LegacyGT.com

BMW 325xi kicks LGT's A$$

Was it the same driver ?

I have no problems with my 06 LGT 5EAT with RE92 rubbers.

All snow is not the same. It comes in a myriad of consistencies and densities which when combined with different temperatures and pressures will compact into ice, "near ice" or you name it dependent also upon its depth and perhaps how much salt has been added to it.

I bet for certain snow states, the RE92 are the perfect tire. You can plan a proper driving attitude if you are aware of your tires' strengths and weaknesses. Sounds like you know what you are doing to me.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm...I'm running Michelin Pilot Alpins PA2s on my LGT Wagon...We just had 6-8 inches of snow and I had no problems getting up the hill in my driveway... I had to drive through a snow drift over foot deep at the base of my driveway...the car drove through it like a hot knife through butter.

I'm running the same tires, and while the winter here hasn't been all that crazy, I'm very happy with the performance. I encountered one guy stupidly standing in the middle of the road after a blind turn and had to emergency brake to avoid plowing him over. Justified the purchase right then and there.

I don't know about other manual drivers, but if i am stuck i only use 2 pedals to get free..not this 3 you mention. Only time i have ever had any trouble is driving on summer only tires or when the snow gets deep enough and speeds slow enough to lift the actual car off the ground. Once your tires lose touch with the pavement your game is over no matter what your tires (excluding studded tires).

I've found that this method works best with a rear drive car. But under certain circumstances I've found it was slightly helpful with AWD.

I apply the brakes lightly while simultanously applying the gas. It slows the wheels down without loosing engine power. Using this method I was able to easily drive my delivery van, with nothing in the back and bad snow tires, up a series of the steepest set of hills in the area with 3"-4" of unplowed snow and ice while the drivers skidding down the hill towards me stared in amazement.

Obviously this method of driving is easier with an automatic transmission.

I think a lot are missing the point. Driving in 4-6 inches in snow (easy to get moving) is different from trying to get out of 2-3 inches of frozen snow (very difficult). When I say frozen snow I mean freaking impossible to shovel frozen snow. Like concrete!!!
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Lemme end this hear.

Ive told this story a million times I feel like.

Last year, with my old Continental tires I drove up a San Francisco like hill where there was a stop sign at the top. There was 10 inches of snow. I shifted into first, tires began to spin, I rolled back a bit. After about 10 seconds the power had been transferred and I was on my way and over the hill. Never, ever gotten stuck and now that my tires are new, I rarely even lose traction.

Okay everybody's experience is different. Yesterday we got about 30cm of fresh snow here in Sweden and my Outback just couldn't care less. Even in steep hill, no wheelspinn as i noticed.

And snow and snow is not the same, trust me when i say i know :)

What we got yesterday was cold powder. Could have driven through 30meters depth of it :D

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32416&d=1171918228

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1013460#post1013460

On second thought:

To the OP and anyone else who got stuck: I'll tell you why, because you didn't use your right foot. The diffs will not work if you move slowly and steadily and "rock" the car. Stab the throttle, drive like petter solberg. Subaru AWD is a drivers AWD, not one-use-only get you unstuck AWD.. It requires you are involved. See the threads about VLSD vs torsen vs etc.

I did that once :D

Freaked some people out.

Leaving church one sunday morning, and the plow had been by, and blocked up the driveways with a nice big burm of snow... Most people were avoiding it, and trying to go through other parking lot exits...

My wife was joking, and told me to go through it. It was at least 10-14 inches tall, and at least three feet wide. I don't think she expected me to actually do it.

I checked to make sure no one was coming, and no one was walking in the area, I was on the gas, and plowed through the burm like a rally car, and turning right onto the perpendicular street, the car oversteers and comes almost 180-degrees around, sideways on the street, pointing back toward the way I had come from.

I'm dialing in loads of countersteer, and she's looking at trees on the side of the street, through the windsheild as we slide sideways a few feet down the street. The car came back around again, straight down the street, and I drove on uneventfully, as if it were perfectly normal to do that. No harm, no foul.

She was a bit shaken, I was laughing a bit (i do this often enough, and I am used to driving RWD...) and I am sure that the elderly folks at church were probably shocked, if they saw this happen. "Oh, The audacity..."

But it was fun, and the car is easy and predictable to handle. All in all, the spedometer never reached 20, but it was a classic display of flagrant driving.

So yes, driving like petter solberg does work. :D

Archived