LegacyGT.com

driver side wheel squeak

magichat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wheel bearing problem + aftermarket wheels + SOA = possible non-warranty repair.

Hmmm, seems paranoid, b/c the bearing grease was the culprit as I was told.

Anyhow I had no problem when I kept complaining about it & I have 18" RPM2s, hehe, my car actually looks like the forum logo car minus the rear wing & wiper. Not sure what wheels those are...

Paranoid, maybe... I'd rather be safe than sorry...

I'm sorry, no disrespect, but I just fail to see the connection between a bad bearing which is a *known* TSB, & wanting to upgrade your wheels, a reasonable performance mod, & non-issue when talking about warranties.

Heck if car mfrs. ever went to that extreme, we'd all be riding Treks.:lol:

None taken... the more you say it the more I agree. You and Superhawk are the only one who have chimed in on the issue.

I'd love to leave the wheels on but then I think, do I really want some technician handling the wheels and possibly tightening the spline drive lugs with an impact gun?

None taken... the more you say it the more I agree. You and Superhawk are the only one who have chimed in on the issue.

I'd love to leave the wheels on but then I think, do I really want some technician handling the wheels and possibly tightening the spline drive lugs with an impact gun?

Thanks sir! ;)

OK, I'm w/ you there, damned monkeys!!! :lol:

I'm sorry, no disrespect, but I just fail to see the connection between a bad bearing which is a *known* TSB, & wanting to upgrade your wheels, a reasonable performance mod, & non-issue when talking about warranties.

Heck if car mfrs. ever went to that extreme, we'd all be riding Treks.:lol:

When did this become a TSB? I have not seen that yet.

Funny thread related dealership story if you like to read...

so i have this squeal from my front left wheel also. (sounds like a squealing belt to me) It is definitely speed dependent. it seems to get louder as the car gets warmer and it is intermittent. I started to notice it around 1500 miles on my new 06 GT. It is mostly only noticeable to me but when next to a median or guard rail my passengers can also hear it. I meticulously painted my calipers with a *brush* at around 8000 miles. My car now has 9500 miles.

The dealership is an hour from me and I figured if I brought the car in I would get the typical "we don't hear nothin" remark. However the wifey wanted to go shopping in Bloomington last week and I needed to get the fan recall done so i decided to take it in and see what they would say. **I explained the noise exactly like I did above but also asked that the wheel bearing be checked as the possible culprit thanks to this thread**

After waiting about 2.5 hours for an oil change/ recall/ and the mystery noise diagnosis, the service guys comes out and tells me this...

<<service guy>>

"Uhm, we are looking at your brakes and if you want us to do something, it wont be covered under your warranty because you painted the brakes."

<<me>>

"What does painting my brakes have to do with anything?"

<<service guy>>

Well, brake paint is really thick, and when you sprayed it on, you got it into the sliders on the brakes and in between the calipers and the pads."

<<me>>

"What do you mean by I got it into the sliders?"

<<service guy>>

"Uhm, the paint got into the part where the brakes slide together and its causing one side of the caliper to clamp more than the other. And with the new metallic pads on cars these days, its causing it to squeal."

<<me>>

Why is it only speed dependent and why does it change pitch when i swerve from side to side?

<service guy>

Well, when you turn, the brakes flex and that causes it to change tone.

at this point, I am about to loose it, and so is the wife, so I told him to not worry about it and just give me the bill for the oil change. Before I paid, i asked to talk to the Service Tech that actually worked on the car. They said that he couldn't come out and talk because he just started a new job.

I also asked the service guy what their procedure is for inspecting bad wheel bearings and he told me that they put it on a lift and spin the wheel while listening with a stethoscope. I asked him if the tech did this and his angry reply was "Well, I'm sure he did." Which to me seemed more like no to me.

At this point I was ready to walk when my wife starts grilling him about if it was the brake caliper paint causing it, then how come all the wheels were not squealing? The guy just kept getting more and more of an attitude with us and telling us how if we wanted any thing done the first thing they would have to do is remove the caliper paint. And he made sure to let us know that we would pay for everything. The End.

Royal on The East Side

Bloomington, Indiana.

Cliff notes:

Got car new

Car made noise

I brush painted the calipers

Spray painted calipers voids warranty and causes noise

I got the dreaded squeak also. Since I was just in a couple of weeks ago for a stripped hub stud, I will wait a while before brining it in. I'll probably bring it in when the noise gets worse. As others have mentioned, no point brining it in if the tech's can't hear it easily.

Archived