LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

Do the real deal if necessary. I think many would rip off the diff and subframe to fix the problem right (I would).

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - I saw that. I was just emphasizing that inserts I think are the best bet on this so far.

Turn in Concept's 08 STI is one sexy ride.:cool: I saw it out on track at Autobahn Country Club the end of last month.

I've got my bushings filled with the poly goo and 70% or more of the NVH is gone with this fix. I'm actually considering removing the rear suspension and subframe (if this can be done with all bolts) and having a local machine shop create some solid aluminum or delrin bushings for the rear diff carrier and control arm bushings.

Turn in Concept's 08 STI is one sexy ride.:cool: I saw it out on track at Autobahn Country Club the end of last month.

I've got my bushings filled with the poly goo and 70% or more of the NVH is gone with this fix. I'm actually considering removing the rear suspension and subframe (if this can be done with all bolts) and having a local machine shop create some solid aluminum or delrin bushings for the rear diff carrier and control arm bushings.

While the 'poly goo' is some really great stuff and makes this mod possible, in my experience it isn't enough alone to do the job here. I tried a variety of things before coming up with what worked best for me; the PVC inserts I described earlier, all then molded together with the poly goo. Because of how well the poly really works, however, once you have it firmly in there removing it to do something else, like put some solid inserts in, may prove VERY difficult to impossible. Therefore, think hard about what to do.

The PVC inserts I used are incredibly easy to fashion, requiring but minutes with a hacksaw to cut. It is that messy goo that's the pain :), requiring one's fingers to properly fill, shape and mold things properly. And, DO NOT MOVE THE CAR FOR ONE FULL DAY AFTERWARD. It takes longer for the poly to harden, but you can drive it, CAREFULLY, after a day. Two days is even better. If you rush it, and drive before the poly has hardened enough, the mod will not be wholly effective. For me, that was a tough thing to do.... modify the car and let it sit for a couple of days, but I did.

Later I did the same thing to my rear LCA front bushings. They are a lot harder to do and get to, but are a necessity to do. Finally, I installed Rallitek's original (large!!), hard, transmission support insert (for my 5EAT).

I no longer have the driveline noises that plagued me for over two years, and I have a lot more horsepower now. (Those "noises" were the result of driveline movement I am convinced broke my rear diff and, possibly, rear axel.) No need to rip things out (although I did a lot of ripping out along the way :()

On that subject of removing the rear subframe so aftermarket bushings can be installed: any manufacturer who is silly enough to market one will lose money. If you've ever replaced such a bushing, like I did with the front LCA bushings, you know the degree of difficulty involved. If people think a little PVC and 3M WS Poly is tough..... try multiplying that a few dozen times. Furthermore, the rear diff bushings are but PART of the solution, you'ld need ones for the rear LCA's front bushings as well.... etc.

As far as solid bushings, I don't think anyone wants to do that. Unless one has a track only vehicle, totally modified for the purpose, solid bushings would be too punishing. As it is, these more firm bushings changed the nature of my car, NVH wise. Just having a car that works without protesting, however, makes it well worth it to me.

Finally, if an aftermarket insert, like the one for the transmission mount, could be crafted of a hard enough material and filled the spaces in the bushing(s) (remember the LCA) it might work. But then, so does a little PVC and some goo :).

Please do but do you mean solid compared to having the gaps on top and bottom? Wonder if we can use Impreza bushings.

I mean solid compared to having no gaps on one side, and the other has very thin gaps.

I have new new 2008 Group N catalog. I will check for replacements there. OD and tube thickness seems to be around 55mm. If someone has their legacy apart currently can they measure width. I believe they are around the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And I do not make the noise anymore, in any temperature or under any circumstance......;)

Where once the wheel hop and driveline flailing, directly or indirectly, caused failure of a rear diff and a rear axel, the car now does what it's asked without complaint. Most was eliminated by my rear diff bushing mods. The rest went after I modified the rear lower control arms' front bushings, and installed the Rallitek transmission support insert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Recall on the wheel bearings????? More info or link?

You haven't heard about this?

I hadn't either but Subaru sent me some paperwork and later paid me every cent I paid, about two years ago!, to get one of my rear wheel bearings replaced. I'd decided to get someone I trusted to replace it instead of the local "dealership," who had demonstrated their incompetence. I willingly paid out of pocket for it. All I had to do to get reimbursed was provide copies of my receipts along with Subaru's paperwork. Amazed me.

There isn't any TSB # on the letter they sent me. As a registered owner of a "2005 or 2006" I was being notified that either one or both of my rear wheel bearings could be bad........etc. They advised that the warranty coverage for my rear wheel bearings was being extended to "8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

"Subaru of America, Inc

Attention: Legacy/Outback Rear Wheel Bearing Extended Warranty Program

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000"

It's under Subaru TSB 03-58-08. Here's crappy jpegs as the TSB is too large to upload by itself. Here's also a link, but it's going down shortly so get it while you can. TSB 03-58-08

1675159682_TSB03-53-08Pg1(1046x768).thumb.jpg.c5119b4630a8c506a86a8fe0e736f1b9.jpg

1809049482_TSB03-53-08Pg2(1046x768).thumb.jpg.0c206abb5cb1fcfb53a0d203558d8826.jpg

1281099375_TSB03-53-08Pg3(1046x768).thumb.jpg.cde25bb67523af8886b0b84ca4eb2008.jpg

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

For the people who thik its diff related (like me), i found somthing interesting on japanparts.com in the handling and braking section. A reinforced diff member.

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=15720

Maybe this will help solve the issue.