LegacyGT.com

legacy or m3?

tahoe

Been lurking around here for a while on and off. Not to highjack the thread, but I will be looking for a car this summer also; 01-03 M3, 05-06 LGT 5MT, 04-05 Acura TL. Obviously, there are pros / cons to each car.

Looking forward to test driving a LGT in the near future to help my decision.

Have a close buddy who recently bought a 02 M3 6MT, I have driving it a few times and I will say this about it.

• Handles, brakes and accelerates, you feel connected to the road.
  • Doesn't need mods.
  • If you do mod, they are VERY pricey, and you don't get much hp gain in return for your investment.
  • 01-02 MY had an recall for major engine issue, better be sure it was done before purchasing one.
  • Inspection 1 & 2 should be done around 30k and 60k miles, respectively. The major part of the inspection is valve inspection/adjustment. Cost between $1000-$1500 at the dealer.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been beaten to death but I keep seeing this thread pop up to the top and it keeps irking me.

M3 or Legacy? Are you insane? That's like, "Should I get a F-150 or a Legacy?" or "Should I get a m3 or a tow truck?" They are completely different vehicles built for completely different purposes. I've driven both and I would never want to drive the m3 in anything but perfect weather and on roads with no traffic (or auto-xing). It's not a daily driver. There's no comparison, they both have 4 wheels and that's it. OP, what are you THINKING?

SMG is a true manual - with software clutch engagment. There are several modes for shifting (Software 1-6) with the fastest shift ~90ms. Virtually impossible to outshift with a standard 6spd.

Be forwarned - very expensive to maintain. I've got to tell you - my M3 was very unreliable. It only had 22K miles on it and spend 17 days in the shop for almost 5K worth of work. I was covered by CPO for a good 4.5K and I would NEVER own it out of CPO. In my opinion there are serious quality issues with the E46 M3, mostly around the ECU and related components and the god forsaken software throttle. Everytime you throw an ECU code the throttle defaults to 20% power by design. It almost killed me on the highway twice.

Anyway - caveat emptor. I wouldnt do it again.

Here is an honest opinion from someone who owns a 2007 spec B and works on BMW’s for a living.

The E46 M3 is not a year round daily driver. Sure there are lots of people that do drive them all year and through the snow, but they are not fun car to drive unless you are trying to drive them hard and are not easy to drive smoothly even with the 6 speed. The SMG option is great on the track but down right annoying on the street. Very jerky and again, hard to drive smoothly even with the clutch engagement set to its lowest setting.

As far as being a unreliable car, for what kind of car it is I don’t think it’s that bad. People don’t understand that when you have more technology packed into a car there is more potential for things to go wrong. Should you expect things to go wrong more often? No, but due to how complex the vehicle is don’t expect the car to never have any electrical issues during your ownership.

As for CPO / Warranty for a newer BMW… Yes, you should never own one without it. If you buy a expensive thoroughbred luxury brand car you should expect that it will have a premium cost to keep that car up on maintenance. The S54B32 engine in the E46 M3 is great. However, it has special maintenance requirements such as valve shim adjustments and special 10w60 synthetic oil changes. As far as the engine issue, the warrant for the power train was increased to protect the owner, and the main bearings on all the effected cars have been replaced. If someone were to buy an M3 that didn’t have the recall done, which would be very rare, and then engine developed an issue, that issue would be addressed with no hassle. BMW is very good about honoring warranty issues.

Now as far as the Legacy VS M3 debate goes… stock for stock the M3 is much more fun to drive aggressively. So far my legacy has been a great year round car but is a bit underpowered without mods. I’ve owned a 2002 WRX and worked at a Subaru performance shop for a while before switching to BMW’s so I know what it takes to make a Subaru fast.

What it all really comes down to is this:

M3- great toy car to have, fantastic looks, great handling / braking… status symbol

Legacy GT- great year round car, relatively cheap performance mods, fun to tinker with, easy to drive.

^ Ya gotta pay to play which is why the LGT is such good bang for your buck.

What the LGT loses on the track it more than makes up for in all weather, all condition motoring.

I only want to spend monetary resources on one car and not many models bring as much to the table and do them all well like the LGT Spec.B.

okay guys....everyone has said some very meaningful things..... I dont think I've read everything...so if I repeat anything..please dont criticize....

things to know....

Legacy - easy to mod(cheap) fast.....can make faster than m3, better all year round. more reliable than bmw. wont brake on you in random spots. and also because I love my legacy ( 06 gt) i would take my legacy over an m3 any day.

M3 - easy to mod(u'll spend more than what the car was originally bought for)

its easy to mod...although on my friends m3 if you put low using power lights(like for signal and such...the car will think theres something wrong.....bmw will never make an m3 that could go thorugh snow like ALLLL the legacies can. and..only rwd.......

i mean I odnt want to pressure you into anything....i mean what ever u feel like buying...

dude what im saying...is that...if you got the money...and you wanna spend it on a beemer...by all means...

but me....i think my 06 legacy is the sexiest thing out there......my friend just got a 07 328 xi (bmw)..and i've gotten some what better compliments then him.

mainly because people have told me....oh ur will last longer, its alwheel drive... and alot of other things....so like I sed...if you got the money....go ahead

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

M3 used to be my dream car.

I drove a couple.

IMO a LGT with 20k worth of mods is better in many many aspects then an M3. I think the LGT vs M3 debate is worthy debate if the LGT is going to be modded fairly extensively (brakes, suspension, engine, tires).

my comment may have abeen a little late...but anywayz...i love the car u chose, the color..and the choice of removing the logos..i did the same....
I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

M3 used to be my dream car.

I drove a couple.

IMO a LGT with 20k worth of mods is better in many many aspects then an M3. I think the LGT vs M3 debate is worthy debate if the LGT is going to be modded fairly extensively (brakes, suspension, engine, tires).

But they're entirely different beasties. That the LGT is even mentioned in the same sentence as the M3 means kudos to Subie designers and engineers. Really.

But they're entirely different beasties. That the LGT is even mentioned in the same sentence as the M3 means kudos to Subie designers and engineers. Really.

True, but my LGT is starting to act very simliar to the M3s I drove.:icon_wink

This thread is never going to die.....

A lot of people are claiming that these cars are in completely different classes but I disagree with that. They are both performance oriented cars that are capable of housing more than just 2 people. Neither is overly sporty or 'ricerish'. Both have a hint of luxuriousness to them (sat nav, heated seats, etc.). You'd be surprised how many people might be comparing them. Enough to keep the thread going!

lol

Archived