LegacyGT.com

JDM ACC w/double din for dual ACC LGT!!!

If SOA offered it as LHD accessory, what's the max price you would be willing to pay?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. If SOA offered it as LHD accessory, what's the max price you would be willing to pay?

• $400 (I really hate stocker, I'll pay dearly to ditch it)
    • $300 (I hate stocker, I'll pay well to eliminate it)
    • $200 (I don't like stocker, but I am not paying more than $100 per stupid ACC knob!)
    • $100 (I am on a budget, dang!)
    • Don't care, I'd go with cleansweep anyway.
    • No thanks, stock stereo is fine.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im still working on mine...

It was on hold for 3 weeks because some parts i wanted were on backorder... But they arrived in time for the holiday weekend, LOL. I wasnt around much though. BUT, the plugs i wanted for the PCB boards arrived, so i just need to get a guy at work to cut the Radio Cage, and i need to get in to the nitty gritty...

Here is the 411

The JDM single zone double din kit does not work with US cars, mods have been tried by several people to no avail.

There was some hope surfaced when the 07 JDM dual zone kit surfaced, Opie our resident service guy from Mastro subaru in FL looked at the diagrams and the wiring for the 07+ stereos is different enough from the 05/06 that it doesnt look like it will be a plug and play solution.

However nobody with an 07+ has tried ordering the 07 JDM dual zone kit to confirm or deny it working. Basically if you have an 05 your best options are a cleansweep / 360 if you want an oem looking setup and a cubby single din or custom double din install if you want a real aftermarket head unit.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Here is a link to the interior/audio section of a German Subaru enthusiast site. My German is pretty rusty, but I'm reading through a bunch of posts to try and find something.......

http://www.subaru-community.com/board.php?boardid=52&sid=585098f75f1b26e3fa8efc06cc71acb7

I do remember that while I was in Germany, I noticed that it was EXTREMELY rare fro people to put aftermarket 12v in their cars. This was during the early nineties when it was really blowing up here. Many of the cars back then only had AM radios with no tape deck! Things may have changed since then, but knowing the people, I doubt it.

Here's a twist that may work -

I hate the dual zone automatic climate control. It sucks. This is documented. Manual controls are much more predictable. I know that the dashboard bling would suffer, but I don't really care about that.

Is it possible to convert the car over to single zone manual controls using the existing HVAC backend control system? If so, I would be very willing to go this route and be able to buy the USDM aftermarket 2 din facia. Any techs out there who have had both apart? Awesome to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Here's a twist that may work -

I hate the dual zone automatic climate control. It sucks. This is documented. Manual controls are much more predictable. I know that the dashboard bling would suffer, but I don't really care about that.

Is it possible to convert the car over to single zone manual controls using the existing HVAC backend control system? If so, I would be very willing to go this route and be able to buy the USDM aftermarket 2 din facia. Any techs out there who have had both apart? Awesome to kill 2 birds with one stone.

The simple answer is No.

The two systems are COMPLETELY different. You would have to have more money/time then brains to do it. You would literally have to disassemble the whole dash and probably some of the engine bay PLUS I dont even know if the ECU could deal with the auto HVAC brain center being deactivated.

See heres the thing, the control box thats part of the stereo is nothing but a few lights and knobs and a display and the "brain" that controls the HVAC thats buried in the dash.

Sorry to piss in your cheerios but its been thought of and its really not worth the effort of even thinking about with all the ecu and electronics dependencies.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

The dual climate to manual conversion has been tried, unsuccessfully. Aside from the parts involved, I believe one of the bigger snags was the defroster functions not working.

I forgot who tried it, or what post it was in cause I'm too lazy to go look for it, but its out there.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Here is a link to the interior/audio section of a German Subaru enthusiast site. My German is pretty rusty, but I'm reading through a bunch of posts to try and find something.......

http://www.subaru-community.com/board.php?boardid=52&sid=585098f75f1b26e3fa8efc06cc71acb7

I do remember that while I was in Germany, I noticed that it was EXTREMELY rare fro people to put aftermarket 12v in their cars. This was during the early nineties when it was really blowing up here. Many of the cars back then only had AM radios with no tape deck! Things may have changed since then, but knowing the people, I doubt it.

OK so I registered on the German forum and found out they have the exact same problem we have...no installation kits available from Subaru of Germany...here's a pic of their solution...it looks familar (look in the glovebox):

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6697/img08781ml.jpg

I guess no solution from Germany...

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The dual climate to manual conversion has been tried, unsuccessfully. Aside from the parts involved, I believe one of the bigger snags was the defroster functions not working.

I forgot who tried it, or what post it was in cause I'm too lazy to go look for it, but its out there.

That was me. Yeah, you cannot swap out the auto climate for a manual climate and keep the defrosters.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived