LegacyGT.com

legacy STI?...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='MtnSub']Hey Wunderkind, did you forget that the last four letters of your user name ar K-i-n-d? You can love the Leg GT and have an objective view of Twisted's comments. I do not think he said anything that is not true. I really like the design of the Leg GT interior, but the execution leaves someting to be desired in the $30 range. Is the Leg GT a major step up for Subaru, yes, but that does not mean the materials and detail finish has has matched the Acura/Audi/BMW. (Note I have ordered a Leg GT for myself and I have a BMW/Benz/Volvo and Yukon for my wife and sons.) The things I like about the new Leg GT far outweighed the things I thought were shortcomings and far outwieghed the good points of BMW 325ixT or Audi A43.0. That may not be true for twisted. About being a Lady's Car, a few weeks ago I did a couple test laps with a lady race car driver and I am sure she could drive an Acura TSX faster around any track than I could drive a Porsche Turbo on the same track. Only place I think Twisted got it wrong was on the idea of a Sti version for $30-$32k USD. If you want 280-320 HP/ft-lb, maybe H6/MT6, upgraded brakes and tires, upgraded suspension, creature features, outrageous seats and quality finish, $34,900 to $36,500 would be an amazing bargin vs M3, 330ix, Audi43.0+Sport Pack. Is the market ready for a $36k Suby? Would you bet your position on the board of directors to approve that car now? It would be bought by the enthusiast fringe and could help Suby set a new quality/price point in market's brain, but how much loss would you have to write off to promotion/mktg to justify car? Wunderkind is probably right that an Sti Leg will not be another major leap of refinement and be more like H6 lux, but we can hope. Even BMW3 is getting so cushy, I do like the simplicity of Leg GT, but a bit more quality finish would not detract.[/QUOTE] great insight....yea the STI would cost mid 30's but quite frankly if subaru addressed some of the finish issues with the GT a lot of people wouldnt even want an STI. Fix the armrests, foot and knee area, better lighting outside and inside, xenon (charge us for it), navi and xm, WRC blue exterior paint and the infamous gold rims....i wont even consider the underpowered TSX or the over-priced and bigger TL as contenders for my next car. I already gave the GT 11 on 10 on power AWD and reliability and looks. I just want comparable interior and features that are found on other cars in this price class (at least as options) so i can choose. Some of us are hoping the STI may be the answer to 2 questions. 1. address the GT's shortcomings 2. a new benchmark sport sedan for all other manufacturers to follow in its footsteps -aka - a slap on BMW's face!!! Subaru has all the right ingredients to make this happen....they just need to perfect it. (Presentation/final touches/attention to detail)-

I pretty much agree with most but this point. I don't think the new GT has the same "sex appeal" as the BMW3. The latter looks much nicer especially with the "kidneys" grill. However, it wouldn't take much to improve the look of the GT to match or better the BMW. As for the interior, Subaru would have to offer options, options, and options like BMW to compete. Finally, there's definitely a lack of decent paint colors. All this wouldn't add a huge cost. What would though is matching the fine attention to detail and quality of BMW. Not sure if it's worth it as the current quality of the GT is very good for the price. [quote name='twisted']2. a new benchmark sport sedan for all other manufacturers to follow in its footsteps -aka - a slap on BMW's face!!! Subaru has all the right ingredients to make this happen....they just need to perfect it. (Presentation/final touches/attention to detail)-[/QUOTE]

Yah Subaru has a lot to offere before it can really compete with BMW. I mean with them you can order any color every made if you want it, two tone leathers, options color the choices are almost endless but thats part of the premium you pay when you get a BMW. I think Subaru is moving in the right direction now though one model is not going to suddenly move them to those ranks though. In 10 years they could be though just like Lexus moved into the luxury car lead from nothing in 1989.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

