LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

If anyone is gonna do this mod... can you take some pictures and measurements of the projectors? I want to know if I can find D2S based projectors that will fit exact or very close to the stock projectors' mounts.

Also... is there a specific waterproof silicon sealent(brand and/or type) you would recommend?

thank you.

why need a D2S bulb HID kit when there's like a billion other H1, H3, H7 or 9003 to 9007 based HID kits out there that are plug and play? Is there something that I am missing or is there something about must having a S2S or D2S bulb??

Keefe

Keefe

why need a D2S bulb HID kit when there's like a billion other H1, H3, H7 or 9003 to 9007 based HID kits out there that are plug and play? Is there something that I am missing or is there something about must having a S2S or D2S bulb??

Keefe

well I put on D2S and has to trim the cover but not a big deal, I find D2S 4300K, (the one I have), has a nicer color then the H7! Im not sure why is that but I compared mine to a freind's and mine is nicer. I dont know the physical difference tho.

I'm in the middle of doing this right now. You have to take the bumper off to get 2 or 3 screws underneath the housing. The 2 push clips in the tire well are a pain to get out and i'm not real sure how they're gonna get back in there. Like the writeup says, theres 7 push clips on the bottom and 2 in the well. Getting all of the cables unplugged from the lights was probably the hardest thing so far. Now out into the garage to use the heat gun.

For you guys that have already done this, was heating up the housing as big of a pain in the ass to do as mine just was. First tried the oven at 170 for 10 minutes, still stuck. I head out to try the heat gun and eventually it comes apart. Not a clean come apart either. I'm gonna try the other one in the over at a higher temp to see if that helps.

Well, completed the mod and it looks great. Unfortunately, my work is not done, as I believe I may have fried the new horns I put on after a run through the car wash. Looks like the bumper is coming off again next weekend.

1391008140_legacy_cleared002.jpg.a5d72ef416cf511e69d001cdb95bdd68.jpg

Because of the placement of the connectors on the horns, I placed them with the trumpets pointing up. After I ran through the car wash, I got out to take the pics and noticed steam or smoke coming out of the hood scoop. I initially just figured it was from the automatic car wash spraying water into the hood scoop and onto the hot engine. When I got home, I tried to honk the horn for a friend and only got a high, faint tone, about half the power of the stockers. So without taking the front apart to check yet, I'm assuming water got into the trumpets. I'll have a better idea of what went on when I have time to get it apart next weekend.

Has anybody tried to take the bottom engine cover off instead of the bumper as another way to get to the horns? More or less work? I'll probably just take the front end off again because I know how and what not to do to screw anything up.

I would think the front clip would be easier to take off relative to the access you will need. The area under the resonator box is tight...I can't imagine working on the horns from above or below. I had a hard enough time getting it all to sit right with the bumper cover completely off.

280 for 8 minutes...

then before you put it back together, 280 for 5 minutes then seal back together

I used this for both my legacy, and 2 other 04 wrx's.

just curious, but when you put the housing in the oven do you put it directly on the rack?

Patagonian: That's what I pretty much figured. I'll have to stop by the dealership to pick up a few of those bumper push clips for the bottom just in case.

L-Train: I put the headlights on some foil on a cookie sheet. Probably a safer bet than putting them on the rack and risk the chance of the unit melting around the rails.

*it is at this point that one could paint the housing black. i did it on my WRX and it looked AWESOME. this time i elected not to do it.*

if one were to paint the housing black, what type of paint would you recommend, and what part is being referred to as the housing exactly. sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

just curious, but when you put the housing in the oven do you put it directly on the rack?

nope, i put it on a flat cookie sheet... when i did one of the wrx's the silicone dripped through a couple of the holes so some tin foil on the cookie sheet is also a good idea...