LegacyGT.com

This wasn't the handling i was expecting when I bought the legacy...

turbodave

Ok, guys, everyone is saying tyres, tyres tyres...

From my experience of driving many FWD and in my younger years many RWD cars, although tyres allowed for greater cornering G's, the inherrent handling characteristics remained. I've had my 1970 mini nearly a decade, and around more tracks and twisty UK roads than I can think, yet the one thing I haven't changed in all those years is the suspension geometry. Going from Falken road-biased, to Yoko A008's, then AO32R's, makes a HUGE difference to my track times, but the inherrent handling has always been the same.

Are things soooooo different on a 4wd car???

Don't get me wrong - I know it will make an 'improvement' - and I can understand the difference a decent set of covers would make - but these alone wont change the understeer characteristics surely?

That said - I guess any tyre that comes on a 'road car' is aimed at doing 30k miles, not having fun!!!

I really, REALLY REALLY like the appearance of the factory wheels, so want like to retain those - which I guess narrows the range of rubber available.

What do folks reccomend? I'd like something that is usable in all weathers. I'm a VERY cautious driver in the winter, so not too worried about snow performance. Dry performance is the target area, but something that aquaplanes / tramlines is not what i want from my daily driver.

Equally - If i want a harsh ride like a go-cart, I'll go out in the mini :)

Going to the Goodyear F1 Gs D3's on an OBW changed the handling far more than I would have expected. But that's a strictly summer tire. Great performance in rain as well.

Why not find someone local with aftermarket rubber and check out theirs?

If you're really a cautious driver in snow and ice, wouldn't you buy dedicated snows? Your safety margins would be much higher. I suggest you try a car with dedicated snows as well, under appropriate conditions.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy a quality set of tires and donate the Bridgestone RE-92s to a tug boat company, so they can pad their boats and docks with them.

I will NEVER purchase another Bridgestone tire after my god awful experiences with the stock RE-92 series tires and also with the horrible, extremely rude, and condescending customer support I received from Bridgestone.

I equipped my car with Toyo Proxes 4 tires, and the handling, ride, and feel of the car significantly improved. Most members here have said that there are tires availible that are much better than the Toyos, but I am very happy with the vastly improved handling/ride they have given my car over the horrifyingly terrible quality of the Bridgestone Potenza RE-92s.

Archived