LegacyGT.com

2008 Subaru Impreza Wagon ... Spy Pictures

AWD_Rules3830

Why does Subaru think Wagon's/Hatch's aren't as popular or sought after in the US as they are oversea's, or seem to be???

Brian-

It's also market research. Traditionally, US buyers have shown that they don't like/want smaller cars. Thus, the compact and sub-compact market in the US has always been a smaller market share than the mid-large sized cars. Since Subaru's bread and butter is the Impreza, I think that they SOA thinks there is no market for a small wagon much less hatch.

The opposite is true in Canada where we tend to like smaller cars. This is one of the reasons that we've had the SMART car for a couple of years while they are only begining to be introduced in the states.

Personally, I like the styling of the new hatch. I think that it looks really good. It reminds me of the Peugot really car.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a Nisbaruzda to me.. Its got the front of a Nissan, the mid-section of a Subaru, and the ugly a&& rear end of a Mazda.. So if thats the redesign.. Way to blow Subaru!!

... scratching my head... what are there design engineers doing?? Is weed legal in Japan??

I think it's sweet..to each there own opinion. I went with my LGT, instead of another Impreza because of the interior room. I had an 02' Impreza OBS at one point, and the back seat was a tad more cramped then I prefer, especially when I have my son. Also, I test drove an 06' Impreza and I felt cramped in the front seat...couldn't go back to that after the room I had in my Corolla...haha...the Legacy fit just right...

Brian-

The front is cool, but Im not buying a hatch. Guess Ill be getting an '06, '07.

You'll have your sedan. Impreza will be built as a 5-door hatch and a 4-door sedan. Sedan probably for North America only. Only question is what trims (base, WRX, STI) will come on what bodystyles here in the US.

Wonder if there'll be an "Outback Sport" anymore.

The only photos we've seen have been the white spyshots with all the camoflage on them. Everything else is a Photoshop rendering, so don't base your buying decision on them.

You'll have your sedan. Impreza will be built as a 5-door hatch and a 4-door sedan. Sedan probably for North America only. Only question is what trims (base, WRX, STI) will come on what bodystyles here in the US.

Wonder if there'll be an "Outback Sport" anymore.

The only photos we've seen have been the white spyshots with all the camoflage on them. Everything else is a Photoshop rendering, so don't base your buying decision on them.

Can I have it with a 220 hp turbo hybrid drive too?

And how come we havent seen any pictures of a sedan yet?

Can I have it with a 220 hp turbo hybrid drive too?

And how come we havent seen any pictures of a sedan yet?

i talked to a Subaru rep at an autoshow yesterday who really knows his stuff ... he says he doesn't thing they are going to go with the hybrid but with the diesel.

He said also a lot of the tech for the diesel engine is actually coming from toyota, of all people.

They get Fuji batteries, Subaru gets Diesel Tech.

I love my car ... basically.

The opposite is true in Canada where we tend to like smaller cars. This is one of the reasons that we've had the SMART car for a couple of years while they are only begining to be introduced in the states.

Nx2K - I don't think it was the marketability of the SMART as such, but rather crash testing requirements (different in the US) and possibly emissions (also generally stricter in the US).

HV

i talked to a Subaru rep at an autoshow yesterday who really knows his stuff ... he says he doesn't thing they are going to go with the hybrid but with the diesel.

He said also a lot of the tech for the diesel engine is actually coming from toyota, of all people.

They get Fuji batteries, Subaru gets Diesel Tech.

Im not saying I dont believe you, but its seems to me like the kind of company that Subaru is that they would jump on the hybrid train. Theyre just liberal like that.

At this point, diesels are just better than hybrids. I'd love to see subaru go after this, I think it's even more "liberal" of a move here in the states than developing a hybrid. But it is funny that Toyota is giving Subaru diesel tech if they're the ones themselves with so many hybrids available.

At this point, diesels are just better than hybrids.

Not to get into this debate again, but

1. Most Americans still are under the belief diesels are dirty (and hybrids are cleaner even with today's low sulfur diesel fuel)

2. Hybrid technology is very new. Its got lots of room for improvement.

From a sales aspect, especially with this company I believe that hybrids would sell better.

