LegacyGT.com

First impressions of my 2007 spec.B against my 2006 spec.B.

Can you also let us know if any creaks/noises come up. I have a 2005 which is their first year with the new body style, so I understand that they must've corrected a lot of the quality control issues since then.

I'd like to buy a Subaru again but the quality control on 2005 is really getting to me at 43,000 miles. I would really appreciate your input.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The VDC never actuated. In my previous answer to this question, I thought that the solid green triangle which lit now and then was the VDC light, but I was wrong. That signal tells the driver to shift to the next higher gear to maximize fuel economy.

My car has fewer than 100 miles on it. It's been raining heavily here for more than a day. I haven't driven in urban traffic. On the other hand, because the linkage is so light, because the clutch is light, and because I've kept the SI in the intelligent or normal mode, shifting has been easy, far more so than the 2006, which has the Subaru short-throw linkage. I cannot yet say whether the clutch travel is different than the 2006 spec.B. I never found it easy to launch the 2006 from rest, especially in stop-and-go driving.

Quality control seems good, as it was on my 2006, which was trouble-free for almost 15,000 miles, except for the sunroof shade which is now about to be replaced under warranty. I never noticed any squeaks, groans, and rattles. By contrast both my 2001 Audi A6 4.2 and 2004 allroad 4.2 had several annoying failures which required trips to the dealers.

I cannot say whether the suspension is any different from the 2006, but I have read, as you apparently have, that the 2007 is slightly stiffer. I think that the 2006 rolls too much, but it never lacked for traction. As long as the tires are gripping, let the body roll a bit. The spec.B isn't an STI, which I found too hard on our roads, though it was fun to drive. The spec.B is a good balance between fun and comfort, with more consideration for the latter than the former.

Not.

Love the brick red. Totally classy. The blue is nice but a little too "pop" for me.

+1

IMHO, of course. Everyone who has seen the "brick red" leather in person has complimented on how nice it looks. Plus, it would have been a nice combination with the '07 dark grey exterior. :D The blue/black combo is too "WRX STi" for me. If anything, give me a black seat with black Ecsaine centers. ;)

-Mike-

+1

IMHO, of course. Everyone who has seen the "brick red" leather in person has complimented on how nice it looks. Plus, it would have been a nice combination with the '07 dark grey exterior. :D The blue/black combo is too "WRX STi" for me. If anything, give me a black seat with black Ecsaine centers. ;)

-Mike-

I'm with you on the total black seat and psuedo suade inserts...but I've seen the red interior, numerous times...cause a local dealer I was going to for parts for another Subaru couldn't sell theirs :lol: so I saw it all the time....it never grew on me. at all.

So, if Subaru feels the need to give a two tone interior, I'll take the blue and black. I've gotten nothing but compliments on it.

But to each their own.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I think that if theyre only going to offer one color, it should be something really awesome. Which I do think that the 2007 is a big improvement over the 2006.

Frankly, I prefer a lighter toned car. Always have. Easier to keep "clean". Had a black car once. Puddles were always a disaster.

The 06 paint job is nothing short of spectacular, IMHO. The metal flake in the paint is so sweet.

I'm with you on the total black seat and psuedo suade inserts...but I've seen the red interior, numerous times...cause a local dealer I was going to for parts for another Subaru couldn't sell theirs :lol: so I saw it all the time....it never grew on me. at all.

So, if Subaru feels the need to give a two tone interior, I'll take the blue and black. I've gotten nothing but compliments on it.

But to each their own.

Some folks prefer Mustangs over LGTs. There is no accounting for taste. The blue has a nice boy racer feel to it. It's very cute but I'll take the brick please and thank you.

"Brick"

Even the name is cool.

Can you also let us know if any creaks/noises come up. I have a 2005 which is their first year with the new body style, so I understand that they must've corrected a lot of the quality control issues since then.

I'd like to buy a Subaru again but the quality control on 2005 is really getting to me at 43,000 miles. I would really appreciate your input.

What types of noises are you having? We have an 05 and have had no problems.

Im glad to hear that some Spec's come without a spoiler because all the ones i saw were equiped with the ugliness n i thought i'd have to trade trunks for a non SpecB badge trunk when spring time rolls around.