subaru should aim (mimick) for acura level interior finish/style (which in my humble opinion is way better than a bmw or audis) and features. Thats all they need to get it to that "benchmark status". Some more hp wont hurt!! When the 3 series was elevated to the "benchmark" status (early 90s model), it didnt have a ga-zillion options. WRC blue paint is definitely a must. Also i was checking out a Garnett red parked at the dealership the other day and i noticed the door handles didnt match up to the rest of the paint. Any of you Garnett Red owners noticed that? [quote name='fan42025']I pretty much agree with most but this point. I don't think the new GT has the same "sex appeal" as the BMW3. The latter looks much nicer especially with the "kidneys" grill. However, it wouldn't take much to improve the look of the GT to match or better the BMW. As for the interior, Subaru would have to offer options, options, and options like BMW to compete. Finally, there's definitely a lack of decent paint colors. All this wouldn't add a huge cost. What would though is matching the fine attention to detail and quality of BMW. Not sure if it's worth it as the current quality of the GT is very good for the price.[/QUOTE]

I do not think Suby has to match every featue/color BMW has to offer. What "I" think Suby must do is take one more step up on interior quality materials and finish. I love the existing Leg GT design/layout. Yes, there is a short list of must have features that is so easy and low cost to do that Suby must offer, but the big impact will come from quality materials, finish, and SUPER seats that are closer to the M3/VolvoR quality. The current Leg GT seats are very nice and unique, but fall just a bit short on quality materials and finish. I have seen the next gen BMW3series and it is not pretty, especially interior design. BMW/Bangle has even found a way to take the "HOT" out of the kidney grill and make it look Buick. Suby has a very simple driver oriented interior with very nice lines/design. Add the short list of must have features, keep cost down by limiting options, BUT do it first class quality. My personal pet irritation with minor cheap details as follow:, cheap carpet and werid carpet flap on back of passenger seat, no arm rest in Leg GT/Ltd wagon rear seat (My sons Volvo v40 even has a rear armrest and so does OB/H6, Dumb absence on GT/Ltd). I know the fringe/tuner market wants to see an Sti version with H6/320+HP, Brembos, MT6, etc., but I think a more modest step could sell better. Also, at the end of the day, the most enthusiastic, tuner fringe types will create their own perfect car vs buying off-the shelf Leg GT/Sti. I could be off base here because Suby has given signs that the H6 may be Leg GT/Sti platform and others on this site have made a good argument as to why that is required. IF, IF there is a Leg GT/Sti market, it will be more than satisfied with 275-300HP/ft-lbs, PINK Sti springs, modified sway bar ratio, short shifter and a list of interior/exterior cosmetics and feature/quality upgrades. A Leg Sti must offer a slightly edgier look, but not boy racer. More 330ix High Perf than WRX/Sti. A black out grille with little Sti in corner, great tires, two special colors(yes traditional Sti Blue and a more conservative color) and subtle, but top quality exotic feel to interior. This thing can be built from existing parts bin with a good designer in my humble opinion. Suby is probably way ahead of us on this and we will very likely see the car in one of the first Intl auto shows in 2005. If not, we will be doing Sti bla, bla, bla for another year. I will pick up my Leg GT in two weeks. I have new tires/wheels ready to go, short shifter from factory and Xenonk has PINK springs tested and waiting for me. I will be 80% there on my own Leg GT/Sti.

I think we need a little perspective here. The fact that there is even ANY discussion of the LGT in comparison to a BMW or other elite cars (and there are many on this board) says alot. We're talkin big leagues. We're talkin world class. We've come a long waaaaay baby. Subaru is undergoing an image change. Started with the WRX, then the STi and now the LGT. But it will take a long time for the general public to put Subaru and BMW in the same category. Will folks buy a 35-38K Subaru? I don't know. I don't know that I would EVER buy a 35-38K car. I've never considered a BMW, Mercedes, or even, for that matter, an Audi. Some people are going to pay for the badge. I'm not. I'm going to pay for performance but I have my price limits. But I lOVE bang for the buck and that is what Subaru has going for it. So, expect to sacrifice some creature comforts, interior and other refinements, options and choices so Subaru can keep costs down and offer bang for the buck. Thats what they did with the WRX. Thats what they did with the STi. And thats what they did with the LGT. And if they do that with an LGT STi, they'll be people on legacygtsti.com wanting more.....

