LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another update:

Got mine back from the dealer on Friday. Dealer stated "Normal cold weather operation" Temperature was in the -30's Cel. I could easily do it @ 3/4 throttle in 1-2.

Car went back on Monday for a stuck thermostat..................................:(

Another update:

Got mine back from the dealer on Friday. Dealer stated "Normal cold weather operation" Temperature was in the -30's Cel. I could easily do it @ 3/4 throttle in 1-2.

Car went back on Monday for a stuck thermostat..................................:(

Too bad. too bad. Thanks for trying though.

I am thinking it could also be our weak tranny mount. I will be changing this out and looking to change out all bushings dealing with the rear diff.

I can produce this sound in all gears. Under heavy acceleration it is very loud and sounds like rubber stretching and grunting . It is a little scarry going down the track listening to this noise which cant be good.

I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will step in if I am, but when you lower your car and/or stiffen up the springs you reduce the squat and the torque that goes to creating this squat now looks for other weak spots to bend and twist. My guess is this torque is having lots of fun with bushings and mounts on our driveline. This is just a guess, but sure does sound good :icon_mrgr .

When it is really cold out... mine sounds TERRIBLE! Sounds like the driveshaft is bouncing off the floorboards!

:eek:

This sounds like the stock sti that I test drove (very hard ). Every time I would shift gears or launch the car hard it sounded like someone hitting the floor board with a hammer. Tranny mounts reduce this problem.

This sounds like the stock sti that I test drove (very hard ). Every time I would shift gears or launch the car hard it sounded like someone hitting the floor board with a hammer. Tranny mounts reduce this problem.

Nah.. it's not that sound. I know that sound.

This is the constant growling that we have all experienced....

I am thinking it could also be our weak tranny mount. I will be changing this out and looking to change out all bushings dealing with the rear diff.

I can produce this sound in all gears. Under heavy acceleration it is very loud and sounds like rubber stretching and grunting . It is a little scarry going down the track listening to this noise which cant be good.

I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will step in if I am, but when you lower your car and/or stiffen up the springs you reduce the squat and the torque that goes to creating this squat now looks for other weak spots to bend and twist. My guess is this torque is having lots of fun with bushings and mounts on our driveline. This is just a guess, but sure does sound good :icon_mrgr .

I think you may be on to something, the diff bushings look weak to me. I think you are right about the lowering concept making it worse, not the problem, but exaggerating the problem.

I have upgraded my tranny mount (the common one) and it did not seem to make any differece.

I was thinking about this today since I have had the problem for quite awhile....

Who here has upgraded exhaust hangers? I don't and since the stock ones are looser then a 50 y.o. hooker, maybe the noise is from the exhaust banging against something and those with upgraded hangers or even exhaust are not getting this sound.

Just a thought and another option that could be rulled out.

I was thinking about this today since I have had the problem for quite awhile....

Who here has upgraded exhaust hangers? I don't and since the stock ones are looser then a 50 y.o. hooker, maybe the noise is from the exhaust banging against something and those with upgraded hangers or even exhaust are not getting this sound.

Just a thought and another option that could be rulled out.

I have worm clamps over the hangers to tighten them up. Still have the growling noise.

I notice the same too. I'm just glad that more and more people are coming out on this. I thought my car was F$ckd when I was the only one getting it.

+1!!!!!!

thanks for posting this mccorry:icon_bigg

I thought for sure my rear diff was mush:(

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

On more investigation I find it is a lot easier to induce the noise on an accelerating right turn vs accelerating left.

If our engines spin the same way most RWDs do (spins rr tire because it tries to lift it) then this has to be coming from something in the rear sub-frame, diff, or rear drivetrain.

I thought it may be from the center bearing, but I don't think what I have recently found supports that theory.

Also, it sounds like it is coming from the rear.

Yeah, I think I'm getting the same noise as you all. Especially under a hard right turn and REALLY jumping on it I get a .......ratcheting noise is the best way I can describe it. I can't localize the sound though. Only happens for a second or two then disappears. Temps seem to have to be cold to do it. I also got this same sound when I turned into my street. There's a slight hump at the entrance and the suspension loads up if you hit it at slow speed but full on the throttle. I can induice this sound when I hit the hump thus loading up the suspension/drivetrain momentarily which leads me to believe it's possibly the clutchpacks somewhere slipping. Center diff, rear....? Before anyone says it, I'm not pulling some Dukes of Hazard stupid slam the car into speed bumps; I'm talking a mild subtle rise in the road.