LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

Some of the post in this thread describe the "Growling" as a noise issue.

I think some may be experiencing something other than what this thread was started for, and posting in here about noises. In my case the "Growling" is preceded by a "Vibration" which can be felt through out the chassis.

If you think you have the Growling,do you also have the Vibration????

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...that nobody has a definitive source, let alone cure (besides don't mash the gas pedal).

On t he contrary.

The source is an inadequately controlled suspension, the same issue with any car producing enough energy to cross the car's traction threshold. On our cars that is exacerbated by our floppy two piece drive shaft, which can thump the underside of the car pretty heavily once the whole load/unload oscillation starts.

The cure is to remove the latitude of flexibility in the drivetrain and suspension as I have previously outlined.

Simple. But the eventual consequences is not so simple; Keep making that noise long and hard enough and you will replace expensive parts.

On t he contrary.

The source is an inadequately controlled suspension, the same issue with any car producing enough energy to cross the car's traction threshold. On our cars that is exacerbated by our floppy two piece drive shaft, which can thump the underside of the car pretty heavily once the whole load/unload oscillation starts.

The cure is to remove the latitude of flexibility in the drivetrain and suspension as I have previously outlined.

Simple. But the eventual consequences is not so simple; Keep making that noise long and hard enough and you will replace expensive parts.

Sorry, but one person's experience does not equate to definitive evidence of a cause and cure. Your statements that it's the result of "inadequately controlled suspension" and "floppy two piece drive shaft" are rather vague as they do not address specifically which components of these are the culprits. You "believe" modifying the rear diff bushings, the rear LCA front bushings and installing the Rallitek transmission bushing insert was the cure on your car. However, you have also replaced your rear diff, AT, TC, and a rear axle as well.

Not saying you're solution is wrong, I'm just not sure that enough evidence has been collected yet to say for sure this is the absolute cure for everybody that has experienced this.

Sorry, but one person's experience does not equate to definitive evidence of a cause and cure. Your statements that it's the result of "inadequately controlled suspension" and "floppy two piece drive shaft" are rather vague as they do not address specifically which components of these are the culprits. You "believe" modifying the rear diff bushings, the rear LCA front bushings and installing the Rallitek transmission bushing insert was the cure on your car. However, you have also replaced your rear diff, AT, TC, and a rear axle as well.

Not saying you're solution is wrong, I'm just not sure that enough evidence has been collected yet to say for sure this is the absolute cure for everybody that has experienced this.

Apparently, you have never drag raced seriously. If you had you would be familiar with the principles, which are simple. Subarus are not unique, nor the 'problem' endlessly debated herein.

ANYONE who has had a fast street car since Muscle Cars arrived knows about "inadequately controlled suspension" and the methods to remedy the resultant issues. Wheel hop has taken out countless rear diffs, among other things.

I've lost diffs to the track before due to torque. Learning how to correct problems for me didn't come from sitting in front of a computer asking for someone to present enough 'evidence.' I got under the car.

Being a record holder means you did something better than anyone else at that time. To do that you have to be in front with solutions, not behind collecting evidence.

I fixed MY car and shared how I did it.

well...I also found my growling and vibrating issue... it's been doing this for well over 20k miles....and was aparently missed because the crack began at the top... so when inspecting from underneath everything appeared ok. http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd179/00mred00/SSPX0074.jpg

Apparently, you have never drag raced seriously. If you had you would be familiar with the principles, which are simple. Subarus are not unique, nor the 'problem' endlessly debated herein.

ANYONE who has had a fast street car since Muscle Cars arrived knows about "inadequately controlled suspension" and the methods to remedy the resultant issues. Wheel hop has taken out countless rear diffs, among other things.

I've lost diffs to the track before due to torque. Learning how to correct problems for me didn't come from sitting in front of a computer asking for someone to present enough 'evidence.' I got under the car.

Being a record holder means you did something better than anyone else at that time. To do that you have to be in front with solutions, not behind collecting evidence.

I fixed MY car and shared how I did it.

:rolleyes:

You fixed your car. You found something that works for your situation. Good for you and thanks for sharing.

:rolleyes:

You fixed your car. You found something that works for your situation. Good for you and thanks for sharing.

You're welcome...... but after 33 pages and almost 500 posts on the subject of

Growling noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

I don't think my "situation" is unique. With some relatively small variations on the theme our car's suspensions are about like human bodies, different by far smaller degrees than they are the same.

Similarly, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to suspect that a cure for one just might be a cure for others with the same problem. Thirty three pages. Nearly five hundred posts. Most who post have not addressed their cars in the manner of the few who report successful treatment of the problem. Talking about it and wishing for some gadget magic won't get it fixed.

Sarcasm aside, the source of the "Growling noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??" isn't some anthropomorphic bolt back there taunting people. What it is is what I said it is :). Take the slop out of YOUR driveline and suspension and YOUR noise will go away, too.

It would be nice if a trusted vendor suddenly announced a package full of goodies guaranteed to end the Growling noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??. I'll say it again, ain't gonna happen. Too hard to fix that way, for too few people. No money to be made. Which leaves people to continue to wring their hands and pound the keyboards in vain.... or get under their car, get dirty , and do something that makes sense to correct it.

Did I mention I fixed mine?:D

I've done rear diff bushing inserts, not as elaborate as yours, but they did help. The Rallitek AT trans mount insert (race version) however made absolutely no difference as far as the rear "growl" is concerned besides masking it some with the increased noise transmitted into the cabin.

I can only produce the noise with full throttle from a standstill, or with a moderately hard acceleration turning left from a stop. It does seem to be more "severe" when cold outside. I assume that it's due to increased torque output with the denser air.

I whole-heartedly agree with the "take the slop out of YOUR driveline and suspension and YOUR noise will go away, too" statement but I don't think your three point solution of modifying the rear diff bushings, the rear LCA front bushings and installing the Rallitek transmission bushing insert will work for everybody as implied. For some? yes. For many? maybe. For all? unlikely.

Can one of the moderators close this thread now please? It seems to be quite upsetting to SeeeeeYa and he just can't keep from returning to it even though the case is closed and warrants no further discussion as far as he's concerned. ;)

well, engine mounts in as of 8 this am...mine is gone....

hope you all figure yours out.

the mount originally cracked on top first, so no one caught that it was bad till it cracked all the way down recently.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that I keep trying to figure out is the install. From looking at the car locally, and how difficult it was to even just get to the bushings I have to think of some way that a normal human can do this.

As this point I am resigned to the fact that perhaps an insert would be best for the rear diff bushings.

The reason being it would be much easier to install. Just a couple of nuts, some grease, push the insert in, and re-apply nuts.

Rallitek has more experience on inserts than we do though so I'd like to know their thoughts.