LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit if the driveline flex is at the other end, why do the engine mountshelp? So if the engine mounts are used in conjunction with the STi tranny mount for the 5MT and the Rallispec for the %eat, it should almost take it away but for what I've read, that is not the case.

Also, why when colder does it sound more if rubber becomes softer with heat, not the way arround. More power generated?

At least you didn't notice any NVH with the engine mounts but I wonder if I'll be that lucky!

I think the issue is a harmonic issue, the culprit being the whole drive-line.

That being said, I have the STI tranny mount, (have always had it, so I don't know the difference it made).

I can definitely still make the noise, but there is no question it is much much better now.

I actually do notice increased NVH, it is only at idle, and only when the car is warmed up and operating at 750 rpm idle. Anything else, and it is transparent.

I can have my R&D dept look at making some bushing inserts like our 5EAT mount. Would that help?

An insert that goes right into the hollow portion of the OEM pieces would be ideal, also be something many DIYers could do, thus making it profitable.;)

DO IIIIIT!

Oh, and send the first one to me for testing.:wub:

Nope!

To me for bringing him to this thread from the tranny mount thread I have! :p

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1572767&postcount=124

Thanks anyway! ;)

You live in Florida.

Please!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

After 3 months with the filled bushings the results are pretty good. I had no growl down to 30 degrees or so. But after some consistant 20 degree days of leaving my car outside at work the growl has returned somewhat. Maybe 25% back, nowhere near as loud as it used to be.

Sean, How about a poly bushing kit for the entire rear suspension? I'd buy it.

I'm close to buying a block of Delrin and have a local machine shop replace every bushing I can unbolt and take to them. lateral links, lower diff crossmember, and trailing arms.

After 3 months with the filled bushings the results are pretty good. I had no growl down to 30 degrees or so. But after some consistant 20 degree days of leaving my car outside at work the growl has returned somewhat. Maybe 25% back, nowhere near as loud as it used to be.

Sean, How about a poly bushing kit for the entire rear suspension? I'd buy it.

I'm close to buying a block of Delrin and have a local machine shop replace every bushing I can unbolt and take to them. lateral links, lower diff crossmember, and trailing arms.

For those two you have to unbolt almost everything to take out the crossmember piece that's why the insert is a better idea for those ones!

Hey, I have 60ºs and 70ºs and it does it. So if my car were where you live, the diff would have fallen out by now! :lol:

I can do it in 60s and 70s too.

Imagine how bad it is in the -30s!

Too bad, you lose.........:lol:

^ So that would indicate that the problem gets worse over time.

Do the bushings get worn or something is actually disintegrating in the diff?

It is not just those bushings at fault. It is the whole drive train looseness, which gets worse over time.

Those two bushings happen to be the most offending culprit.

Nothing is disintegrating.

Hey, I don't know, I am just asking!

I have stock power and I am at perhaps 5-10mm below stock height and I am getting it and it bugs me. That's all.