LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

thanks!

Some, if not most, have aftermarket suspension so we tried that route! Installing tranny bushing(in box in garage) as soon as I can. Ordered the engine pitch mount and going to order the engine mounts.

Sean, no love? :p

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I read all 30 pages, i'm board. If it is any constellation guys I had the same prob in my Impreza in first (launch) second (hard acc) and sometimes third if it was a chilly or cold day. I replaced my struts all around (AGX/KYB) and the problem went away.

AWESOME thread BTW, very informative.

Thats what I was hoping for as a fix. I've got the window welded rear bushings and just put Bilstein HD's on. No dice, still does.

Yeah I read all 30 pages, i'm board. If it is any constellation guys I had the same prob in my Impreza in first (launch) second (hard acc) and sometimes third if it was a chilly or cold day. I replaced my struts all around (AGX/KYB) and the problem went away.

AWESOME thread BTW, very informative.

+1000

I had this is use for 2 years bought Bilstein struts and the problem went away instantly. Oh I also had H-techs with stock struts and it was real bad then.

Denial is your best friend

Thats what I was hoping for as a fix. I've got the window welded rear bushings and just put Bilstein HD's on. No dice, still does.

+1000

I had this is use for 2 years bought Bilstein struts and the problem went away instantly. Oh I also had H-techs with stock struts and it was real bad then.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This thread is the reason that holds me from buying AP more than its price tag. I honestly thank god I even found this thread since this symtom is not that

well known in the community. Not everyone who went to stage 1 has it, but I will for sure since I live in Canada.

IDK but I didn't hear anything all winter and the only change was the struts.

When I put on the Bilsteins it helped with the noise, then it just took either more torque or colder weather to make it.

When I put on my KW2s, same thing, even better, but more torque, colder..........................................

I wonder if i or anyone can replicate this problem on a 4 wheel dyno?

It would help so much if someone could look at, and listen to the car while this is occuring. For me as i have posted above, 5th gear cruise at 60mph... plant foot wait for boost to come in and Bingo! Driveline growl.

Start this pull from a higher speed,say 75mph and there is no growling:spin:.

Anyone know or hear of any 07+ Spec B's with this noise? Please no lame ass jokes about Specs. I ask because they have the 6 speed and possibly different drivetrain / rear axle components.

I wonder if i or anyone can replicate this problem on a 4 wheel dyno?

It would help so much if someone could look at, and listen to the car while this is occuring. For me as i have posted above, 5th gear cruise at 60mph... plant foot wait for boost to come in and Bingo! Driveline growl.

Start this pull from a higher speed,say 75mph and there is no growling:spin:.

Anyone know or hear of any 07+ Spec B's with this noise? Please no lame ass jokes about Specs. I ask because they have the 6 speed and possibly different drivetrain / rear axle components.

You can lay under my car and listen while I am on a dyno creating 350 wht.:lol:

I think Rallitek will have an answer shortly. I will be testing ASAP!;)

I can do that if you wish....

Sure.

I do think the problem is figured out though.

It is not one bushing, it is the whole assembly. The worst bushings are the two almost non-existent ones at the top of the diff. We just don't have any replacements yet, but Sean tells me to expect a sample soon to test. It was almost 0F here this morning, but the temps are getting warmer, and harder to test this cold weather induced problem, at least for this year.

It seems that better dampers help, better engine mounts help, better tranny mount helps, less torque helps:p, hopefully the bushing inserts will help, if they don't completely solve the problem (seems likely they will as the ones you filled in there bushing report success) then there are two other diff bushings, which I think can be gotten (for the MT) from a Japanese company.

If the noise is not then completely gone then there is the center bearing that holds the prop shaft. Hope that isn't it.

well, here temps are in the 80's and I have the noise!

I can make the noise in the 100s, if I want.

It just gets worse in the cold. If it solves the problem for you, great, but it may not solve the problem for us in the north.

If it solves the problem at -40, then I would say it is 100% solved.:)

I have the same issue. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I just got a new diff, and the same problem is still happening. I have 90k + miles on my car, and they said a tooth was out of the diff and needed to be replaced when I took it in for a flush. At least it was still under warranty.

I had the noise when I was stock with a hitch. The problem continued with AP Stage 1. I've kind of always thought it sounded like it came fom the exhaust, but I haven't spent much time on the problem. :confused:

'05 LGT

AT

Although all the information is contained elsewhere in this thread, I'll describe my approach to this issue.

OK, so I have given the poor car hell :), I have replaced the rear diff for munched spider gears, the failed 5EAT and TC, and now a destroyed rear axel. The rear wheel bearing wasn't my fault. But until the axel finally went this past week I STILL had a noise when accelerating.... despite modifying or changing my drive line bushings. Now that the bad axel is gone, the noises are gone .... GONE :).

My point is this;

It was modifying the rear diff bushings first that made the most difference. After that I similarly modified my rear LCA front bushings which reduced the noises even further. Finally I installed the Rallitek transmission bushing insert. With these three things done it is my belief the drive train was made firm enough to eliminate the noises for which this thread was dedicated.

:lol: well, only growl I got was the wheel bearings so those were replaced and fixed. Now I'm going to have to pay more attention and listen for any odd noises.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I never installed the tranny mounts. Only thing were the Cobb RSB and rear endlinks, had S-tech springs for the first 2 yrs and then switched to coilovers. But my exhaust drowned out just about any kind of noise and since I did the STI swap, the car made all sorts of wierd noises. It could be that I do have the growl, just never realized it. :(
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!