LegacyGT.com

Octane Level for Legacy GT Ltd.

Does the owner's manual say to use 91 or that 91 is the minimun recommended octane? If you use 89, it probably won't hurt anything, your ECU will retard timing enough that it won't ping in your engine. You'll also be down quite a few horsepower. If you don't want to use premium, you may as well sell the LGT and get a regular Legacy.

I just bought a Legacy GT Ltd. and I know you're supposed to feed it 91, but the gas station I was at only had 89 and 93. Is it safe to use the 89 or do I have to suck it up and use the 93 if there is no 91 available?

Dude, fill'er up with 93! Do you realize how lucky you are to even find 93 octane gas? All I can find where I live is 92!

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

God, the last full serve station I went to (and it will be the last if I can help it) put 87 in my car and I almost knocked the kid back to the 8th grade. How loud do I have to say premium?!

Give your car 93, it's only ~10-15 bucks extra a month depending on how much you drive. Just think how much the rest of the world has to pay for gas and you'll be glad to pay what you do for 93.

There is no such thing as higher "octane" anymore. The number you see on the pump is an an anti knock index number. Vancouver suffers from air pollution problems similar to LA. The fuel is blended to cut down emmisions and has less energy as a result. The anti knock rating - erroneously called "octane" - is increased so that motors can advance timing to help make up for the poorer energy content of the fuel which in itself will increase the anti knock charateristics. This is very true of the ethanol crap we've been running for years here in the midwest.

Usually its a dime difference. That's $1.60 more.

Wow, that's such a small delta if you are buying it by the US gallon. How could anyone contemplate not using premium?

gas swings as much as 15 cents "per litre" up here between 94 and 87/89, so on our 60 litre tank that's a 9.00 diff. per tank.

I fill up every week on average, so that's a $470.00 per year difference.

But again, if one can afford the car, one should treat it well... or get a civic.

bah, I remember when I was driving around a lightly modded fc turbo II, 17 mpg freeway 15 city and like 10 mobbing around in it. I think the 22 mpg on premium is well worth the cost of premium... sadly my altima gets 24 mpg mixed on 87.

Archived