LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also started to hear some whining from the shifter/ transmisson area along with the growling rear. Has anyone heard the whinig trans too? It seems to go away after a couple miles.

I also have the whining/humming sound. It happens consistenly/noticeable when I am doing 50mph or more but you can only hear it when I am doing a constant steady speedy. As soon as I let my foot off the gas I don't hear it and as soon as I accelerate I don't hear it. Based on someone else on the board they had their center diff replaced and it went away.

I have this same noise, it happened when I moved to Stage 2, I am leaning toward the LSD......I have a 5EAT....it sounds and feels like wheel hop.......but it is definately coming from the powertrain somewhere!!!! I cant wait to find out what it is, IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!!

^ As I suspected. Bushings. I suggested that it might be subframe bushings but it was certainly some type of bushings were being affected by cold temps and allowing the differential to twist.

This is still relatively a new model but the rubber bits are now beginning to age.

This is still relatively a new model but the rubber bits are now beginning to age.

I don't think it has anything to do with age, rather an insufficient bushing durometer vs. increased power levels that seems to be exacerbated by cold temperatures.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Before everyone rushes out to buy bushings... we should find a vendor, install them on 1 car, and make sure that it fixes the problem.

As of a couple months ago when I did a lot of searching, nobody is making them yet. There are a few web vendors that list a Whiteline, SuperPro and/or KartBoy Rear Diff Support 'Front' Bushing kit for the Legacy but they are actually for the Impreza and don't work on the Legacy.

I also get this, stock springs, under VERY hard acceleration in 1st.

Casopolis gets it to, BAD, with H-Techs.

My feeling is that it has to do with bushings that can't do their job any more when the torque combined with the squat under hard acceleration pushes on them, and what we are feeling/hearing is the vibrating parts of the drivetrain actually touching their mounting points (instead of being isolated by the bushing).

This is worse in a lowered car because you have already gotten the car closer to the point where it touches.