LegacyGT.com

This wasn't the handling i was expecting when I bought the legacy...

turbodave

The understeer and tyre squeeling on sharp corners is now starting to annoy me. My focus wagon can take the same corner at the same speed - and (dare i say it) actually feels like it could out-corner the legacy; assuming it had another 100+ hp to actually accelerate out of the corner LOL!

In hindsight - it makes sense. It's not designed as a track car, but a brisk comfortable cruiser, and understeer is a nice safe place for the average driver...

But - I really would like to make some changes. I am very satisifed with the stock spring rates and ride height; especially with where I venture in Michigan over the winter. The shocks feel potentially like they could be firmed up - but overall I want to keep the ride quality as it is. So I'm down to Sway bars right?

Do i really need both front and rears given i just want to slightly change the characteristics of the suspension to eliminate this 'safe' understeer?

I'm also looking for opinions on the end-links; I occasionally take it to the track - but I'm certainly not beating on it round every corner. Will the factory ones be upto the job?

Many thanks for any advice... :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get JDM GT Bilsteins and sway bars. Probably somehting like set of Cusco bars.

I have Bilsteins and JDM GT rsb. IMHO the bar is not enough for Bilsteins but was enough for stock suspension. I'll be buying a set of bars soon, most likely Cusco, perhaps Cobb, perhaps Whiteline. Can't decide yet.

I really suggest that you get rid of stock dampers. But if you want to keep them then JDM GT rsb makes a very noticeable difference.

Also, if you run stock tires - GET RID OF THEM ASAP. That's the first mod to do.

Cheers,

Vehicle is box-stock btw... I can guess someone was going to mention the Factory tyres - but surely changing those would just give the same handling, but at a slightly higher speed?

I get the impression the JDM GT rear sway-bar on its own could give me the result I'm after?

That sounds good :)

Where is the Best place to source the JDM GT rear sway bar?

avoturboworld.com. Yesterday I posted link for a used one for $100 shipped. New is $190 shipped.

Tires are the single most important part of "handling"

Cheers,

Vehicle is box-stock btw... I can guess someone was going to mention the Factory tyres - but surely changing those would just give the same handling, but at a slightly higher speed?

The RE92s are great for "normal" driving, but getting new tires seems to make the most different for aggressive driving.

No, they are NOT great for normal driving. RE92s are downright dangerous in wet (hydroplane pretty badly) and don't stop the car quite well...

G///

Also, if you run stock tires - GET RID OF THEM ASAP. That's the first mod to do.

I was one of those who didn't want to blame the OEM Potenzas - "A poor workman blames his tools."

But I put the Potenzas on a minivan and Goodyear F1 GS D3's on my OBW. All I can say is WOW!

Replace the tires before you spend a dime on other mods. Focus wagon is lighter so they turn in well, and they have plenty of suspension travel, but your cornering limits should be higher, after all.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I was disappointed with my '02 LGT once I drove it a while, but upgrades have transformed it: Centerforece DFX clutch (LGT clutch is ~$180 more than '01 Impreza turbo for the same parts) is lighter with smoother takeup, KYB GR-2 shocks are just right for the street, Pirelli P0 Nero M&S tire are a huge improvement over the Bridgestones, the Kartboy shifter and bushings vastly improve shift feel, and a Whiteline caster/ALK improves steering feel. I'm waiting for delivery of the Whiteline heavy duty front and rear sway bars (Addco's didn't fit, but Renick and Addco were good about refunding my money) which should work well with AVO end links. The upgrades improved it so much that I sold my '03 MR2; the LGT now handles a swell but isn't nearly as punishing, and has a much lower visual profile as well (beige wagon vs. red 2--seater with vents and wing).

Thanks Mat,

Off to order it :)

Edit - Damn: "Products marked with *** dont exist in desired quantity in our stock."

I'll drop them a line and enquire

I'd get a matched set of larger fronts and rears. I have whiteline but cusco are another option. I had my rear whiteline put on first and was happy. Then I had a larger front whiteline put in and was even happier.

The RE92's were not great but, IMO, I'd rather have bad tires on a good suspension than good tires on a bad suspension. At least with the former combination, you can feel what's going on. I had an A4 with sport suspension and that felt much better than the LGT. It was even enjoyable with the 195/65-15 snows I used in the winter.

So far I've had the RE92's, Nokian WR's, Bridgestone S03's and Michelin Exalto PE2's on my stock LGT wagon. The Michelins are very nice tires and are a great compromise between grip, ride and noise. However, the LGT's biggest problem is the dampers. They suck. I don't want to go with coilovers so I'm either getting JDM Bilsteins and Pinks or waiting for the Konis. I'm also going to put a JDM rear sway on.

+1 on the tires...

This is coming from somebody who drove on stocks for almost a year, then had my 18's with my Toyo Proxes4, fubed a rim, had to go back to stock for 2 mos and then back to new 18s with my Proxes4 and I can tell you it is a totally different car with wider 18s and better tires on it. It really helps the weighting of the steering (its slightly heavier), the car has a more 'planted' feel and doesnt have that i'm about to fly off the pavement feel you get when you push the re92s too hard.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived