LegacyGT.com

legacy or m3?

tahoe

My friend Josh has a 2006 M3. It is a nice car.

For the amount of money he spent on it you can make a LGT a faster flashier car and still have cash in yoru pocket. As far as accelaration goes our modded LGT out accelerates his M3 up to about 60. Over 90 MPH we are screwed though. The LGT is not made to move at those speeds.

Drivign back on the Autobahn from Kaiserlautern to Mannheim at 2 AM I was able to cruise along at 140 MPH in the M3. The ride was smooth and comnfortable. It would not have been that nice a ride at those speeds in the LGT.

EXACTLY why I bought the LGT....... I also have Megan coilovers.... stage II i am just as fast as my buddies M3 and now it handles and rides better (also progress sways on it)..... SLEEPER??? Not now with chromes and lip spoiler also RBS grill it looks nastier than the M3. Best value for the $ by far.......:woowoo:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I would choose the Legacy, because in the long run you'll save money. And Im a student and Im poor. I also have an issue with cars that get less than 20mpg in the city. It just bugs me, but then Im a little bit of an environmentalist.

For the amount of money you spent on the LGT, I could make a Ford Festiva be faster and flashier and still have cash in my pocket.QUOTE]

I think it was call a Shogun. Someone took a 1st gen U.S. market Festiva, put in a Ford SHO V6 behind the Festiva front seats (a la Renault R5 LeCar into a R5 Turbo II) and called it a day. I don't think many were made, though.

For the amount of money you spent on the LGT, I could make a Ford Festiva be faster and flashier and still have cash in my pocket.QUOTE]

I think it was call a Shogun. Someone took a 1st gen U.S. market Festiva, put in a Ford SHO V6 behind the Festiva front seats (a la Renault R5 LeCar into a R5 Turbo II) and called it a day. I don't think many were made, though.

I don't think that quite qualifies as a reasonable upgrade as opposed to purchasing an M3 though. :lol:

Pshaw! Reasonable, schmeasonable. We're comparing an M3 to an LGT. Where's the reason? You might get #'s with a modified LGT that are close or beat a M3, but the LGT would never be the equal of the M3 dynamically. You'd have to toss out the entire LGT suspension and start with a clean design to match the M3 on handling "feel." If we're just gonna be silly, let's be silly!

Pshaw! Reasonable, schmeasonable. We're comparing an M3 to an LGT. Where's the reason? You might get #'s with a modified LGT that are close or beat a M3, but the LGT would never be the equal of the M3 dynamically. You'd have to toss out the entire LGT suspension and start with a clean design to match the M3 on handling "feel." If we're just gonna be silly, let's be silly!

We did replace our entire suspension...give me another one.

You want silly?? My buddies M3 has been to the shop 18 times in 26 months, I kid you not, piece of tutonic crap.... :icon_bigg

EXACTLY why I bought the LGT....... I also have Megan coilovers.... stage II i am just as fast as my buddies M3 and now it handles and rides better (also progress sways on it)..... SLEEPER??? Not now with chromes and lip spoiler also RBS grill it looks nastier than the M3. Best value for the $ by far.......:woowoo:

Handling comparison aside, you gotta admit resale on an M3 vs resale on a modded LGT = huge diff.

You want silly?? My buddies M3 has been to the shop 18 times in 26 months, I kid you not, piece of tutonic crap.... :icon_bigg

Holy Teutonic Crap, Batman! I remember when Beemers were made well, but they were light, then, too. Musta been a long time ago. :(

What year is your buddy's M3?

Holy Teutonic Crap, Batman! I remember when Beemers were made well, but they were light, then, too. Musta been a long time ago. :(

What year is your buddy's M3?

Maybe an isolated case with his car I don't know, it is a 2004 with the SMG box, every once in a while it won't start and they have no clue?, also the ball joints front went at 20,000 km's, exhaust header crack, shocks pooched at 25,000 kms and the timing chain at 25,000 kms, these were some of the major items, gorgeous car though, black with cognac interior.

thanks guys, all of your arguements are why im kinda mulling it over in my head. keep in mind im not buying for about a year or so and by then i will be married (in may). i live in the the st. louis metro area and we see maybe one snow a winter but i will have a fwd beater no matter what car i get. i really like the legacy, although i havent driven one but have driven a 06 auto wrx, and i already have my mods planned out for it. but just the idea that a m3 is possible is so tempting, id probably end up getting a legacy for the practicality awd and reliability. i may end up being another iwannasportsedan lol.

