LegacyGT.com

What to expect in the snow?

True, but.. I like this aspect of their test: they showed that studded isn't ALWAYS better than studless. Or, said another way: unless you get really good studded tires, studless probably aren't much worse.

HV

The various Scandinavian tire tests I have seen tested both top-of-the-line studded and non-studded tires (unlike Tire Rack, which tests premium non-studded tires against an ancient studded Firestone tire). When it comes to braking and cornering on ice, the best studded tires significantly outperform the best non-studded tires. In all other performance tests, they perform about equally.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^ I don't care what tires you have, if you get high centered bad enough your gonna get stuck. That being said, I just have shitty all season tires (can't afford good ones...) on my car. So I take it easy and leave a lot of distance, most of which I usually use when trying to stop... Adds to the fun of winter :D

^^ I don't care what tires you have, if you get high centered bad enough your gonna get stuck. That being said, I just have shitty all season tires (can't afford good ones...) on my car. So I take it easy and leave a lot of distance, most of which I usually use when trying to stop... Adds to the fun of winter :D

Ok, 99.9% of the time I'm REALLY grateful that we don't get snow here in the Bay Area.. However, having bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and knowing how good my Pilot Alpins were, I kinda want to TRY some snow to see how well AWD can perform..

Funny - lived in Canada and always had FWD. Moved to California, and bought an AWD car :-)

Archived