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Blah, blah, blah, blah. People will want an STi with booster rockets augmenting a 9,000 horsepower quadruple-turbocharged flat 48 boxer motor, with carbon fiber brakes from an F1 car, and they'll still be whining about how the car comes up short. "These pads need more bite, and what's up with the turbo lag? I don't get boost until 200 rpm! Any tuning for it yet?" :lol: Anybody who wants to augment the chances of getting a Legacy STi should buy a GT. Period. The end. Sales numbers show that people want performance Legacies. Not letters, not carping on message boards. Putting dollars where your bandwidth is. And it still might not come, and it won't be cheap. Kevin

Ahh lesson learnt yet lads?? Dont get Kevin Mad !!!!!!!!! The STi will come and like everything it wont be what EVERYONE wants. If we had a car that everyone had input into, the thing would turn out like the Homer Simpson car. The GT as it stands now is a bulletproof, point to point car. The STi will only smooth out the bumps, add a bit more grunt, add a bit more bling and it will surely SING too but it certainly wont be everyones cup of tea. Adam.

[quote name='gtguy'] Anybody who wants to augment the chances of getting a Legacy STi should buy a GT. Period. The end. [/QUOTE] While I agree with your statement to a certain extent, I can also see this as sending the message to Subaru that yes, the GT is what we're looking for in spite of the crappy tires, soft-ish suspension, and all the other crazy nit-picky things (bumpers!?) that have been thrown around the various Subaru boards for over a year. I was one of those waiting for the Leg STi, until the GTP came along last month and got me into the showroom. It was a really tough choice for me between the GT and the STi. Ultimately, I think my purchase of the STi does more for "the cause" than buying a GT because it says: * I'm disappointed in the current Legacy GT offering * I value performance over comfort/style (certainly style with the STi) * I will spend > $30k to have such a vehicle This is not meant to bash the GT in any way, because it is a great car. And the STi is by no means perfect for me, either. However, it comes much closer to that [i]je ne sais quoi [/i] that is sought by most folks who are pining for a Leg STi. I think rewarding Subaru for bringing 3/4 of the car we want with a purchase of a GT can be as much of a deterrant to the Leg STi as it can be a positive force.
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

[quote name='gargleblaster']While I agree with your statement to a certain extent, I can also see this as sending the message to Subaru that yes, the GT is what we're looking for in spite of the crappy tires, soft-ish suspension, and all the other crazy nit-picky things (bumpers!?) that have been thrown around the various Subaru boards for over a year. I was one of those waiting for the Leg STi, until the GTP came along last month and got me into the showroom. It was a really tough choice for me between the GT and the STi. Ultimately, I think my purchase of the STi does more for "the cause" than buying a GT because it says: * I'm disappointed in the current Legacy GT offering * I value performance over comfort/style (certainly style with the STi) * I will spend > $30k to have such a vehicle This is not meant to bash the GT in any way, because it is a great car. And the STi is by no means perfect for me, either. However, it comes much closer to that [i]je ne sais quoi [/i] that is sought by most folks who are pining for a Leg STi. I think rewarding Subaru for bringing 3/4 of the car we want with a purchase of a GT can be as much of a deterrant to the Leg STi as it can be a positive force.[/QUOTE] The WRX sales numbers, assisted by the arrival of the Evo, were what made the WRX STi possible. If the WRX had tanked because people were waiting for, as many posted, "the real deal," the STi wouldn't have come. Period. Anything else is simple, and ineffective justification. Many hide behind "crappy tires" and a "soft-ish suspension," not realizing that the market in which the hypothetical Legacy STi will play isn't going to support a JDM-hard suspension, and tires that wear out in less than 20k miles. It just isn't going to happen, because the USDM isn't the kind of market for Subaru that will support that kind of vehicle. And by "GTP," please, please tell me that you don't mean the Pontiac GTP. If you do, that's fine, but it isn't a car I would consider competition for the Legacy GT, though I'm sure that people will compare it, just as they compare Subarus to everything else. The Legacy is Subaru's volume seller. It isn't something they can afford to fiddle around with. If the perceived marketplace support for the car isn't there, any higher-performance versions it won't be made or brought here, plain and simple. Why should they? It's fine to speculate about a Legacy STi, but look at in in real-world terms. If people don't by the GT, why ever would Subaru think that they would support a more expensive, even if it is higher-performance, version of a Legacy? By sitting on the sidelines, signing petitions or whatever, people do nothing to enhance the possibility of a Legacy STi a) being made, and b) being brought to these shores. People can vote with their pocketbooks. If the GT doesn't cut it for you, don't buy it. But not buying is sending a message, but not the message that people think. It isn't saying "We want more car," but rather "We don't want this car." People who post on message boards are never satisfied. That's neither good or bad, it's the nature of the beast. You say that we shouldn't reward Subaru for bringing 3/4 of the car that "we" want. Subaru says that with a Legacy GT that stock for stock outhandles a WRX, is every bit as fast in addition to being nicer and more luxurious, a car that is a quantum leap over the outgoing Legacy GT, they have improved the Legacy by an order of magnitude. Comparing the existing GT to a nonexistent vehicle is pointless. It's like people not buying the WRX because they don't put the 2.5-liter turbo motor in that car. Well, good on yer, because that just isn't going to happen, any more than lackluster sales of the vastly-improved GT would impel Subaru to say "Hey, they didn't want THAT one, but maybe they'll want THIS one, for even more money." I think not. Kevin