There. Im not sayin another word on the subject.

I wasn't trying to debate with you about it. I'm very aware of how Americans think when they hear diesel, which is why IMO, given how it is used in Europe, I figured it would be more "liberal" and progressive so to speak if diesels were adopted here as opposed to doing what everyone else is doing, developing a hybrid. I'm not knocking hybrid technology at all, but just looking at things at face value, there are more affordable diesels out there that perform great and get good gas mileage. I mean, the only hybrid here that does that is the Lexus GS from what I've seen.

I wasn't trying to debate with you about it. I'm very aware of how Americans think when they hear diesel, which is why IMO, given how it is used in Europe, I figured it would be more "liberal" and progressive so to speak if diesels were adopted here as opposed to doing what everyone else is doing, developing a hybrid. I'm not knocking hybrid technology at all, but just looking at things at face value, there are more affordable diesels out there that perform great and get good gas mileage. I mean, the only hybrid here that does that is the Lexus GS from what I've seen.

I dont disagree with you. But if you take a car like the Camry hybrid. Its got 30 more hp over standard 4 cylinder camry and achieves 20 mpg better (city). Lexus has the new LS coming soon, with a V8 hybrid that has the power of V10 and the emissions of a 4 cylinder. Ill be keeping my eye on them.

SLegacy99 used magic word with hybrids - city.

If Subaru is marketed as more outdoorsmen/women company then diesel is better match. Hybrid does not give you a lot of benefit off roading or on highway but in the city it rules.

Krzys

PS FHI spent probably big chunk of their R&D money on "world's first boxer diesel". If they sell it in more markets it should be better for them.

PS FHI spent probably big chunk of their R&D money on "world's first boxer diesel". If they sell it in more markets it should be better for them.
They probably will, but not in the US. No manufacturer so far has been able to produce a diesel car that complies with current California emissions regulations. If you can't sell your cars in California and New England, then the US market becomes much less attractive.

This from autocar uk...

"Meanwhile it's emerged that Subaru's Legacy and Outback models will be its first to be offered with diesel power. Subaru is developing an industry-first flat-four turbodiesel motor, due to go into production in early 2008. It'll have a 2.0-litre capacity and has been benchmarked against the BMW 320d's engine. Subaru expects it to produce around 170bhp and 250lb ft of torque."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/223987/

This from autocar uk...

"Meanwhile it's emerged that Subaru's Legacy and Outback models will be its first to be offered with diesel power. Subaru is developing an industry-first flat-four turbodiesel motor, due to go into production in early 2008. It'll have a 2.0-litre capacity and has been benchmarked against the BMW 320d's engine. Subaru expects it to produce around 170bhp and 250lb ft of torque."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/223987/

Just like the Mercedes. We've got torque yes, my hp not so much.

I say toyotaFAIL thats the most passive looking "average car" I've ever seen.. subaru should be ashamed of themselves.. they're supposed to be the bigger man! the better car maker out there.. if they're gonna blend in with everyone else's crap.. then maybe I and i'm sure others will find themselves looking at other brands next time around..

sorry.. guess I have a bit of a troll hat on.. that picture put it on me. but all in all.. thats just my 50 cents..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The new car looks significantly different to today's Impreza, but it won't look like the B5 TPH concept that appeared at the last Tokyo auto show (see gallery). Instead, our sources reveal that it "looks pretty funky, with hints of BMW 1-series along the side". [/img]

Funny that they picture a car at the top of that article, that they claim the new impreza WON'T look like. Nice.

It will be interesting to see it. They report 5-door and 4-door sedan, but no sport wagon. My question is what exactly is the difference between a 5-door (like say, Mazda3, or Vibe body-style) and a sport wagon, in the context of what the impreza wagon was? (it was no Legacy wagon, size-wise.)

And no three-door coupe. Why do they continue to ignore the market for less than four side doors? lots of other companies are getting back on that wagon.

And if the Autoblog story is remotely correct, and the WRX model is dissappearing between the impreza and STI, that will be a huge blow, and a completely illogical move.

Archived