LegacyGT.com

legacy STI?...

I will boycott if a wagon version is not available. Though I think one would be brought over just becuase of the percentage of Legacys that are wagons sold.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i just want a car that is 70% close to the refinement of a bmw (read creature comforts) with navi 6 spd and at 30-32K USD in price and can take M3's (even by a fraction of a second). the legacy STi IMHO is the closest to that goal. Oh BTW test drove a GTL over the wk end. Gobs of power (read FFAASSSTTTT) but SOA missed a few things. No navi Lousy armrest (door and center). Nice try with the dash lights but falls way short (when compared to Accord or Acura TSX) Leather is good but not nice enough when compared to Acura TSX Sound system sux No steering controls for audio/cruise (old school cruise controller) Ugly/cheap/lousy plastic - key (fob not integrated with key) No xenon headlites Non-adjustable headlites lack of knee and foot room (my complaint with subaru since the 91 legacy) was that an ash-tray (i cant even reach it)? if you can get the cup holders right then dont bother putting them in PROS: power+ awd = i will loose my liscence in 3 weeks guaranteed nice sportshift (really wanted to drive the 5 spd but the only unit was out and i didnt wanna wait) supportive seats did i say power + awd Well the dealer was an Acura and Subaru dealer, so i got a chance to sit in a TSX. Now i gotta decide whether i want the AWD and power more or the creature comforts and better fit/finish of the TSX

It's very evident from your post that the GT is too much for you. And if you expect the Legacy STi to be remotely more refined than the GT, you'd be dreamin. Please head towards the 'other' brands. Driver's car Legacy GT. Lady's car = TSX/TL. <---- from obeservation of course!

[quote name='gtguy']Why, when the Legacy GT is already faster than the MazdaSpeed? I repeat, what will enhance the possibility of Subaru's creating, then importing an STi is Legacy GT sales numbers, bottom-line reality that shows SOA that the USDM is serious about a high-performance Legacy. When the WRX blew up, it made it easy to justify bringing over an Impreza STi. There are surveys, etc, about a higher-performance Legacy that are being compiled and eventually will be sent to Subaru. Far be it from me to scoff at the work of anyone, but anybody can say that they will buy a high-performance Legacy, such as an STi model. It's another thing altogether to put your $35K (don't kid yourselves if you think such a car would be cheaper than that) where your mouth is, instead of saying, "$35,000 for a Subaru? I can get an Acura TL, or (insert prestige marque here) for that." Might a Legacy STi become a reality? Sure. But Legacy GT sales are going to have to be a whole lot better than they are for such a reality to occur. And at present, that 7-passenger vehicle is occupying hearts and minds at Subaru. Kevin[/QUOTE] I'm not so sure about the legacy Gt being faster than the mazdaspeed6, Isn't it supposed to be awd 280 turbocharged hp.

SuBart, Mazda's own testing says 6.6 seconds 0-62 mph. Knock a tenth or two off for 60, and the Legacy GT's 5.7 is still looking pretty quick, for you bench racers out there. ih8vtec13, the Legacy GT and STi share some engine components, but it isn't fundamentally the same engine. There's a different ECU, turbo and intercooler, to name a few. It will take more than a simple electronic magic wand to "unlock" the "missing horsepower" from the Legacy GT. Kevin

I think it was discussed that the Mazdaspeed 6 might be AWD, but you have to look at the split to the rear wheels. It will still probably drive like a FWD car on dry pavement until slippage occurs. Most likely it will be AWD, but extremely biased towards the front wheels.

[quote name='SuBart']faster or not I'd still take the LGT anyday over the Mazda6.[/QUOTE] yeah, the only other turbo they made for the US(rx7) had a shit load of problems. id be scared to throw cash into a 1st yr production turbo/awd from mazda. it looks hella sweet tho, and looks like a sleeper too

[quote name='awdG35killer']yeah, the only other turbo they made for the US(rx7) had a shit load of problems. id be scared to throw cash into a 1st yr production turbo/awd from mazda. it looks hella sweet tho, and looks like a sleeper too[/QUOTE] What about the Mazdaspeed Protege and the Mazdaspeed Miata?

[quote name='Th3Franz']I think it was discussed that the Mazdaspeed 6 might be AWD, but you have to look at the split to the rear wheels. It will still probably drive like a FWD car on dry pavement until slippage occurs. Most likely it will be AWD, but extremely biased towards the front wheels.[/QUOTE] Ala Haldex? IBanothervwfanboyargueswithmeabouthowhaldexhastehawesome

Guys please think outside the box. The new Legacy STi will not be only 300/300. ;) So a simple reflashing of the ECU will not yield the same result as what an STi version of the Legacy will be. All you get is similar to the WRX STi power levels. Like GTguy wrote, there's way more to what makes a Subaru STi-certified. Not just the engine. AYC, ACD, DCCD-2 these are some of the stuff from the STi alphabet soup. Geez... i'm revealing more than I should.