This is why we have the option of improving an already great car. The great thing is we can draw from the best parts around the world. The only drawback is it costs more to do it this way but you end up with a car designed to exactly your tastes . I would be nice is the had an H6 3+ liter twin turbo to start with .

[quote name='gtguy']The WRX sales numbers, assisted by the arrival of the Evo, were what made the WRX STi possible. If the WRX had tanked because people were waiting for, as many posted, "the real deal," the STi wouldn't have come. Period. Anything else is simple, and ineffective justification. Many hide behind "crappy tires" and a "soft-ish suspension," not realizing that the market in which the hypothetical Legacy STi will play isn't going to support a JDM-hard suspension, and tires that wear out in less than 20k miles. It just isn't going to happen, because the USDM isn't the kind of market for Subaru that will support that kind of vehicle.[/QUOTE] Agreed that strong sales of the WRX gave SoA the confidence to bring the STi here. Note that while the STi's suspension is not the same as the JDM offering, it is quite firm. Also note that the car does not come with 300 treadwear rated tires. Granted the target demographic for the Leg STi is different than that of the WRX STi, but clearly Subaru is not afraid of bringing a pure performance vehicle to the market. [quote name='gtguy']And by "GTP," please, please tell me that you don't mean the Pontiac GTP. If you do, that's fine, but it isn't a car I would consider competition for the Legacy GT, though I'm sure that people will compare it, just as they compare Subarus to everything else.[/QUOTE] Sorry about that. GTP = Subaru's Guaranteed Trade Program for '02-'03 WRX owners. I think currently the only Pontiac that might compare to a Subaru would be the Solstice and the B9 concept. Some folks might think the B11S concept was as ugly as the Aztek. ;) [quote name='gtguy']It's fine to speculate about a Legacy STi, but look at in in real-world terms. If people don't by the GT, why ever would Subaru think that they would support a more expensive, even if it is higher-performance, version of a Legacy?[/quote] And my point is if everyone that is lusting for a Legacy STi goes out instead and buys a GT, maybe Subaru just sits back and is happy with their profits from the GT. Of course, they're perfectly entitled to do so, but in the end the folks that bought the GT on the premise that a STi would soon follow would be left wanting. [quote name='gtguy']By sitting on the sidelines, signing petitions or whatever, people do nothing to enhance the possibility of a Legacy STi a) being made, and b) being brought to these shores. People can vote with their pocketbooks. If the GT doesn't cut it for you, don't buy it. But not buying is sending a message, but not the message that people think. It isn't saying "We want more car," but rather "We don't want this car."[/quote] Well, I don't want the GT, so I didn't buy one. But I think I sent a message all the same by signing petitions, sending in emails and a letter, and then voting with my pocketbook by dropping $30k on Subaru's current halo performance car. And I fully intend to send another letter to SoA explaining all this. [quote name='gtguy']Comparing the existing GT to a nonexistent vehicle is pointless. It's like people not buying the WRX because they don't put the 2.5-liter turbo motor in that car. Well, good on yer, because that just isn't going to happen, any more than lackluster sales of the vastly-improved GT would impel Subaru to say "Hey, they didn't want THAT one, but maybe they'll want THIS one, for even more money."[/quote] While the Legacy STi is indeed nonexistent, the parts to create one are sitting on Subaru's shelf, or have been hinted at in recent concept cars, such as the B11S twin-turbo flat 6. I don't think any of us are asking for magnetic ride control, anti-lag system, or head-up display here. Many of the parts are available for the JDM cars right now, such as the Bilstein suspension, HID, etc. But I think we should remember that the new Legacy is Subaru's attemtpt to enter the "upscale" market. At the ride and drive events this summer, the GT was compared to the BMW 325 and the Volvo whatever-it-was, which are not the ultra-performance variants of those marques. So, I'll give you that sufficient sales of the GT will encourage Subaru to make the STi. I just don't think it's realistic for anyone to expect enthusiasts who want more than what the GT offers to go buy the car, and then hope that theirs was the one sale that makes the Legacy STi a reality.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I don't see Subaru taking your "buy the STi in spite of the crappy Legacy GT offering" working the way you think it is. You'd be better off getting a GT and "making a stand" with that purchase, then buying an STi and bolstering Impreza sales.[/QUOTE] The only thing I called crappy about the GT is the tires. If you go back and read my post again, you'll see this: [quote name='gargleblaster'] This is not meant to bash the GT in any way, because it is a great car.[/quote] I think I'm better off buying the car that I really want based on what Subaru currently offers. Say I did it your way and bought the GT, and then Subaru brings a Legacy STi for '06. I would either a) take a huge depreciation hit on the GT to trade for the STi; or b) wait until my GT is paid off and then purchase. In my case, option a isn't going to happen, so there I would be with my GT and all kinds of remorse for not waiting another 12 months to get what I really wanted. No thanks.

[quote name='gargleblaster']I just don't think it's realistic for anyone to expect enthusiasts who want more than what the GT offers to go buy the car, and then hope that theirs was the one sale that makes the Legacy STi a reality.[/QUOTE] I'd forgotten about the Subaru GTP program. You scared me for a second there. :lol: I think your point is a good one about people who want more from the GT to go and buy the car. But I also think that anybody who doesn't have anything invested in the car becomes a Greek chorus of sorts, and one of dubious effectiveness, to boot. Of course people shouldn't buy a car that they aren't satisfied with. But the question is what will people BE satisfied with? Recall that people spent years scoffing at the "GT" moniker on the former Legacy GT. "We want a turbo!" Then it comes, a night and day improvement on the former GT, that is one of the fastest cars on most roads it's on, has all weather capabilities, and exceptional handling, not to mention style and comfort. And people carp about bumpers, twin-scrolls, JDM horsepower and option lists, etc., instead of realizing what a brilliant car the GT is. I'd love to see a Legacy STi wagon. But I'm not going to be sitting on the sidelines, waiting for it to happen. I'll have a few years to enjoy my Leggy GT, then see what happens. And we'll see... Kevin

Listen here Gargleblaster, you little punk. Correct that last word "punk" to consumer activist. I do not agree with your concept about how SOA will be influenced to make a go/no go decision for an Sti, but I do think the energy you put into emails and letter writing does add to critical mass and is helpful to the Sti cause. IMO, if Legacy sales (all models) are so so or only 5%-10% better than past Legacy sales in NorAm, there will not be much energy/investment motive for a Leg Sti. I assume that OB sales are going great and the new OB plus the massive advert campaign should not only hold existing OB market base, but add new market share. Great OB sales numbers will not support a Leg Sti without great Legacy numbers. Before SOA will consider your emails/letters, they must meet their target increase in Leg sales (IMO). I am a past VP sales&mktg for a global subsidiary of Kawasaki Heavy Industries and these guys work to a plan with extensive alternative plans in place for glory or the trash bin. Even with strong Leg sales performance, I doubt that a Leg Sti would be more than a blip, round off number for unit sales. A Leg GT/Sti would be a marketing/image mule, not a bill payer. Will Suby give us a modestly improved Leg GT as a Sti or a H6/MT6 $36,900 uber machine for a Sti? If I am correct that the a Sti is more of a cost center than profit center offering, it all depends on what Suby wants a Leg/Sti mule to do for its marketing image and price point evolution. Practical stuff like being maxed out on production capacity for the 2.5 H4Trubo and being below optimal production run levels for the H6 could influence Leg Sti engine choices. I bet they have a plan and a back-up plan for an Sti that may or may not ever be activated. The international auto shows early next year should give us a strong Leg Sti clue. If not, you will be waiting for MY07 or buying a front wheel drive Honda, or VolvoR with at 43 ft turning radius or an Audi for $36k that spends most time in shop or a BMW 330iX(no wagon) for $41+K. I chose not to wait. My LegGT arrives in 7-10 days with Sti short shifter and my great wheels/tires are sitting in my office. I will have PINK springs installed by Christmas and I will be enjoying a near Sti experience for months before the people have a clue if an Sti is on the horizon.

