PER headlight (unless you purchase via a vendor here for better price).

Just a thought.

This can be done with 07s, ya? I ask as you mentioned a difference with the 05 and 06 lights.

Is the difference you speak of only concern the frosted lens or are other aspects (most importantly, fit) affected?

There is a local set of RX330 AFS lens and buckets for 50 bucks.

This can be done with 07s, ya? I ask as you mentioned a difference with the 05 and 06 lights.

Is the difference you speak of only concern the frosted lens or are other aspects (most importantly, fit) affected?

There is a local set of RX330 AFS lens and buckets for 50 bucks.

Fit is exactly the same. IIRC, the 07s have the same headlights as the 06s? They're both the same chrome, and one would assume the same projector lenses as well (meaning frosted).

The only diff between the 05s and 07s should be that the 05s have black interiors and clear-beveled lenses. Other than that, I haven't spotted any differences.

+1 to what you just said BMac...

05's are beveled and clear

06's - 07 are frosted and beveled

08's ??? never seen one up close as of yet.

be sure to take pics before you put the lights back together of how you mounted them and everything man. and pics from in your apartment aswell.

Awesome. When the wagon retires from its busy life this winter, I will be tinkering with this I foresee. Fun! Always loved the clairty offered by HIDs.

Will need to study this post.. and more. Will be nice to have HIDs and rid the housing of that orange reflector.

I am counting on ya'll....

OK, I'm confused. :confused: First, the recommendation was to use non-AFS RX330 projectors and now everyone is calling for AFS projectors. Except MrLuv - and I ain't gonna shoehorn a set of BiXenon's in there. :eek:

Are the AFS bowls that much better than the non-AFS bowls?

It really takes more of a crowbar and and a shoehorn to get the ASF's mines you just need a nicely placed chizzel to get rid of the access junk not needed to duplicate the stock shield mounts.

OK, I'm confused. :confused: First, the recommendation was to use non-AFS RX330 projectors and now everyone is calling for AFS projectors. Except MrLuv - and I ain't gonna shoehorn a set of BiXenon's in there. :eek:

Are the AFS bowls that much better than the non-AFS bowls?

Mr.350

the non-asf if you want a direct bolt on with out having to modify the actual housings.

ASF is better but you'll have to work to get them in there.

^werd

but asf's are not as hard as what people think

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I had MANY conversations with MiniStiGuy about this same worry, a few months ago.

My saving grace came from a thread in the HID Planet forums (which I see you're now on too) where the guys there use a Computer PSU to light the lights. I did this for the past few nights in my apt, testing washers, spacing, custom shields, etc.

Deff consider it, it'll eliminate the hassle of running outside to test a washer, then running back in to add a washer, then running back out, etc. (Unless you're a bat and like to do work at night in your car with interior lights on).

This worked out great for me because I don't have a garage where I can do my work at night (apartment complex), so this made it able for me to do my work/testing inside my home.

i need one of those :rolleyes:

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool: