LegacyGT.com

Accessport or 18" summer tires/wheels, if only one

I've got an '06 LGT, 5MT. Live in NJ. Have some extra $$, enough for summer wheels and tires or a cobb accessport, but likely not for both at present. Goal is increased driving pleasure April - October, primarily. Which would you do if you could only do one, or if there's a third option for similary $$, what is it?

Thanks.

i'd go with wheels/tires. the car is plenty fast enough, and with improved handling, it might be worth it.

if your price range is $700-$1200 which it sounds, you can go AP and do bolt on suspension mods like a RSB/FSB which is relatively cheap around $180-$200 per bar. The RSB is an essential mod IMHO.

^^^ Using the Tactrix 1.2-1.3 cable, you can use Enginuity & Ecuflash, to edit and write/read the ecm ROM image. The cable will set you back about $80, and the software is FREE!!! Also, if you aren't too comfortable with editing maps, there are a few posted up on Openecu, that are generic Stg1/2. With some datalogging, you can tweak them to suit.

I use Cobb ST, and also these tools, as some things the ST doesn't allow you to edit. And so far, only Cobb has RT tuning capability. Which makes experimenting super easy:icon_bigg

^^^ Using the Tactrix 1.2-1.3 cable, you can use Enginuity & Ecuflash, to edit and write/read the ecm ROM image. The cable will set you back about $80, and the software is FREE!!! Also, if you aren't too comfortable with editing maps, there are a few posted up on Openecu, that are generic Stg1/2. With some datalogging, you can tweak them to suit.

I use Cobb ST, and also these tools, as some things the ST doesn't allow you to edit. And so far, only Cobb has RT tuning capability. Which makes experimenting super easy:icon_bigg

I live in Somerset County, NJ. Your quote might as well be Chinese to me. Who in North or Central Jersey would one go to for this and perhaps the suspension bars mentioned above?

That is a tough call...

I personally would go with the AP, it is by far the best mod i have ever done to any car I have owned. Wheels are nice..the look great and improve perfomance but it can;t compare to the AP thrill. I would do AP and springs..skip the rims till next summer

I live in Somerset County, NJ. Your quote might as well be Chinese to me. Who in North or Central Jersey would one go to for this and perhaps the suspension bars mentioned above?

Sorry...The cable is needed to connect to the OBDII interface under the dash. This allows a laptop to communicate with the ECU. The software allows one to manipulate/reprogram the ECU for performance.

As for going to someone for OpenEcu tuning, I don't know. For installs of hardware, you can hookup with AZP Installs in Kenilworth, NJ or PRecision Tuning in Brick, NJ.

My opinion is if this is the fastest car you have owned then I would say sway bars, springs, brake pads and then new tires. All but the tires and brake pads you can find on here used pretty decently priced. If this isnt the fastest car you owned I woudl say AP first because if you mod anytime down the road you will have the engine management thing down. so that is my 2 pennies.

if you have $$$ for wheels AND tires ... then maybe go AP + tires. You can get a good set of tires on stock wheels and be very happy as well.

Edit: I see you live in Jersey, and based on what I've heard from Jersey roads, go with 17" wheels. ;)

Alright I'll put my 2 cents in since I started the last either or thread. (stage II or suspension?) In the past 2 months I went from stock to stage I and purchased a 18x8 Rota Tarmac III, Kumho tire combo. IMHO the Cobb Accessport was the better mod. Going Stage I made the power band smoother and got rid of my studder. Although I like my rims, and do agree that the car does grip better than before (probably due to the Kumho's and not the wheels) the 18's will really make you want to lower the car since for whatever reason, you notice the wheel gap more. So...... I would say Accessport and use the rest for a set of tires.

Archived