**** News Flash **** The only way an Japan and American backed STi GT will enter the land of the free is if sales are boosted by (as MtnSub suggests) 5 - 10 % at minimum. The current Liberty here in Australia is selling like hot cakes. The STi WRX is sellling very well so we certainly have the market to embrace the STi should it arrive here. Besides, STi now needs something stronger to compete and blow away the AWD Turbo market in this country and the STi would slot nicely. Adam.

[quote name='MtnSub']Listen here Gargleblaster, you little punk. Correct that last word "punk" to consumer activist. I do not agree with your concept about how SOA will be influenced to make a go/no go decision for an Sti, but I do think the energy you put into emails and letter writing does add to critical mass and is helpful to the Sti cause. IMO, if Legacy sales (all models) are so so or only 5%-10% better than past Legacy sales in NorAm, there will not be much energy/investment motive for a Leg Sti. I assume that OB sales are going great and the new OB plus the massive advert campaign should not only hold existing OB market base, but add new market share. Great OB sales numbers will not support a Leg Sti without great Legacy numbers. Before SOA will consider your emails/letters, they must meet their target increase in Leg sales (IMO). I am a past VP sales&mktg for a global subsidiary of Kawasaki Heavy Industries and these guys work to a plan with extensive alternative plans in place for glory or the trash bin. Even with strong Leg sales performance, I doubt that a Leg Sti would be more than a blip, round off number for unit sales. A Leg GT/Sti would be a marketing/image mule, not a bill payer. Will Suby give us a modestly improved Leg GT as a Sti or a H6/MT6 $36,900 uber machine for a Sti? If I am correct that the a Sti is more of a cost center than profit center offering, it all depends on what Suby wants a Leg/Sti mule to do for its marketing image and price point evolution. Practical stuff like being maxed out on production capacity for the 2.5 H4Trubo and being below optimal production run levels for the H6 could influence Leg Sti engine choices. I bet they have a plan and a back-up plan for an Sti that may or may not ever be activated. The international auto shows early next year should give us a strong Leg Sti clue. If not, you will be waiting for MY07 or buying a front wheel drive Honda, or VolvoR with at 43 ft turning radius or an Audi for $36k that spends most time in shop or a BMW 330iX(no wagon) for $41+K. I chose not to wait. My LegGT arrives in 7-10 days with Sti short shifter and my great wheels/tires are sitting in my office. I will have PINK springs installed by Christmas and I will be enjoying a near Sti experience for months before the people have a clue if an Sti is on the horizon.[/QUOTE] ^ pwned

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Archived