LegacyGT.com

LGT vs. LGT (at the drag strip)

Went to the track over the weekend and did two runs up to 90/100 mph with another member of this board. The point was to compare our cars in a safe environment and see what if any difference the modifications we've made affect performance. (and to race before I go stage II). We raced two times in sport mode to eliminate potential driver error. The cars' specs and race results are as follows:

Car 1 (Me) is TDC stage I tuned and has megan racing coilovers.

Car 2 has a perrin pulley, sti UP, shorty DP, a TDC stage II tune, and stock suspension.

Both cars have roughly the same milege, same tires, drivers weigh exactly the same, both cars have sway bars. Essentially everything is equal except what is noted above.

Run 1: Car 2 has a 210 pound fat-a$$ passenger in it AAAND gives up the launch to me. I win with the nose of his car next to my rear quarter panel. I am starting to pull harder as we reach and pass 90/100.

Run 2: Car 2 loses the extra baggage and we launch exactly at the same time. He ends up winning with the nose of my car at about the middle of his front door and is pulling ever so slightly at 90/100mph.

So what are your thoughts? I personally thought that Car 2 was going to pull on me much more than it did. I can only come up with 2 explanations:

1. The combination of UP, DP, and stage II map do virtually nothing more than use up more gas and empty your wallet or

2. The superior suspension of Car 1 allowed it to get more power to the ground and kept it in the race despite the power advantage of Car 2.

Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe neither of these explanations make sense and Car 2 was a mechanical F-up from the factory.

Opinions and thoughts welcome...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... or

2. The superior suspension of Car 1 allowed it to get more power to the ground and kept it in the race despite the power advantage of Car 2....

this is possible and very likely given your tested results. But in the end I defer to someone with more knowledge about the subject. They should be along shortly...as I am officially BUMPING this thread...

I have progressed through the stages, 0, 1, 2, TDC 2 and I can say that each stage has given me a kick in the ass at first (until I got used to it), so I can say that something is improving. My gauge for this is the amount of time I have to shift from 1 to 2 to 3. After getting used to the car stock, stg 1 made me feel like a frantic wreck to get into the next gear before hitting red line. After getting used to that, the next stage did the same thing. And yes, the TDC 2 map made me feel the same over the Cobb Stg. 2 map, so I knew that the TDC map wasn't snake oil :)

I think a better way for you to determine the benefit of Stage 2 on your car is to time it the way it is...go stage 2, and time it again. Although all our cars are made at the same place doesn't mean they are equal.

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions:

The driver of Car 2 may very well suck (haha, jk man). No, we just put the car in sport (auto) mode and punched the gas. In other words, there was really no skill involved.

Both cars do have stock rubber.

Both drivers weigh exactly 190.5 lbs...so no, hes not 400.

There is one other thing I forgot about. It is possible that Car 2 has an exhaust leak. I don't think that this alone could account for the result of the races, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

I think a better way for you to determine the benefit of Stage 2 on your car is to time it the way it is...go stage 2, and time it again. Although all our cars are made at the same place doesn't mean they are equal.

Yea, thats the main point. I'm not so sure I want to go stage II now. I'm seriously considering selling my un-installed pipes and staying stage I.

^ Why quit the race now?

In my opinion you have the right idea, upgrading suspension and powertrain together... what a concept! Actually, I think the suspension should be the first thing modified on these cars because even at stock power the suspension can't keep up.

Throw the pipes on, get TDC stage 2 and re-test...

<---anxiously waiting for results...

+1, I did have iONs put on when going stg 2. The car bucked too much at stg. 1, and the springs greatly eliminated that. It has come back a bit with TDC 2, which gave me another indication that it was kicking ass.

Right, so do you guys think that the car squatting so much can slow down the acceleration? I'm not really sure how the AWD system works, but is it possible the car is reducing power to the front wheels under hard acceleration on Car 2?

Yeah...I tried looking for it, maybe someone else has the link, but there is a pic here of a Silver LGT owner launching at the track, and his front end is WAY up in the air. I know the owner commented on his setup, but I can't remember if it was stock or not. It had to be judging by how high his front end was in the air. I don't know if it is a factor of the car reducing power to the wheels, I think it is more of a factor of the weight transfer of the car during launch that slows it down. Like if your front end tips way up, all that weight is getting thrown back....then when it comes down, all that weight is coming down in the opposite direction. I can't imagine that being good for drag times.

Car one actually had more gas...maybe up to a quarter of a tank. That would make the results even more strange.

what are you talking about melayout...im not following.

No, we just put the car in sport (auto) mode and punched the gas. In other words, there was really no skill involved.

You roll-in on the gas. Punching it will be slower.

I keed I keeed

Archived