[quote name='wunderkind']Guys please think outside the box. The new Legacy STi will not be only 300/300. ;) So a simple reflashing of the ECU will not yield the same result as what an STi version of the Legacy will be. All you get is similar to the WRX STi power levels. Like GTguy wrote, there's way more to what makes a Subaru STi-certified. Not just the engine. AYC, ACD, DCCD-2 these are some of the stuff from the STi alphabet soup. Geez... i'm revealing more than I should.[/QUOTE] That's right, there is the HUGE wing and gold wheels and very stiff suspension :D

Hey Wunderkind, did you forget that the last four letters of your user name ar K-i-n-d? You can love the Leg GT and have an objective view of Twisted's comments. I do not think he said anything that is not true. I really like the design of the Leg GT interior, but the execution leaves someting to be desired in the $30 range. Is the Leg GT a major step up for Subaru, yes, but that does not mean the materials and detail finish has has matched the Acura/Audi/BMW. (Note I have ordered a Leg GT for myself and I have a BMW/Benz/Volvo and Yukon for my wife and sons.) The things I like about the new Leg GT far outweighed the things I thought were shortcomings and far outwieghed the good points of BMW 325ixT or Audi A43.0. That may not be true for twisted. About being a Lady's Car, a few weeks ago I did a couple test laps with a lady race car driver and I am sure she could drive an Acura TSX faster around any track than I could drive a Porsche Turbo on the same track. Only place I think Twisted got it wrong was on the idea of a Sti version for $30-$32k USD. If you want 280-320 HP/ft-lb, maybe H6/MT6, upgraded brakes and tires, upgraded suspension, creature features, outrageous seats and quality finish, $34,900 to $36,500 would be an amazing bargin vs M3, 330ix, Audi43.0+Sport Pack. Is the market ready for a $36k Suby? Would you bet your position on the board of directors to approve that car now? It would be bought by the enthusiast fringe and could help Suby set a new quality/price point in market's brain, but how much loss would you have to write off to promotion/mktg to justify car? Wunderkind is probably right that an Sti Leg will not be another major leap of refinement and be more like H6 lux, but we can hope. Even BMW3 is getting so cushy, I do like the simplicity of Leg GT, but a bit more quality finish would not detract.

[chant] Twin-turbo flat 6... Twin-turbo flat 6... ad infinitum... [/chant] Subaru had a twin turbo H6 in one of their concept cars recently, I forget the name. I'll have to look it up. They have tricks up their sleeve, all automakers do. Just a matter of getting it ready for market...

the Mazdaspeed 6 is not only supposed to be awd, but twinturbo....The legacy GT will not be faster stock vs stock. And 0-60 times differ from every source so don't assume that they are always correct and use that as your argument that the GT is faster.

[quote name='MtnSub']Hey Wunderkind, did you forget that the last four letters of your user name ar K-i-n-d? You can love the Leg GT and have an objective view of Twisted's comments. I do not think he said anything that is not true. I really like the design of the Leg GT interior, but the execution leaves someting to be desired in the $30 range. Is the Leg GT a major step up for Subaru, yes, but that does not mean the materials and detail finish has has matched the Acura/Audi/BMW. (Note I have ordered a Leg GT for myself and I have a BMW/Benz/Volvo and Yukon for my wife and sons.) The things I like about the new Leg GT far outweighed the things I thought were shortcomings and far outwieghed the good points of BMW 325ixT or Audi A43.0. That may not be true for twisted. About being a Lady's Car, a few weeks ago I did a couple test laps with a lady race car driver and I am sure she could drive an Acura TSX faster around any track than I could drive a Porsche Turbo on the same track. Only place I think Twisted got it wrong was on the idea of a Sti version for $30-$32k USD. If you want 280-320 HP/ft-lb, maybe H6/MT6, upgraded brakes and tires, upgraded suspension, creature features, outrageous seats and quality finish, $34,900 to $36,500 would be an amazing bargin vs M3, 330ix, Audi43.0+Sport Pack. Is the market ready for a $36k Suby? Would you bet your position on the board of directors to approve that car now? It would be bought by the enthusiast fringe and could help Suby set a new quality/price point in market's brain, but how much loss would you have to write off to promotion/mktg to justify car? Wunderkind is probably right that an Sti Leg will not be another major leap of refinement and be more like H6 lux, but we can hope. Even BMW3 is getting so cushy, I do like the simplicity of Leg GT, but a bit more quality finish would not detract.[/QUOTE] I agree, the Legacy STi, whenever it comes ('06 or '07 is my prediction) will not be near as affordable as the Legacy GT Limited.

[quote name='KayGT']the Mazdaspeed 6 is not only supposed to be awd, but twinturbo....The legacy GT will not be faster stock vs stock. And 0-60 times differ from every source so don't assume that they are always correct and use that as your argument that the GT is faster.[/QUOTE] But if the manufacturer's claimed 0-60 time is one number, you tend not to get a lot of variance, five tenths at most. And Mazda says 6.6 seconds. Abuse the launch, and you get 6.0. Abuse a Legacy GT, and you get better than its Subaru-specified time of 5.7 seconds. Until the car shows up, who knows, but in the bench-racing world of manufacturer-supplied performance numbers, stock for stock, the Legacy is faster. Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Mazda is tuning out some very sweet rides at the moment and Nissan is not far behind. But they both do not have the history and technological advancement of our AWD system. Our engines granted, need a little more poke but everything else is light years ahead IMHO. Now I can tell you that WHEN the STi is born, the likes of Mitsu, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus and a lot of the boys over in Germany are going to have to lift their game if they want to play on the same field. Granted the STi hasnt been born yet, BUT perfection wasnt made over night. Adam.

Archived