LegacyGT.com

Legacy Build Quality

I am not sure how many 2005 Legacy owners are out there (it has been a little while since I've been on the forum). I was wondering how you all felt about the building quality of your Legacy. I love my car, but there are certain things about it that get to me sometimes. My dash rattles, somewhere in the back left of the car rattles, even my drivers seat squeaks when you are sitting in it.

In comparison I have had a 2000 Honda Civic SI, 1991 Nissan Sentra XE, and a 1974 Plymouth Duster. All three of those cars were much lower end than my Legacy and seemed to have somewhat better build quality - especially in the sqeek/rattle department.

Again, I love my car - just wondering how others thought about this, and if they had similar issues.

Thanks!

'05 with 20K. No quality issues at all. Other than oil changes and rotating tires I've had nothing to fix or complain about. In fact it has been among the best initial quality cars I've owned.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am not even sure if this belongs in this topic and the fact that the result came from consumer reports..

in any case here are lists of most reliable cars. again, reliable vs build quality.. i dont' know..

in any case, our cars didn't make it any of the catagories, but the wrx and forester made it.

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/reliable/

No major issues, 13k miles. Standard driver side dash rattle fixable in 5 minutes. Bad hatch dampers - from day 1, probably due to being a leftover and sitting over a year in the lot. Few LEDs burnt in the 3rd brake light. Missing bolt in the exahust! :lol: Weak crappy battery.

That's it. Excellent car.

Not an 05 but an 04. purchased 7/04. Now 51K. No squeaks, rattles or bad finish problems.

Had a piston slap issue that arose. Taken care of under warranty by Feder's Subaru of Middletown, NY. (Not the purchase dealer!!!)

overall no issues.

O.

nearly 30K on mine and the drivers seat squeaks when i corner. My radio also has crappy reception . . . i understand that can be fixed by the dealer tho. other than that, no complaints.

need to fix the seat as well - 57k on the odo and nothing major (knock on fake alluminum console)

I have an 06 legacy wagon and an 00 legacy wagon and they both squeak and rattle a little. The 00 seems to be more solid when you close the trunk and doors. I dig the 06 more than any car I have ever owned but it does seem a little flimsy in places.

Mine rattles very little surprisingly *knock on wood.* The suspension creaks every now and then tho, but that may be due to the springs. The gaps on the sides of the trunk lid are not even from left to right. Passenger seat squeaks every now and again when someone is sitting in it. And now i hear a bit of squeaking from my engine...timing belt?? oh yeah..and i have 39,000 miles.

'05 with 22 K.

2 rattles both, intermittent. Glove box when cold outside (< freezing), headliner, sunroof not sure. And this one when the temp is > 65. Pretty convinced on the temperature relation though not absolutely positive.

+1

45,000 miles, 2 NH winters, One deer strike. Garaged. No rattles or leaks. There was an occasional noise from the blower fan, but it was so rare that I only remembered it while reading this thread. Lately I've noticed a wind noise if I open my window at speed and then close it again. It's nothing to whine about. When Subaru sent me a survey a while ago, I gave it what seemed to be low ratings. I had to explain at the bottom that it didn't exceed my expectations because I expected a lot. It's a great design and mine was well built- just like I had expected.

I must have bought the clone of your car. I've had the dash rattle looked at but I've been told that I'll have to leave the car overnight for them to take the dash apart, the dealer wasn't able to fix it the first time. I had a Impreza (assembled in Japan) before and I had no such annoying issues. I guess that's what we get for buying the first model year. I still love the car.

No that it matters but, build quality or, design flaw?

There are enough dashboard rattles to make me think it might be the design, how it attaches to the car frame. Yeah, you can blame the assembler for over torqueing a screw but, if it happens often enough then what?

I've been gathering data on the Legacy's reliability, and don't exclude "minor" items like rattles the way CR does. The survey form lists the only things that should not be reported:

http://www.truedelta.com/survey.php

The Legacy has a moderately low repair rate so far, not quite as low as most Toyotas, but close enough that it's probably within the margin of error (will know when the data comes back from the analyst this month).

That said, it's clear from this thread that some people simply live with rattles. So I've thought of having a separate survey where everyone reports on things that are wrong with their car but that they haven't bothered to tell the dealer about.

Do people think this would be a good idea?

My sunroof sliding shade rattles like crazy, I have the notorious dash rattle, and my passenger side door buzzes with the radio on. I plan on taking the car apart next summer.

I had that as well but, convinced myself it was poor radio reception.

i get a rattle/creak near the sides of center console. Sounds like theres loose change inside the cubby when there really isnt..any suggestions besides dynamat?

I think I remember a thread on the "center" dash rattle. Buyer beware, I'm not convinced any one solution fits all.

I am not sure how many 2005 Legacy owners are out there (it has been a little while since I've been on the forum). I was wondering how you all felt about the building quality of your Legacy. I love my car, but there are certain things about it that get to me sometimes. My dash rattles, somewhere in the back left of the car rattles, even my drivers seat squeaks when you are sitting in it.

Wow! You summed up almost every problem I'm having with my 2005 2.5i. 'cept one. This is the worst luck I've had with a car, and thats saying allot after the crap I went through with my Dakota.

I love...love...love my car. the only problem i have is a rattle in the drivers side of my dash. it seems to happen more when its colder. it makes me want to take apart the dash and see what the heck rattles. other than that i have no compaints and i have 11,000 miles on it.

I have a 2005 GT Wagon Ltd. with 30K miles...the interior still feels pretty solid but the materials are on the cheaper side, IMO. Nothing has really fallen apart and I haven't heard too many rattles...the only issue I can think of is the Driver's side floormat - the hook has become disconnected from the floor. I think there's a Service Bulletin for it but I haven't had time to take it to the dealer.

Archived