LegacyGT.com

Failed State Inspection in RI

I have a 2005 Legacy GT, manual transmission.

I was in an accident, which needed some body work, the repair went well.

My car failed its first inspection, I was told, because the computer needs to "self-set"; and to do this I must drive about 500 miles of highway driving.

Or they can manually reset it at $300. Does this make sence to anyone?

cricket

I have a 2005 Legacy GT, manual transmission.

I was in an accident, which needed some body work, the repair went well.

My car failed its first inspection, I was told, because the computer needs to "self-set"; and to do this I must drive about 500 miles of highway driving.

Or they can manually reset it at $300. Does this make sence to anyone?

cricket

no it doesnt make sense...but i am unfamiliar withyour state laws, but it seems like the person was just trying to make money

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but your ECU needs a certain amount of time/miles on it after a reset before it will give proper emissions readings. Basically, with OBD-II, they are trusting the ECU to tell them if the emissions are clean enough, and if everyone just reset the ECUs before going in for the inspection to mask real problems that wouldn't be terribly useful.

We had this happen in MA to our V70. We had to put 300+ miles on it after a reset before they would pass us. We had to drive around with a FAIL sticker during that time. In MA, the retest is free.

--Lee

my girl had a silly o2 sensor give a cel in her old car (saturn, bleh), so i replaced it/reset ecu, took it to SI, failed with a very similar explanation...passed later.

i believe they can tell if the ecu has been reset very recently; might the shop you used have done a hard reset while doing whatever...?

(i'd take 500 mi. of lgt driving over paying someone 300$ anyday ;) )

good luck.

it makes sense... when you reset the ECU, all of it's adaptation values are erased as well, so you have to drive it so the ECU can determine the what's needed to make it run "better".

but it doesnt amke sense that he was being asked to pay $300 to do a hard reset?

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

same thing happend to my wife's 98 forester when we moved to CA. But they said to just drive it more and try again. at least the mechanic only charged us only $20 for the first failed inspection and $60 for the second passing inspection. We had reset the ECU because the MPG was getting really bad on the CA gas (10mpg before and 20mpg after).

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

All obd II vehicles have what are called "readiness" tests. These are the tests the vehicles run so that when the emissions guys plug in there scaners they can see if the car is running correctly and the reason why they don't do an exhaust "sniffer" tests anymore... the ecu does it for them.

If you disconnect the battery these tests all have to be re-run and this could take quite a few miles of both city and highway driving.

How about taking it to the dealer you are still under warrenty?

He had an ACCIDENT (nothing to do with Subaru). If the computer needs to be reset as a result of an accident, or milage accumilated before RI will test for emmissions, how is this Subaru's fault, responsibilty, or warranty responsibilty?

If the car didn't pass the test and it was stock and not involved in an accident, a warranty claim would be justified.

While you were getting the car fixed they probably disconnected the battery or left a light on and had to jump the car. Either way it sounds like the ECU was "reset".

I am unsure of Subaru's cycle but I know that DCM vehicles had to cycle completely through all sensors 3 times before the ECU would go into running mode.

Drive around for another week, you should be fine.

Peace,

Greg

The body shop probably disconected the battery when they were working on the car, that would re-set the ECU....drive the car and get re-tested

+1 on the above. It has to be driven for a while. Same problem in Mass! Its 300 bucks for them to drive it around.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in RI and my car passed the em test on TDC stage 2.

As someone stated before, it's all about OBD II readiness monitors. If you "reset" the ecu the monitor data is erased and you have to drive the car and get the monitors to run and pass.

I run across this all the time at our shop. We take the car for a 9 mile road test that includes 4 or 5 miles on the highway. This is all you need to reset them. The trick is to drive as smoothly as possible. The monitors have "enabling" conditions which must be met for them to run. Conditions include run time, coolant temp, road speed, RPM, and throttle position. Throttle position is very important to run. You cannot go out and drive like a nut and reset monitors.

Archived