LegacyGT.com

legacy or m3?

tahoe

A.) I would say that it would depend if you were in low end or top end (low rpm, end, the Legacy GT would dominate, on the high rpm end, the 330i might be a little faster). But honestly, there is no autobahn here, so thats pointless.

B.) No way, RWD? Are you serious? AWD murders RWD around turns. (Drift or no drift), you have more traction to the ground with four wheels spinning - assuming your foot stays on the gas pedal

C.) BMW = no reliability especially when compared to a Subaru

A new Subaru Legacy GT takes the cake hands down = Better bang for your buck. I have owned a 3 series, granted it was an e36. I would never go back to owning a BMW.

A). 330 doesnt have turbo lag

B). Yes, I'm serious. AWD gives more total traction but at a sacrifice of feel and weight. The 330 is 50/50 f/r which is optimal for front-engine RWD.

C.) BMW resale still dominates. They are extremely reliable. The only reason they drop in the reliability rankings is because they have an insane amount of electronics and electronics can occassionally fail.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A). 330 doesnt have turbo lag

B). Yes, I'm serious. AWD gives more total traction but at a sacrifice of feel and weight. The 330 is 50/50 f/r which is optimal for front-engine RWD.

C.) BMW resale still dominates. They are extremely reliable. The only reason they drop in the reliability rankings is because they have an insane amount of electronics and electronics can occassionally fail.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. Having owned a bimmer and a legacy, I am just not a bimmer fan anymore. Your points are valid, as I believe mine are as well, but I think it just user preference.

I have owned both as well and am just playing devils advocate. Your points are definitely valid...otherwise I wouldn't own an LGT. I'd trade my LGT wagon for a 335 wagon...but thats about it. Theyre small and overpriced for what you get....not to mention theyre more common than Hondas around here.

my brother has E46 M3 with SMG.

I've driven it number of times.

M3 is great car but its charateristic is different than LGT

However I like driving LGT more than M3

LGT is comfier and doesn't get stuck in snow or anything.

oh and did i say my LGT is faster than m3 with an intake?

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

330ci? Really?

Sure, if you want:

A.) Less Horsepower than a LGT

B.) Rear wheel drive and doesn't handle like AWD

C.) More money out of pocket (that could have been spent on modifications)

D) More weight

E) More expensive upgrades

F) More expensive service (assuming you buy for the long term)

I test-drove both (the xi version actually, so (B) doesn't quite hold true) and while I could afford the BMW, I didn't see the point of spending thousands more to get a less enjoyable car. I went in with the assumption that I'd get a 330 because I liked my 325 so much, and only tested the LGT on principle, but the test drives changed my mind. The 330 is slightly quicker than my old 325, but the LGT is substantially quicker, and more comfortable to drive. The BMW looks much better from the outside, I have to admit, but that wasn't enough.

No regrets!

my brother has E46 M3 with SMG.

I've driven it number of times.

M3 is great car but its charateristic is different than LGT

However I like driving LGT more than M3

LGT is comfier and doesn't get stuck in snow or anything.

oh and did i say my LGT is faster than m3 with an intake?

You run low 13s with just an intake? :confused:

Pretty sure that's a no.

lol

Again you are comparing two opposite types of cars.

I also don't buy into the .......if you buy the cheaper one and throw money at it until its as good as the more expensive car stock mindset. You mod a car to make up for its short comings pure and simple. So taking that LGT and pumping money in it to make it as fast and handle as good as a stock M3 isn't a real good argument. It seems like he is just fishing for everyone to give him the pat on the back to get the M3. If that's what you want......get it.

BMW's resale isn't that great considering you could buy a 2-3 year old 745 for under $40k now. 330xi a year or two old are low $30k when new they were over $40k. Personally I would try to find a M coupe or roadster since it has the M3 motor in it, but that's just me. Then again I would never own a BMW out of warranty. All the crying about VW/Audi reliability.....BWM is 20X worse.

I also don't buy into the .......if you buy the cheaper one and throw money at it until its as good as the more expensive car stock mindset. You mod a car to make up for its short comings pure and simple. So taking that LGT and pumping money in it to make it as fast and handle as good as a stock M3 isn't a real good argument. It seems like he is just fishing for everyone to give him the pat on the back to get the M3. If that's what you want......get it.

BMW's resale isn't that great considering you could buy a 2-3 year old 745 for under $40k now. 330xi a year or two old are low $30k when new they were over $40k. Personally I would try to find a M coupe or roadster since it has the M3 motor in it, but that's just me. Then again I would never own a BMW out of warranty. All the crying about VW/Audi reliability.....BWM is 20X worse.

///M cars hold their value much better than other bmws. Certainly better than a LGT.

lol

I work at another brand dealer. One of the parts guys parents picked up a M roadster 3 years old with about 24k on it for $22k. Doesn't sound like that great of holding their value. M cars do hold their value better, but again I wouldn't own one out of warranty, let alone one with SMG out of warranty. If you want to talk about value holding.......95-98 Porsche 911's are still mid to high $30k's. New they were mid $40k's and up depending on model.

I work at another brand dealer. One of the parts guys parents picked up a M roadster 3 years old with about 24k on it for $22k. Doesn't sound like that great of holding their value. M cars do hold their value better, but again I wouldn't own one out of warranty, let alone one with SMG out of warranty. If you want to talk about value holding.......95-98 Porsche 911's are still mid to high $30k's. New they were mid $40k's and up depending on model.

The '02 M roadsters dropped price drastically after the new (06') M roadsters came out with the 333hp M3 engine in them. Most are still mid 30s... your friend shopped well or got a POS.

lol

You don't have to THROW that much at an LGT to make it shiny.... actually more like a light TOSS. I have spent $7000 on mine and IT IS as nice to drive as my friends M3 and I have 47000 cdn in it he paid 82000 with SMG, no cracks about the dollar and price of cars up here necessary, I'm just saying to me it made sense to go this route, saved big money and less than 1/2 the insurance cost each year, IMO :icon_wink

You don't have to THROW that much at an LGT to make it shiny.... actually more like a light TOSS. I have spent $7000 on mine and IT IS as nice to drive as my friends M3 and I have 47000 cdn in it he paid 82000 with SMG, no cracks about the dollar and price of cars up here necessary, I'm just saying to me it made sense to go this route, saved big money and less than 1/2 the insurance cost each year, IMO :icon_wink

$7000 isn't that much? He was talkng about buy two cars for the same purchase price. Not new to used. Also the two are completely different types of cars. The LGT is a turbo awd sedan were the M3 is a rwd N/A sports coupe. If he was to buy the M3, he wouldn't need to mod it for awhile to make it better. The LGT to get it to the performance of the M3 as you said would cost an additional $7000 or so. I've said it multiple times though that I would get the LGT cause it is a lot more sensable and usable then the M3 in everyday life.

Wait... 911's new are ~45k? Try $80k for the coupes and $90k for the convertibles! Thats with a very light load of the ridiculously expensive typical porshe options.

Yeah, just could not let that glaring inconsistency go unnoticed.

Wait... 911's new are ~45k? Try $80k for the coupes and $90k for the convertibles! Thats with a very light load of the ridiculously expensive typical porshe options.

Yeah, just could not let that glaring inconsistency go unnoticed.

I think he meant that was their purchase price new, ten years ago - not today.

Archived