LegacyGT.com

OEM clutch gone already???

rocknroll

OK I have an 05 GT with ~48k of mostly highway driving. This car hasn't taken much of a beating since I've owned it and I've been driving a stick for about 9 years. Just recently, I noticed the clutch pedal grabbing a lot higher than it used to (infact too close to the top of the pedal in my opinion) and the pedal is starting to feel softer. My clutch fluid level looks OK. Is this clutch on its way out already? I'd be really surprised to see the cars original set of brake pads outlast the clutch but thats what it looks like might happen. I did get the gold plus extended service plan, but after reading the fine print they don't cover clutch replacement. I may try to get it replaced anyway since a clutch simply should not die this quickly. Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always figured that anything past 50k miles for a clutch was borrowed time.

Surprising that your cars would go out with mostly highway driving, but it is a wear item.

Iv'e had clutches last 75k plus. The clutch is a Subie weak point.:icon_mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I have too. Had a '88 Nissan Sentra that lasted at least 97k miles (when I sold the car). That car only had about 65hp. But for a wear item I can't really say that I expect to get more than 50k miles out of it. Plus the LGT has a lot of power and torque.

How long are people getting with other 250hp + cars?

A google check and all I could find where standard disclaimers that clutch life depends on driving, vehicle, etc.

I think that the clutch comes to full lockup, but more stress is put under the clutch during starting from the more powerful engine. So I don't think it is an issue of the engine overpowering the clutch so much as the small amount of slippage necessary when starting the car with a 250hp engine is causing more damage than say a 120hp engine.

FWIW I will be very happy to get 50k out of my clutch.

One way to test a clutch is to start the car, depress clutch pedal, put car in 5th gear and slip out the clutch. The car should stall when the clutch grabs. If it doesn't the clutch is bad.

When my grandfather gave me his beloved '86 Volvo 240dl, it had over 400,000 miles on the odometer (travelling salesman). He babied that car and swore up and down that it was still on THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH, obviously I refused to believe him. 2-3 weeks after I started driving it (my first manual), I had to have it replaced... maybe he was telling the truth? :icon_conf

No bullshit here. I had a 1988 Toyota pickup, 4cylinder. I sold it with 159,000 miles and it had the original clutch.

My Dad never replaced a clutch in his life.....until his 1986 Loyale. The clutch was slipping at 20K. What did a Loyale have for HP??? 90?:lol:

I was looking to see how bad of a job a clutch replacement would be (I've done clutches before, just never on a Subaru) and I stumbled on this post where sebberry said his clutch got high but stayed there without slipping for another 30,000 km:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40820&page=2&highlight=clutch+install

For anyone who has replaced with aftermarket clutch/flywheel, what did you go with?

wow, noone gets any mileage from their stock clutch. My 87 mazda b2200 had 227k on the stock clutch. And to top that, my 01 jeep wrangler with a 318 swap and beaten on off road on a regular basis has 110k on the stock clutch.

We've got a small clutch diameter when compared to the amount of power (and torque) the engine makes. It's just not going to last that long.

Our only problem is there really isn't a clear winner in the "replacement clutch" category yet.

I got in on the group buy for the RPS clutch from MTS a couple of months ago.

Glad I did, as the dragstrip venture last week was fruitless as the clutch began slipping, and today the stock clutch slips in 3rd & 4th with any acceleration whatsoever. My car has 40,500 on it, plus about 100 dragstrip runs.

Folks have been quite happy with the RPS and the 15# flywheel. I'm looking forward to getting it done tomorrow.

BTW, the local shop is installing it all for $367.50.

Ron

I got in on the group buy for the RPS clutch from MTS a couple of months ago.

Glad I did, as the dragstrip venture last week was fruitless as the clutch began slipping, and today the stock clutch slips in 3rd & 4th with any acceleration whatsoever. My car has 40,500 on it, plus about 100 dragstrip runs.

Folks have been quite happy with the RPS and the 15# flywheel. I'm looking forward to getting it done tomorrow.

BTW, the local shop is installing it all for $367.50.

Please report back your impressions after you get it installed.

Archived