LegacyGT.com

[Tire Review] Kumho Ecsta ASX

team23jordan

I just got'em 2days and mounted it today

235/40/18 on 18x8.5 SSR GT2

before ASX were mounted, I had Advan Neova

which is pretty much race tires

very stiff tires, very sticky, and also VERY LOUD!!

first impression on ASX

SOFT SIDEWALLS!!

maybe it isn't that soft

however, i'm used to the Neovas that these seems little too soft

traction is pretty good but you can feel the sidewall moving and shifts the weight of the car alittle

DRY Traction: 7.5/10 (Neovas are 9.5/10)

WET traction: TBA

SNOW Traction: TBA

Noise Level: 9.5/10 (10 being quite. Neovas are like 3/10 if not 2/10)

just like all kumho tires, Ecsta ASX are great tires for the cash

they provide great traction and are very quite

if you want something that can do everything pretty well, go with ASX

ASXs are noticebly better than Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S and are way cheaper

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got'em 2days and mounted it today

235/40/18 on 18x8.5 SSR GT2

before ASX were mounted, I had Advan Neova

which is pretty much race tires

very stiff tires, very sticky, and also VERY LOUD!!

first impression on ASX

SOFT SIDEWALLS!!

maybe it isn't that soft

however, i'm used to the Neovas that these seems little too soft

traction is pretty good but you can feel the sidewall moving and shifts the weight of the car alittle

DRY Traction: 7.5/10 (Neovas are 9.5/10)

WET traction: TBA

SNOW Traction: TBA

Noise Level: 9.5/10 (10 being quite. Neovas are like 3/10 if not 2/10)

just like all kumho tires, Ecsta ASX are great tires for the cash

they provide great traction and are very quite

if you want something that can do everything pretty well, go with ASX

ASXs are noticebly better than Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S and are way cheaper

glad to hear you like them. I just ordered them yesterday. should have them on by the end of the week. read some of the customer reviews, and have to say I was a little concerned about the soft side wall. But again, for the money and the handling you can't beat it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Team23jordan,

Thanks for the review! :)

1. Have you ever tried any other Advans besides the Neova? If so, how were they?

2. Strangely, I read some reports on the Kumho Ecsta that complained of Road Noise levels after only "slight" wear (they said it got louder and louder (and the tread wasn't even close to being worn out yet)). Hm.

Please keep us posted after a few thousand miles about Road Noise :). Or PM me please (I'm going to need new tires soon).

Thanks~

A little off topic, but I have the Kumho SPT, and I am also impressed. They are noticably quieter than the PZero M&S they replaced, and have better overall grip. Probably not as much outright grip at the limit of some of the premium tires, but very predictable at the limit. All in all, they seem to be a great bargain. I will probably buy Kumhos again if they wear well.

BTW how 'bout some pics of the 235s on an 8.5 rim??

Dude I have had them for 2 weeks. They are awesome in the rain...and really shine in terms of grip on a wet asphalt but no rain. So damn sticky the car has issues turning.

Softish sidewalls...I bumped up the pressure...and they are doing alright. Don't know if it was a balancing problem initially - thru the fault of Pep Boys or not...but I had to have them rebalanced due to some steering wheel vibration. I do blame Pep Boys and I am now vibration free (4 days running)

i know from my own experience that Pzero Nero M&S in snow are not good. I was dissapointed. RE92s actually handled than Pirelli's in snow.

trust me, i went to ski and it was at least 8" of snow up on the mountains

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Team23jordan,

Thanks for the review! :)

1. Have you ever tried any other Advans besides the Neova? If so, how were they?

2. Strangely, I read some reports on the Kumho Ecsta that complained of Road Noise levels after only "slight" wear (they said it got louder and louder (and the tread wasn't even close to being worn out yet)). Hm.

Please keep us posted after a few thousand miles about Road Noise :). Or PM me please (I'm going to need new tires soon).

Thanks~

That's been my experience with two sets of kumhos.

i know from my own experience that Pzero Nero M&S in snow are not good. I was dissapointed. RE92s actually handled than Pirelli's in snow.

trust me, i went to ski and it was at least 8" of snow up on the mountains

What would you recommend for all seasons that do decent in snow (6-8 inches)

What would you recommend for all seasons that do decent in snow (6-8 inches)

Nokians - can't remember if it is the WR or the RSI. Remember, the better snow performance you get, the worse the dry performance.

Another problem with gettting good snow performance out of an a/s tire is the heat cycling the tire gets during the summer - over time this hardens the rubber and then you loose the flexibility you need in the snow/winter.

This is why I don't run all seasons - I need good winter performance, and you just cant get it with an a/s. You can get safe-level performance, but you can't get good performance.

Remember that there are two types of cold weather tires - winter and snow/ice. The former are basically all seasons that are optimized for cold temperatures and are good when its very cold but dry. The latter can suck in the cold and dry but will be your best non-studded bet when there is snow and ice.

Buy based on your needs . . . and budget, unfortunately.

i dont see that kinda snow except when i go skiing

i'd just stay with all season tires that have good treat design

i haven't tried these tires in snow/rain because its still sunny in WA

but from just looking at the tread design

ASX should do better than most all season tires except Nokians

ContiExtreme handles well in snow too but it's somewhat loud in dry

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

i dont see that kinda snow except when i go skiing

i'd just stay with all season tires that have good treat design

i haven't tried these tires in snow/rain because its still sunny in WA

but from just looking at the tread design

ASX should do better than most all season tires except Nokians

ContiExtreme handles well in snow too but it's somewhat loud in dry

It's not just the tread; it's the compound. The compound is more important - a softer compound with a poor tread design will tend to perform better than a harder compound with a good tread design - the rubber should be flexible so that the sipes grab the snow and then spit it out as the tire rotates. Also, ice traction has nothing to do with tread pattern, although it apparently has no importance to you.

Unfortunately you have to make the call based on your expected driving conditions. Just don't assume the tread pattern is everything.

Nokians - can't remember if it is the WR or the RSI. Remember, the better snow performance you get, the worse the dry performance.

Nokian WR's are "Snowflake" rated all-seasons with a 50K treadwear warranty. RSI's are the dedicated studless snow.

We have the WR's on my wife's Mazda MPV and may put them on more vehicles this winter. I have RSI's on my OBW.

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/nokianwr.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

just put the kuhmo asx's on, fricking awesome. quite, handle well (haven't pushed them too much yet). for $80/tire I'm happy
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I would be very interested in seeing how these tires perform in moderate snow. I live in CO Springs and we get some snow (~3-5" on average that tends to melt off in a day or two). Seeing as how for the last 2 years I made it around on the the tires that they put on the Mazda 3 (NOT snow tires) just fine I dont think that I will need a dedicated snow tire.

We were lucky enough to get snow here today (not really sticking to the ground), so if anyone else got enough snow to make a judgement please let me know!

Archived