LegacyGT.com

What to expect in the snow?

I agree it would be nice as would world peace. It ain't happening at least in my locale. However they plow/sand/salt our roads heavily.

+1 there is no need for an AWD car in New England to have winter tires. Unless you live off a paved/plowed road, or it is a blizzard when you are driving, b/c the roads are either dry, salted/sanded, or have less than 1/2" of snow on the road.

But, for the guys who live in Alaska, Minnesota, or Sweden lol, maybe they need winter or studded tires? Every place is different.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.......About the winter tire test there are alot of them every year. The two tires always in the top three are Nokian Hakkapelitta and Gislaved Nordfrost. In some tests last year Michelin X-Ice North was the winner........

Erito, the tests that I am familiar with, that are available online, are the German ADAC tests of performance winter tires (http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/default.asp?ComponentID=4919&SourcePageID=8762%230&TL=2), and the Norwegian Motor magazine tests of studded and non-studded tires(http://motor.no/templates/pdf.cfm?kat_id=3) and the Swedish(?) test results from Aftonbladet (http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/bil/story/0,2789,709278,00.html). I never could figure out how to navigate the Aftonbladet web site, and could not find a link to their test result summary

Are there other european tests, available online?

SO...then it's safe to say the Potenza's on the Spec B are NOT good for snow, eh?

Damn...need to buy me some all-seasons. Although we don't get a whole lot of snow in DC.

Yep, the Potenzas on the specB will make your car a deathtrap in snow. They're meant for warm weather only.

If you're going to buy new tires, then you might as well make them performance winter tires (H- or V-rated) such as the Dunlop M3 or 3D, Pirelli 210/240, Michelin Arctic Alpin, Blizzak LM-22 or LM-25, etc. You'll get 3 years (i.e., >= 3 winters) minimum from this type of tire.

We have Dunlop M3s on our Audi A4. They kick rear in the snow. Living in SE PA, we don't get a ton of snow, either, but when we do, I want a good tire.

I'm undecided as to whether I should buy snows for my OE specB wheels, or just buy a new 17" winter wheel/tire combo. I'm thinking I may save a few dollars and just buy winter tires for my stock wheels. They'll be fine with the extra sidewall that a 215/45 offers. It would be about the same as running a 225/45-17, which is my other option (with new wheels, of course).

outahere>> i got a few links for you :)

Here is a fresh test: http://www.vibilagare.se/Tyretest/Dubbat_2006.pdf

Michelin good on wet and dry road. Nokian Hakka5 best on winter road (snow/ice) but noisy. Gislaved very quiet and good on ice....

2005-12 wintertires at: http://www.automotorsport.se/biltester/2005/0521/052107.pdf

2003 wintertires at: http://www.teknikensvarld.se/files/TV0322_test_vinterdack.zip

"Autosock" the new snowchain at: http://www.automotorsport.se/nyhetsmall.asp?version=25315

Yep, the Potenzas on the specB will make your car a deathtrap in snow. They're meant for warm weather only.

If you're going to buy new tires, then you might as well make them performance winter tires (H- or V-rated) such as the Dunlop M3 or 3D, Pirelli 210/240, Michelin Arctic Alpin, Blizzak LM-22 or LM-25, etc. You'll get 3 years (i.e., >= 3 winters) minimum from this type of tire.

We have Dunlop M3s on our Audi A4. They kick rear in the snow. Living in SE PA, we don't get a ton of snow, either, but when we do, I want a good tire.

I'm undecided as to whether I should buy snows for my OE specB wheels, or just buy a new 17" winter wheel/tire combo. I'm thinking I may save a few dollars and just buy winter tires for my stock wheels. They'll be fine with the extra sidewall that a 215/45 offers. It would be about the same as running a 225/45-17, which is my other option (with new wheels, of course).

I'm going to go with 17" wheels and an agressive A/S most likely Contiextremes 215-50-17 to keep close to OEM spec diameter so that the doughnut spare is still useful. This will also give a little extra sidewall for pot hole season and keep the speedo reasonably accurate. Most of my winter driving here in Chicagoland is on freeways that are salted to within an inch of their life the moment one snow flake is spotted.

i'm thinking not all m+s tires are created equal?

the pirelli nero zero m+s seems to have somewhat favorable reviews.

Living in so. cal, I don't even know why I'm so interested in driving in the snow when I'm only going to be in it during snowboarding season.

As far as the agruement on using winter tires. Quebec recently was suggesting making winter tire use law during the winter season.

Probably a good idea in that locale.

Didn't they also suggest suceeding from Canada at one point?

I put this question out earlier in another section too.... All-around winter tires in a 205-50-17 for my 2006 2.5i SE? Best recommendations??? Also, where to buy for best prices? I'm cheap, broke, and generally don't like to spend $$.. :-)

i'm thinking not all m+s tires are created equal?

the pirelli nero zero m+s seems to have somewhat favorable reviews.

Living in so. cal, I don't even know why I'm so interested in driving in the snow when I'm only going to be in it during snowboarding season.

The tire reviews on Tire Rack had quite a few comments on sidewall bubbles appearing on the Pirellis.

outahere>> i got a few links for you :)

Here is a fresh test: http://www.vibilagare.se/Tyretest/Dubbat_2006.pdf

Michelin good on wet and dry road. Nokian Hakka5 best on winter road (snow/ice) but noisy. Gislaved very quiet and good on ice....

2005-12 wintertires at: http://www.automotorsport.se/biltester/2005/0521/052107.pdf

2003 wintertires at: http://www.teknikensvarld.se/files/TV0322_test_vinterdack.zip

"Autosock" the new snowchain at: http://www.automotorsport.se/nyhetsmall.asp?version=25315

Erito, thanks for the links!

I looked at the photo of the "auto sock", and I cannot see how this device would improve traction. It seems to have a smooth surface.

:icon_conf

I put this question out earlier in another section too.... All-around winter tires in a 205-50-17 for my 2006 2.5i SE? Best recommendations??? Also, where to buy for best prices? I'm cheap, broke, and generally don't like to spend $$.. :-)

I've driven various snow tires. For pure traction, the BFG TrailMaker+ I had one year in 175-75(?)-13 on my '84 GLI were unbeatable. Felt like mush driving the rest of the time, though.

Didn't like the Michelin Alpins (regular or Arctic) that I tried on my '90 GTi (sister worked for BFG/Michelin, got a discount!). Seemed almost dangerous at times.

REALLY liked the Michelin Pilot Alpins (note: the snow version of the sport tire, NOT the regular Alpin) in 205-50-15 for the Corrado. HR rated, handled like a low-end summer tire on dry pavement (i.e. actually not bad!), and was REALLY good in the snow. Got 4 winters out of 'em, I think, and probably 40K miles. Even at the wear bars (I know, not advisable - I knew I was moving, would be my last winter, etc) I was reasonably comfortable in the snow. Try that with a blizzak!

In summary: if I planned to drive in 4-6 months snow again, and wanted something that didn't make my steering feel like a balloon when on dry pavement and had decent wear, I'd get Pilot Alpins again, even if they cost 30-40% more than an average snow tire. When less than 1/3 tread, if you pump 'em up a bit, they'll probably still be better than the OEM REs on pavement. I know I would have driven mine almost to the bald level in the summer with no fear.

HV

ps. just remembered, I got a set of 195-55-15 Pirelli 190 snows (ice?) (IIRC) cheap, and tried those on the Corrado for a winter. Definitely average, with a strong hint of inferiority. Even though they were almost new, I bought the Pilot Alpins the next winter (had lots of disposable income in those days!). Don't think I'd ever recommend those tires for any purpose other than making maple syrup...

About the 'auto-sock' i don't know how it works. But when you walk up a mountain in the snow with cross country skies (randonee) you put on "stighudar" (swedish word) which is animal skins with the hair pointing down/back for traction. There are synthetical "stighudar" aswell, and maby the auto sock work similar but with stiffer materials. Just a guess.

About the 'auto-sock' i don't know how it works. But when you walk up a mountain in the snow with cross country skies (randonee) you put on "stighudar" (swedish word) which is animal skins with the hair pointing down/back for traction. There are synthetical "stighudar" aswell, and maby the auto sock work similar but with stiffer materials. Just a guess.

Interesting.

Do you see any other Outbacks where you live?

outahere, yes. Now there are alot of outbacks here in northern sweden. In my city you see them every day. Since the new model in 2004 they have increased very much. You still see some older outbacks aswell, but the new model sell good. Subaru Sweden have increased over 200% i think i read in a magasine. Forester and Legacy is also common, but not so many impreza, just a few.

Has anyone heard anything about the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQ II? Tirerack has them listed but w/o any Winter ratings yet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=055WR6RE960PP

Has anyone heard if they are good in the winter? As ive said before I can get around the winter w/ RE92's no problem so I dont need a heavy-duty Winter-Tire.

Has anyone heard anything about the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQ II? Tirerack has them listed but w/o any Winter ratings yet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=055WR6RE960PP

Has anyone heard if they are good in the winter? As ive said before I can get around the winter w/ RE92's no problem so I dont need a heavy-duty Winter-Tire.

I have these in my sights as next tire for my LGT too. No winter ratings since they came out shortly after last winter season.

outahere, yes. Now there are alot of outbacks here in northern sweden. In my city you see them every day. Since the new model in 2004 they have increased very much. You still see some older outbacks aswell, but the new model sell good. Subaru Sweden have increased over 200% i think i read in a magasine. Forester and Legacy is also common, but not so many impreza, just a few.

Good for Subaru!

Do you use any additional rust proofing material or product on your Outback?

outahere, No the major concern here is that 'professionals' say the older Subaru's have better rust proofing. They gave the new Legacy/Outback the lowest (1 out of 5) in rust proofing and said the cars will be all bad with rust in a couple of years... :(

I don't know anything about this, but would be glad to know what Subaru have done now since the extra 'after fabrication' rust proofing is no longer there.

outahere, No the major concern here is that 'professionals' say the older Subaru's have better rust proofing. They gave the new Legacy/Outback the lowest (1 out of 5) in rust proofing and said the cars will be all bad with rust in a couple of years... :(

I don't know anything about this, but would be glad to know what Subaru have done now since the extra 'after fabrication' rust proofing is no longer there.

Wow, that doesn't sound good. Especially if you use a lot of salt like they did back in Canada..

Luckily, here in California, I don't have to worry about that too much..

HV

Erito, this is not good news. I thought the steel body panels were dip galvanized to retard rust. Greater than 70% of the body panels are allegedly galvanized on both sides. Subaru does have a rust perforation warranty (in the USA) of 5 years, but VW and Volvo have a 10 year warranty. Makes you wonder!

Do you have a link to the rust proofing tests? Is it done by the Swedish government?

Erito, this is not good news. I thought the steel body panels were dip galvanized to retard rust.......

Subaru's hold up fine in New England where copious amounts of salt are used to clear roads. If you hit the 15 year old mark(rare for most owners) you may encounter some rust on Subaru's. Interestingly enough Saab's do hold up very well in our area against road salt surprisingly.

Archived