LegacyGT.com

driver side wheel squeak

magichat

Haha.. I cancelled my appointment. I'm seriously considering getting a bearing puller and doing the job myself. Plus I wasn't gonna swap out the wheels in this weather.

SPX has a Subaru Legacy/Impreza Bearing Remover (927440000) and maybe I can convince the dealer to give me the replacement for free. :spin:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i had to be going under 20 and near a wall or something for the noise to bounce off of to get the mechanic to hear it. also an empty parking lot or something with no other cars around is a good idea too

werd ;) That's exactly what the head tech did w/ me shotgun

As soon as the nice weather came back, so did the squeaking.

I called the dealership again and discussed the problem with the guy who answered @ the service dept. He seemed to think that the symptoms I described pointed towards the wheel bearing. When I asked why it went away with the cold temps/rain he said that the extra moisture was just enough extra lube to make it stop. Hmmm...

So, if it's making the noise Wednesday night then I will swap the wheels out and bring the car in on Thursday morning.

What a PITA!

OK, it's the night before and the problem persists. I called another dealership and explained my plight. I asked if aftermarket wheels would cause a non-warranty repair to which he replied "only if they're causing the problem"... :rolleyes:

He did seem to indicate that he thought it was a wheel bearing problem and that the wheels were most likely not the cause, but ultimately he would need to see it.

So... I'm gonna man up and bring it in with the tarmac2's on.

Okay. So I had my appointment at 7:30am and I had to wait around at the dealership until 10:30 when my ride would pick me up. During this time I wandered around, checking out the showroom, the lot and taking a glance in the garage from time to time.

At ~9:30 I went in to the desk and asked if they had figured anything out with the noise. The guy said that they hadn't heard the noise so I re-explained that they should drive next to a wall at 10-40mph with the window down, or alternatively, inspect the wheel bearings per the normal procedure.

He said that they were taking it to get aligned (under warranty) and it was a longer drive where he would be listening for it. I suggested that I drive it around for a bit and pick him up to go to the alignment shop. He said that he was busy but he had to go soon :wtf?:...

I ended up waiting until 10:30 for my ride, at which point the car still hadn't left for the alignment. I spent the rest of the day trying not to worry about their grubby hands messing with my car.

At 5pm I called to see if they were still expecting the car to be ready to which they replied: "We're just finishing up the paperwork, you can come pick it up."

When I got to the dealership they informed me that 1) they could not duplicate the noise, 2) they inspected the front end, 3) they lubricated the brake system. They did charge me for a wheel balance that I hadn't agreed to and an oil change that I did. I asked if the sound came back if I could just bring it by and have someone check it out. They responded positively and I left feeling that while it may not be fixed, they weren't dicking around with me.

As soon as I took off the sound was right there! The window was only cracked an I could hear it clear as day... I called them as I circled the block and they said "Oh, the techs just walked out... you'll have to come back another day." The rest was me being angry and expressing my lack of faith in a warranty backed by incompetent technicians.

In conclusion: I won't let the "warranty" prevent me from doing any modifications in the future. What a joke.

Oh and regarding our other curiosity, they didn't care about the wheels.

Just wow. . .if you have the time, you could try taking it in and having the service manager sit in the passenger seat while you replicate the noise. Hopefully then they will do something about it instead of just giving you the runaround.

If not, just go about your normal life (e.g. autox's, lapping days, etc.) until the problem is more apparent so that they won't have any problems diagnosing the problem.

If not, just go about your normal life (e.g. autox's, lapping days, etc.) until the problem is more apparent so that they won't have any problems diagnosing the problem.

Bingo ;)

One update though... I borrowed a dial gauge and magnetic base and measured the wheel bearing play per the vaca pix. Less than 1/4 of the allowable play. Also, the pitch of the noise seems to jump now so I'm thinking they were right with the brakes...

Same situation i was going to check it out this week while doing a brake job. So far going to the dealership has been more of a pain that worth the time and now im on my aftermarket warranty with $100 deductable so hopefully this becomes a recall.

• 3 weeks later...
Dang it...this sounds like exactly the same problem my car is having now (front driver's side). Just put on my new wheels this past Saturday. Monday this sound started. Tuesday and Wednesday it was completely gone. Now today the sound is back. Why would this start after putting new wheels on (17x8 Rota SVN)? My car had right around 6k miles when I put them on so this was the first time the stock wheels have been taken off. Could it have something to do with having the car jacked up in each corner for the first time? Or maybe different stresses on the hubs from being torqued down on new wheels? Right now it seems too intermittant for me to take it in because I'm sure the dealer won't be able to replicate the problem :rolleyes:. Maybe I'll just call and discuss it with them.

Archived