LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i needed new headlights and purchased these after reading your thread. i blacked them out, just waiting to put on the car after some bumper work is done.

they look so much better then the stock lights.

agreed. i hope my thread helped u a bit. i cant rly add much to these forums in the tuning/powertrain sector really cause im pretty n00bish in all relatively. things i know, im happy to share and for everything else.... always ready to learn...

@ BaagheeraLGT - Your pup looks like he wants to eat them. LOL Cute ;)

thnx, and yea he was trying to. hes bigger now, but im sure will still give me a hand tomorrow (i guess later today now.....) when i break open this second set. ive got 2 labs. one is a yr and a half and the other turns 1 in october.

i noticed we have the same wheels too. tarmac 2s if im not mistaken...... nice choice. what size are you running?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody tried these amber LEDs to replace the stock bulbs?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Corner-Parking-Marker-Backup/dp/B001R2O75O/ref=pd_sim_auto_2]Amazon.com: One Pair 3157 AMBER 31 LED Light(2 Bulbs) /12v / Turn Signal Light[/ame]

lol

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

NP - Glad to be of assistance. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I installed some Sylvania 3157A/4157A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light. They are iridescent when off and amber with turn signal. However, the rate of blinking is much faster than before. Is this normal? Did I get the wrong bulb?

I installed some Sylvania 3157A/4157A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light. They are iridescent when off and amber with turn signal. However, the rate of blinking is much faster than before. Is this normal? Did I get the wrong bulb?

You got this?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-3157A-4157A-ST-Performance/dp/B000AMW0FQ]Amazon.com: Sylvania 3157A/4157A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light: Automotive[/ame]

That's what I had planned on getting, glad you mentioned it. Maybe someone can chime in.

lol

Are all of your turn-signal lights fully functional? did one burn out?

• 2 weeks later...

Was there anything special the 08-09 guys had to do to get the amber off? I thought I read somewhere that it's not as easy as the 05-07 guys. Did you just break it off?

I had no problems with the grill. I actually was able to get the grill off before I figured out how to get the bumper off. The lower part of the grill is attached from the back side by four screws while the upper part is attached by the plastic pop-its and plastic screws (they should be pretty obvious). They are small and fairly hidden, so if you can get the bumper off, it is much easier to get the grill off second. I was able to reach up behind the grill and use one of my wife's small mirrors to find the screws. That's the more difficult way to go though.

Another little note on the headlights. You can see that my lights still have the "ribs" where the corner lenses/blinkers are located. When you go to remove the amber color, if you don't like the ribs you can remove the entire piece of plastic that contains the amber and ribs. I had to break the amber piece off and do a little sanding to clean up the corner piece with the ribs. Not a big job, but extra work if you don't like the extra stuff in the headlight housing. I didn't realize this till I was already done, but I still like the look. I think the plastic ribs help throw the blinker light around. Just thought you might like to know that that option is available. If you look around through the forums you can find a few 08-09 LGT's that have removed the entire corner piece. I think it looks good both ways.

You can kind of see what I was talking about with the headlight corner in this image. Unfortunately I don't have a better image of the bumper.

"I had to break the amber piece off and do a little sanding to clean up the corner piece with the ribs."

The amber piece is attached in two spots (if I remember correctly). It was either glued or melted together when originally assembled, so you if you want to remove just the amber piece then you will have to carefully break off the amber piece at the two attaching points. I used a razorblade to help break the amber piece off and shave off any extra amber color that remains (I only had to scrape off a little bit). Sand paper would also work.

Good Luck!

"I had to break the amber piece off and do a little sanding to clean up the corner piece with the ribs."

The amber piece is attached in two spots (if I remember correctly). It was either glued or melted together when originally assembled, so you if you want to remove just the amber piece then you will have to carefully break off the amber piece at the two attaching points. I used a razorblade to help break the amber piece off and shave off any extra amber color that remains (I only had to scrape off a little bit). Sand paper would also work.

Good Luck!

Just a thought (don't have an 08) on the contour groups we had the same issue and rather than snapping things apart we began to drill small holes the tabs where the amber was melted to the chrome until it seperated... creates lots of dust so you really have to clean up before you re seal 'em but much less chance of snapping things in half that you didn't mean to...

Just like most of the people reading this thread, still trying to work up the courage to get this done.

Stupid question, but didnt see it mentioned in my scan through 57 pages (though, im sure it is)... There is no difference in headlight assemblies between the gt and non gt's right? The same instructions will apply to my 07 SE?

just wanted to triple check before baking a part of my car.

man, that sounds wrong.

^Yes all headlights from 05-06 are the same and 07-09 are the same. ****Just make sure you get the right one for your year.***
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

The amber piece in the 07-09 light is glued in at three tabs and the edge (all the way around). Best method I have found is to let it heat inthe oven seperately for a longer period then CAREFULLY use the heat gun and plastic wedge to get the glue to let go the rest of the way.

I offer clearing for $120 per set. $170 if I remove and replace them. I am in So Cal and am a forum vendor now.