If anyone has a 2006 Spec B that no longer WANTS the red interior, let me know. Maybe we can arrange for you to go back to black.

I am thinking it would look very slick with red seats and door inserts in my red car. :D

now that would look awsome.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

If anyone has a 2006 Spec B that no longer WANTS the red interior, let me know. Maybe we can arrange for you to go back to black.

I am thinking it would look very slick with red seats and door inserts in my red car. :D

The seats aren't really "red". They're brick which matches up well with the light gray 06 Spec. If you're avatar is any indication of your LGT's red, it wouldn't be a good match, IMHO.

VDC - VDC constantly monitors vehicle stability. It senses impending loss of control, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to help keep you on your intended path.

TCS - This system helps avoid loss of traction. TCS applies a braking force to a slipping wheel or wheels to help maximize traction.

So does this mean that VDC is like stability control, and TCS is used w/ the Torsen Diff and applies the brakes to prevent tire slipping which would disable the whole axle since its Torsen?

Very simply, VDC tries to keep you from oversteering into a spin. Other makers call it stability control, ESP (for Audi), etc.

TCS is used on one side of an open diff. It grabs the brake on the wheel that's spinning and transfers torque to the other wheel. Audi calls this EDL, Mercedes calls it 4matic.

A Torsen needs no traction control because it does what TCS does but it does it mechanically as part of the diff itself.

I know the seats aren't lipstick prime-color red, and have more orange to them, and are a bit darker... I think they would compliment nicely. But I could be wrong. It is hard to tell without seeing them in close proximity, and my avatar is pretty small to be taking color samples from...

Garnet Red pearl is also a darker red, with darker ambient light, the car looks a bit mundane dark red, like lots of other cars. Sunlight brings it to life, and it looks much better. I am very glad to have it, rather than a gray-tone color.

I don't think the brick red leather is an exact match to GRP paint, but they are both on the darker and more orange side of red. At least it wouldn't be a purple shade of red with an orange-red...

Orange-red seats would look horrible in my wife's classic red(primary color) Miata. It isn't orange at all. Mazdaspeed Miata red cloth seats might look really good there, though...

On the other hand, I think the 07 Blue/black seats would look better in Newport Blue, or Regal Blue, even better than Atlantic blue, or any gray/silver. I would shudder at putting red seats in a blue car, or vice versa, though. Red stitching is all I could condone there.

Sorry for the hi-jack... back to impressions of the Spec Bs themselves...

It will be interesting this winter to test my Legacy AWD viscous diffs with the Miata's RWD torsen, and see if there is any noticeable difference in engagment or initial wheel slip before engagment.

After driving the 5-speed long distance... Fifth gear doesn't seem all that bad. Maybe a few less revs would be nice, but not a big deal. It will be interesting to hear differences between the AWD setups, though, which is my biggest question. ...Does the center and rear diff have palpable inprovement in driveability in slippery situations over the 5MT system, or even the 5EAT... Will be interesting to see.

Novel

Agreed on the hawtness of the '06 spec. b brick red.. but my experience has always been that red's are extremely hard to match and clashing reds always look gross. You just got a hot car, enjoy it as is for a bit! :icon_wink

Side-note: Reza dropped mine off at the shipper today! It should be here within 2 weeks... :wub::):icon_cool

It will be interesting this winter to test my Legacy AWD viscous diffs with the Miata's RWD torsen, and see if there is any noticeable difference in engagment or initial wheel slip before engagment.

After driving the 5-speed long distance... Fifth gear doesn't seem all that bad. Maybe a few less revs would be nice, but not a big deal. It will be interesting to hear differences between the AWD setups, though, which is my biggest question. ...Does the center and rear diff have palpable inprovement in driveability in slippery situations over the 5MT system, or even the 5EAT... Will be interesting to see.

There's a video out there (I don't have the link offhand) comparing Subaru's AWD versus Volvo, Nissan Murano, etc. Subaru seems to do well. I don't pretend to understand all the different magical types of limited slip, but I'd imagine your Miata would lay two stripes while the LGT just took off with all 4 tires gripping.

Archived