LegacyGT.com

legacy or m3?

tahoe

Ah yes, you're right, I just checked the Audi website. I didn't read carefully.

In any event, I've pretty much decided on the Legacy. I'm just trying to figure out now if navigation is available with the GT Limited Wagon. A salesman told it was available, but the website does not agree. Worst comes to worst, I'll buy a portable unit that fits in that compartment, but I've rather have something with the warrantee.

Unless something major has changed (and I highly doubt it has) the A3 2.0T does not have quattro. THey offer the S-line package on the 2.0T, but it is still fwd. The only only way to get quattro with a 2.0T, is an S3 which isn't going to be available in the US. I am about 99.9% positive about this. To confirm what I am saying I'll talk to a few salesmen at work, and the Audi instructor ( I am currently in training). Again I am almost positive you can't get it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for nothing,but I actually came out of a 2002 M3 and got into a Subie LGT for reasons of insanity ( actually, I put too many miles on the car and required some additional space ( LGT Wagon )..

With the exception of the all wheel drive and the space of the wagon, the M3 is an amazing ride that is not even in the same league as the LGT. I drove the M3 for 3 years and never had a problem. The car performs calmly under 4000 RPMs which makes daily driving fairly smooth and quiet. But if you take that bad boy up over 5000 to it's redline @ 8000, it is a screaming monster.

The handling is second to none. Brakes are amazing.. Now that doesnt mean you cant modify the Subie to get there, but it takes work, research and cash..

Comparing stock to stock.. There is no comparison..

Just my $.02.. And missing my M3 every day..

-Fiche

Im just turned off by the E46 M3 on sheer virtue that everyone stupid kid, mother and girlfriend can be seen tooling around in one, hardtop or convertible flavor. I dont care how nice the car is to drive anymore, the sheer loss of exclusivity and cool is ruined. For that same reason i'd love to own and drive a E30 M3

Ed

^ I was slowed up in the outbound express lanes on the Kennedy for too many seconds by a dowdy matron in an M3 tonight who was chatting away with her old biddy friend on my charge to get home so I could hurry up and relax tonight. Doing 50 mph?????????????? There is no god.

^ I was slowed up in the outbound express lanes on the Kennedy for too many seconds by a dowdy matron in an M3 tonight who was chatting away with her old biddy friend on my charge to get home so I could hurry up and relax tonight. Doing 50 mph?????????????? There is no god.

Most like it was the crappy SMG version too, but i see stuff like that all the time, what a joke.

Ed

I feel something similar in that I view the latest M3s are too gaudy and not distinctive enough. I personally would've loved to have owned an E36 4-door M3.

Im just turned off by the E46 M3 on sheer virtue that everyone stupid kid, mother and girlfriend can be seen tooling around in one, hardtop or convertible flavor. I dont care how nice the car is to drive anymore, the sheer loss of exclusivity and cool is ruined. For that same reason i'd love to own and drive a E30 M3

Ed

Being 12" shorter than you, I don't have quite the same worries. The A3 is probably perfect in terms of size for my tastes. Its short enough to fit in tight parking spots, yet large enough in interior volume to stuff my Gary Fisher in. In the end, the $36+ price tag for the 3.2Quattro version is just too much.

The last time I drove an Audi A3 it felt too small to be comfortable for me (6'3", 220), meaning the interior room for the driver. The A4 felt right. And my 2005 LGT Wagon feels right. Of course that's a very personal thing...

I agree, I think the A3 2.0T would have been the choice if it had quattro. I'd want to get the tune for it, but I don't know if I want to be limited there since it's FWD, having to worry about torque steer and stuff like that. I like the interior also. I'm 6', it's a good size for me, and I'm driving in cities a lot so I don't want anything too big. So yeah, it's just the non-availability of quattro for the 2.0 and being overpriced.

There is no way he is getting an E46 M3 for $23k unless it is a salvage. No friggin way.

Agreed. Get t he Subaru. If the M3 really is what you say it is, there could be some big problems with it. I would think the car should be at least $30k with 40k miles based on the market.

If you dont have a comfortable margin of living and putting down 23k on a car is going to be a big investment then you should probably get the LGT for increased reliability/ lower maintenance costs. I made the same analysis when picking cars and realized I could afford the inital cost but knew down the road in at about 75k miles everything would go to hell.

+1 A SEVEN year old car!!!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived