LegacyGT.com

Speed Limiter

About 150ish.............."closed track experience"

did you factor that in with a speedo inaccuracy reading? I think somewhere along the way, it could be off by 2% due to the tire skipping in the air from hitting the bumps.

I've gotten mine up to about 135 just under a mile straight on the track with a 45 mph running start.. this is on a stock powered GT going uphill.. No soft limiters here as far as know, but something around 137mph to 140mph is where I think the ECU cuts off the timing where 5th gear has a lower rev limit than the other gears..

the easiest (and safer) way to find out is to have your car up on a dyno and just dyno the car in 5th gear until it hits the rev-limiter.. it's much easier to figure that out. Of course, the car will get there faster to 5th gear (or top gear in other words) redline since it's not fighting against the wind.

Keefe

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think someone took it to ~174 at 7.2k or something?

This would not be a stock vehicle pulling this off. I don't think the car would have the ponies needed to rev that high. I know there was pleanty of pedal left at 140, but that doesn't mean that the stock motor could use all of it.

I had a Mustang 5.0 that would do about 138MPH and had plenty of pedal left, but when you floored it it wouldn't go any faster. It think it becomes an aerodynamic vs. power issue at that point. Every MPH faster at that speed costs you exponentially more HP than at say 70MPH. Someone here has done the math on how many ponies it takes to increase speed at that level; I just can't remember who it was.

Let's kick this pig!

what does the LGT top out at?

Don't know, mine did 140 on a closed track and felt like it was still going! Measured by GPS, speedo read within 3-4 MPH at the same time. I'm guessing 160ish based on gearing and red-line as long as you got the HP to get there against drag.

255 km/h or about 158 mph and still very slowly pulling before I let off. Didn't feel any limiter...

stock? i have an 06 LGT 5EAT. it pulls hard to ~100, is still pretty strong up to ~120, gets really weak at 130, and pretty much runs out of OOMPH at 140; although it was still accelerating. i did not notice any limiter either so my car might have been flashed by the previous owner.

strike

Yeppers....

It's stock but you have to remember that I have an 07 spec. B with 6MT. The 6MT helps a bit with top end acceleration and top speed. Also, I think spec. B with 6MT or '07s might have different limiters. I was a bit surprised not to hit one sooner.

In reality getting up to 240 km/h(149 mph) isn't bad but after that the acceleration slows down dramatically. If you keep your foot in it and have enough space 250 ish km/h(155 mph) is achieveable but at this speed your acceleration is really slow but still pulling a bit. You can probably go a bit faster but you would need to either going down a really long staight road, down a slope or have a tail wind to get up to 260 km/h (162 mph) and past in a resonable amount of time.

At those speeds I swear my hood was about to rip off, my hood scoop was bouncing all over the place. I swear I saw the front of my hood lifting a couple times. The fear of having my hood flip back on my me is what stopped me from going further. I suspect that some of the crazy crosswinds I experienced that day could have been affecting the hood at those speeds.

Hopefully, when I can get some local tuning solutions I can go to stage 2 and try out some high speed runs again.

This would not be a stock vehicle pulling this off. I don't think the car would have the ponies needed to rev that high. I know there was pleanty of pedal left at 140, but that doesn't mean that the stock motor could use all of it.

At stock, I had the pedal all the way down, and I'm pretty sure 140mph was the max. It was a little hilly (bumpy at that speed), but slightly declined.

06 LGT Stock Saw 150MPH with a heavy tail wind, the car feels very unstable at that speed, maybe from the tail wind. Did it on the long straight at Sebring, using upgraded brakes to make the corner, dont do top speed runs with factory brakes. I would imagine that the SPEC b is much more stable at those speeds. Did not feel a limiter.

255 km/h or about 158 mph and still very slowly pulling before I let off. Didn't feel any limiter...

I have done over 150 according to what my speedometer was telling me. I am at just about a full stage deux on my manual 05 LGT. It was still slowly going up. The dang curves come up on you a whole lot faster though, it can catch you by surprise, especially when its really dark.

I noticed some disconcerting front end lift but that seems to be an issue on all generation of Legacy's. Also, the day I tried to vmax my car there were some crosswinds but it still wasn't bad enough for me to back off.

I'm hoping that the STI replica lip I ordered will help a bit in clearing the air out at high speed from the front of the car. Will probably have to lower car to get full benefit.

Can't wait to do a turbo swap and see if can get up to 175 mph.

I noticed some disconcerting front end lift but that seems to be an issue on all generation of Legacy's. Also, the day I tried to vmax my car there were some crosswinds but it still wasn't bad enough for me to back off.

I'm hoping that the STI replica lip I ordered will help a bit in clearing the air out at high speed from the front of the car. Will probably have to lower car to get full benefit.

Can't wait to do a turbo swap and see if can get up to 175 mph.

your gearing and redline determines your top speed, then you factor in wind resistance..

putting in a bigger turbo only gets you to terminal velocity faster, but you'll top out based on the factors I already listed.

Keefe

Right...

A spec. B with 6MT, stock 6500 redline and stock wheels should theoritically top out at 179 mph. With a 7200 redline the theoritical top speed would be around 198 mph.

I doubt I'll ever get up to those speeds in the spec. B but if the modding goes to plan you never know. Biggest problem with stock car is not having the power to accelerate up to those speeds in resonable amount time/distance and overcoming wind resistance to get a higher top speed. Mechanically, it looks possible though...

I have done over 150 according to what my speedometer was telling me. I am at just about a full stage deux on my manual 05 LGT. It was still slowly going up. The dang curves come up on you a whole lot faster though, it can catch you by surprise, especially when its really dark.

I got mine up to 140 :eek: and the rpms were right about 5K and still pulling......definitely no speed limiter on mine....;)

I don't go that fast anymore, its just not worth it.

Archived