Maybe an isolated case with his car I don't know, it is a 2004 with the SMG box, every once in a while it won't start and they have no clue?, also the ball joints front went at 20,000 km's, exhaust header crack, shocks pooched at 25,000 kms and the timing chain at 25,000 kms, these were some of the major items, gorgeous car though, black with cognac interior.

:eek: Can you imagine going out to your car parked in the O'Hare lot or somewhere in the Loop and not being able to start it for no discernable reason? What an effing drag to have that thought going through your head before every start.

When DDing my car purchase, only Jap cars were left on the list once the reliability issue was factored in.

:eek: Can you imagine going out to your car parked in the O'Hare lot or somewhere in the Loop and not being able to start it for no discernable reason? What an effing drag to have that thought going through your head before every start.

When DDing my car purchase, only Jap cars were left on the list once the reliability issue was factored in.

I had a Volvo 850 Turbo first year out, in the shop more than I had it, it was so bad VOLVO did REPLACE the car after 3 years into a 4 year lease !!! Although I was put out....and out...and out I was impressed they swapped cars for new. I had new engine, new tranny and at least 20-25 other issues. Wow first year out for that model and a leson learned (wait a year)

I had new engine, new tranny and at least 20-25 other issues. Wow first year out for that model and a leson learned (wait a year)

That's one of the reasons I went for an 06 though there haven't been too many serious problems with the 05 except for the "studder" (also happens with 06 & 07s) which I don't seem to have.

Don't get me wrong , the car is a rocket now, and I love the TDC stage II map, just adding the TMIC and their map AFTER Cobb stage II with catless UP & DP was really huge differance,especially top end...damn it goes good :icon_wink

23k for an '02 m3?

Repo?

Maybe 33k

Exactly. You aren't getting an E46 M3 for less than 30k unless something is seriously wrong with it. Go with the LGT for cheaper, you will be happy either way... might as well be happy with cash in your pocket ;)

lol

thanks guys, all of your arguements are why im kinda mulling it over in my head. keep in mind im not buying for about a year or so and by then i will be married (in may). i live in the the st. louis metro area and we see maybe one snow a winter but i will have a fwd beater no matter what car i get. i really like the legacy, although i havent driven one but have driven a 06 auto wrx, and i already have my mods planned out for it. but just the idea that a m3 is possible is so tempting, id probably end up getting a legacy for the practicality awd and reliability. i may end up being another iwannasportsedan lol.

Married in May? DO NOT GET A COUPE. Get a wagon. 1. it carries lots of stuff, and backseat passengers, too; 2. you can't afford tickets if you're getting hitched; 3. you'll be the coolest dad in Kindergarten if you can enter the parking lot in a 4 wheel controlled drift (j/k). Kids don't learn to hate wagons until they are teenagers.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

My friend Josh has a 2006 M3. It is a nice car.

For the amount of money he spent on it you can make a LGT a faster flashier car and still have cash in yoru pocket. As far as accelaration goes our modded LGT out accelerates his M3 up to about 60. Over 90 MPH we are screwed though. The LGT is not made to move at those speeds.

Drivign back on the Autobahn from Kaiserlautern to Mannheim at 2 AM I was able to cruise along at 140 MPH in the M3. The ride was smooth and comnfortable. It would not have been that nice a ride at those speeds in the LGT.

140 mph? damn

I was travelling back from New York to Virginia last week in my 06 LGT averaging 90-110 mph and I thought I was moving.....lol....guess not

140 mph? damn

I was travelling back from New York to Virginia last week in my 06 LGT averaging 90-110 mph and I thought I was moving.....lol....guess not

What BMW needs is an M Series for the AWD 3 series....i am guessing it wouldn't be cost efficient for them....

Archived