LegacyGT.com

What to expect in the snow?

http://www.vibilagare.se/rostregistret.asp

You can select Subaru and the new Legacy model. The test isn't made by the government, but a car magasine. They complain about alot of plastic wich keep the moisture instead of ventilating it and that there are alot of pieces put together rather than one piece of metal. Maby they are all wrong and don't know about the 'dip' galvanization.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erito, this is not good news. I thought the steel body panels were dip galvanized to retard rust. Greater than 70% of the body panels are allegedly galvanized on both sides. Subaru does have a rust perforation warranty (in the USA) of 5 years, but VW and Volvo have a 10 year warranty. Makes you wonder!

Do you have a link to the rust proofing tests? Is it done by the Swedish government?

In Sweden we get 12yrs rust-perforation warranty.

The rust perforation warranty is pretty worthless when you read the fine print. It will not warranty against any and all rust as is often assumed... it only warranties against PERFORATION, i.e. a hole through the sheet metal. How many cars do you see that are only 10 years old and have rusted through? I have never seen one. Modern paints, protectants, and 2 sided galvanization have made rust through during a cars normal lifespan a thing of the past.

Does anyone know how the stock A/S Yokohama tires on my 2.5i perform in the snow?

They seem to have plenty of sipes and grooves for ice traction. I don't get really harsh winters here in Iowa and the roads are usually cleared pretty quickly. I never had snow tires on my FWD and 4WD cars before and I was able to get around without problems, so I assume I won't have any problems in this car.

Does anyone know how the stock A/S Yokohama tires on my 2.5i perform in the snow?

Basically, that was the intent of my question when I started this thread. :icon_wink But I don't think too many people really have experience with them in snow, just opinions on what we should all do to deal with winter weather in general (not that the opinions have not been good and beneficial reading).

outahere,

no snow yet, but ice on the windows one morning, snow anyday now :)

Volvo have 8 yrs rust warranty (12yrs on two models)

Saab have 6 yrs on all model but the newest 9-3 wich have 10yrs.

Hey,

If you want a Swedish test with non-studded winter tires, here you are:

http://www.vibilagare.se/Tyretest/Dubbfritt_2006.pdf

Fulda (german)=dangerous

Nokian (finnish)=best on winter road

Gislaved (swedish)=best in test

Hankook=okay

Today they sent out a warning for snowstorm... and i've still got my summer-rubber on... maby time to change tires..

Hey,

Fulda (german)=dangerous

Hankook=okay

Today they sent out a warning for snowstorm... and i've still got my summer-rubber on... maby time to change tires..

Does Bridgestone sell winter tires in Sweden? I am interested in seeing test results for the Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1 studless tire. The older Blizzak WS50 tire was usually rated poorly in the Swedish and Norwegian tests I have seen in the past.

Hey,

Erito, thanks for the link. What is the english translation of "hanterbarhet" and "betyg"?

An interesting thing about this test is that the Nokian Rsi was tested in 2 different sizes. The 20mm wider Rsi required an extra 3.5 meters to stop in the snow braking test, and yet they were almost identical in their acceleration times on snow. But on ice the wider tire does not differ much from the narrower tire in braking distances, but is significantly slower when accelerating.

........If you want a Swedish test with non-studded winter tires, here you are:

Fulda (german)=dangerous

Hankook=okay.......

And here is the 2006 test of studded and non-studded winter tires done by Motor Magazine, in Norway:

http://www.motor.no/pdf/M806_DEKKTEST.pdf

The studded Nokian Hakka5 was king on ice and snow, but had a high noise level.

The non-studded Dunlop Winter Sport 3D was, as expected, one of the better performers on wet and dry pavement, but had the longest stopping distance on ice, from 31mph to zero, of all the tires tested (30.5 meters,or 100 feet, LONGER than the Hakka5!)

One of the best non-studded ice tires, the Nokian Rsi, still required an additional 56 feet to stop on ice, compared to its studded sibling, the Hakka5.

Conclusion: if you want short stopping distances on ice, get a studded tire.

Hanterbarhet = handling

:)

Erito, thanks for the link. What is the english translation of "hanterbarhet" and "betyg"?

An interesting thing about this test is that the Nokian Rsi was tested in 2 different sizes. The 20mm wider Rsi required an extra 3.5 meters to stop in the snow braking test, and yet they were almost identical in their acceleration times on snow. But on ice the wider tire does not differ much from the narrower tire in braking distances, but is significantly slower when accelerating.

In case this is your first AWD car, don't expect to be invincible in the snow or rain. A lot of people make this mistake. They don't know how to drive in inclement weather, and then they buy a car/SUV with AWD and they think that'll keep them safe. While it will keep them safer and give them more control than a car with 2wd, it's still very dangerous and you need to alter your driving style to your conditions. Meaning slow down, use light brake inputs, and don't make sudden movements.

Anyway, you can also have fun with an AWD car in the snow.....just gotta do it in the right place. ;)

What he said! Agreed. Invincible does not exist!

I'm running a 2005 GT Limited and live in Colorado. I am also a ski instructor at Copper Mt. I spend allot of time driving in Mt. snow. My other vehicle is a 96 Tahoe. The Tahoe kicks ass in ground clearance but can't beat the baru with the blizzacks in snow. Here's an example. I'm driving in the middle of winter from Uray,CO to Silverton,CO. This is considered one of the most dangerous (in winter) roads in the US. I'm driving at about 35-40 mph on a twisting "dangerous" mt. road when I come around the corner and there is a car spun out in the middle of the road. To my left is the mountain... to the right is a guard rail and a 1,000 ft drop. I put the breaks on. Between the subs great traction control and the blizzacks I stop 3 ft from the other cars driver door. BTW the road had 2 inches of snow and ice underneath it. I stopped in basically a "straight" line. My buddy looked at me and we 5 fingered hand slapped. I'm ready to do a sub/Blizzack commercial!! I would have been dead in my Tahoe! So if you need serious snow tires... go no further!

Will your city streets be solid ice for the next 4 months?

We had snow here a few days ago, but only 3mm deep:)

We have ice+packed snow+some powder now. Maby it will stay, or maby it will melt someday and be back the other :)

If it stay, it won't go away until the end of april.

Not deep snow yet, only max about 20cm. Strong winds give some deep drifted snow in some spots.

My wife get's to drive the Outback now and i have to settle with our Ford Focus...

Hey,

Fulda (german)=dangerous

Hankook=okay

This is great - thank you!

For the bonus round, if you translated the test headings, that would be "enastående" (= "Outstanding" I think!).

sw_tire_test.thumb.jpg.befa168ca6d958af103e839993e7aef2.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 weeks later...

Nokian RSi or Nokian Hakka4 + AWD = A God on wheels. Almost too much traction. Expensive option, but worth the money.

Nokian WR + AWD = Pretty good, but you can tell the tires are limited by extremely cold temperatures or sheer ice. This is what I run on my Subaru, because I drive it only from Fall -> Spring, so it sees dry roads as well. 50k mile gaurantee. Another expensive option that is well worth the money.

Kumho KW19 studded - a budget version of the Nokian Hakka4s. Designed to be a pure winter tire with shitty treadwear and good snow/ice performance. Many snow rally racers use this tire. Extremely soft sidewall that makes your car feel like a Buick on dry roads.

Kumho KW17 - budget performance winter tire that is nonstuddable, has a stiffer sidewall, and isn't quite as hardcore as the KW19. This is probably the best budget option for our cars if you aren't driving through deep snow every single day.

Archived