LegacyGT.com

Car & Driver - The Quickest Cars of 2007: $25K-30K.

Atroz

No... The dreaded diesel fuel in the gas tank problem. That problem affets their staff, and only the car indirectly.

There have been a few lemon legacys, to be sure, but by and large, it is a very reliable car, considering larger company's recall/TSB rates per vehicle manufactured.

But even reliable cars can only take so much abuse.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if they were experiencing the dreaded studder.

Oh I have no doubt, but I dont recall the article title being "Long Term Road Test: Subaru Legacy GT". What a stupid mag

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I'm not even sure their "reliability" problems were the fault of the diesel they dumped into it. A friend of mine had diesel pumped into his 06 OBXT due to the fuel carrier truck pumping the wrong load into the Premium tank of the gas station (yikes!). He got a couple miles down the road and the car stalled. They towed it (properly, on a flat bed) back to the gas station (also a service station) and the problem was identified before they ran the engine again. Emptied it, filled it back up with premium, and 10k miles later, no problems.

Frankly, considering that one of the problems C&D had was a burnt out clutch, I would say flogging was their main problem. Even Motorweek, as conservatively as they drove the spec.B, didn't freaking know how to drive the car. On the drag strip, it was lunging and squatting like a drunk sailor. On the way to 6.1 s 0-60?!? Now that I've driven that car, there's no way a decent driver would get that while shifting properly. And to get as much body roll as they did on the slalom, they had to be going 110. The car is tight, stock.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Are all the 07's even out yet? Surprised there's no Mazdaspeed 3 on there considering a lot of guys say its faster then the MS6. Dodge is also coming out with the Caliber SRT4 which is supposed to be 300 awd and stick.

Caliber and MSP3 are under 25 grand thats why they are not included at least thats what C and R listed them as before

what a budget go fast package that would be in awd. i thought the original intent was for the caliber srt-4 to be awd? the neon srt-4 was a killer little drivetrain, but i just couldn't get over the platform. it would have been fine for me when I was 20, but a little too harsh for my tastes now.

why list no STI?
edit.....$30k. You'd be hardpressed to get an EVO or Redline for under $30k, so the list is bunk real-world
MSRP for the STi was over $31K the day it arrived here in 2003 and has risen since. Current MSRP for an Evo RS starts at $29,149 and some dealers are asking as little as $27,499 including destination fee (see http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=245110). I seriously doubt any Mitsubishi dealers are demanding more than MSRP for Evos these days.

So your opinion is bunk real-world.

As if all STI's have only been sold at MSRP either. My dealer was selling 2004 STI's at $28500 in Jan 2005, so WTF is your point besides insulting me?

If you choose to continue this, we can handle it offline....you've been on thin ice here for some time.

Agreed. They affected the skidpad, too. Compare with the 2007 spec.B with the same exact brakes at 122 to 130 ft. That kind of difference is not all due to suspension on a slightly heavier car.

above numbers are from 60-0 right??? not 70-0....?! :confused:

As if all STI's have only been sold at MSRP either. My dealer was selling 2004 STI's at $28500 in Jan 2005, so WTF is your point besides insulting me?
WTF does the price that a 2004 STi sold for in Jan 2005 have to do with a discussion of 2007 model year cars? I'm not surprised your dealer was desperate to ditch 2004 STi's in Jan 2005 given that the much-improved 2005 STI began arriving on dealer lots in May, 2004, eight months earlier.

The dealer invoice plus destination for a 2007 STI is $32,243. There's no way on earth a dealer will sell you a 2007 STI today for less than $30,000.

about as much as your comparison of a street price of an EVO has to do with this article, which is based on MSRP.
I was only responding to your assertion that the list of cars was invalid because the Evo couldn't be purchased for less than $30K in the "real world." I wanted to correct that misconception in case anyone reading this thread might think you knew what you were talking about.

they put diesel in their LGT..... and people actually read this shit. i would never consider an opinion from editors that filled up a gas car with diesel.

I gave up on car and driver a long time ago. They recently had a list of great performance cars under 30k.....

#1 was the evo got props on everything but comfort.

#2 mustang gt got s horrible review but still made #2 spot

STI was toward the bottom of this list but had an excellent write up by the driver.

They claimed both the STI and Evo could be ORDERED for around 29,xxx

oddly enough, the legacy and forester were not on the list, yet the sti was??????

each car was driven by DIFFERENT drivers as well. How do you compare?

another by car and driver:

Ford is also running ads on the Fusion all wheel drive and how it amazed test drivers from across the country when test driven with Accord and Camry...neither of the competition was AWD, and details were not given on engine sizes.

Sad really, most of the (not all) test drives are done by jack and jill off the street.

Car and Drive always does this to the Legacy. Except for the article comparing AWD models last year when the place the Legacy 2nd. They did give alot of props in that article.

It's the little stuff like in the headline placeing pictures of 1,2,and 3 but skipping the legacy in 4th for the pathetic Z that placed 5th.

Hahahahaha I can't stop laughing tonight for some reason... hmmm maybe it was this?

Autoweek January 15, 2007 Issue

page 14

Smokin' Deals

Sedan

2007 Subaru Legacy, MSRP $20,795; $750 cash back or 2.9 percent financing

Hahahaha then there's a picture of a Spec B underneath

Nice one Autoweek!!

I just can't believe how well the LGT does just versus the 350Z. The Z has 50 more hp if you go by the old SAE measurements so it would seem that even though it won't lauch like the Subaru, it would catch up during the 1/4 with that extra 50 hp. Timewise it didn't, but the mph was 2 better which means it was catching up, just not as fast as I thought.

Impressive for the LGT. :icon_cool

Car and Drive always does this to the Legacy. Except for the article comparing AWD models last year when the place the Legacy 2nd. They did give alot of props in that article.

It's the little stuff like in the headline placeing pictures of 1,2,and 3 but skipping the legacy in 4th for the pathetic Z that placed 5th.

That was Road and Track that had that article.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived