LegacyGT.com

Best 'Quiet' Exhaust / TBE for '06 GT..?

chorline

Hey All,

It's been awhile since I've looked to modding a turbo car but I'm glad I'm back. I had an '04 STi that I sold for an '04 G35 and then recently sold that for a '06 Legacy GT. I am currently running Cobb AP Stage 1 with a Perrin Panel Filter and the intake silencer delete, but yet I want more power, ie. Cobb Stage 2.

With my Cobb Stage 2 '04 STi I had a full TBE TurboXS RFL-Ti system but now with the Legacy GT I'm looking for something more quite that offers similar performace. I've heard and read about people just with a new downpipe but not sure of the gains that would would give. What's the 'best' performance TBE or just inidivdual piece system that will give me the best performance with Cobb AP Stage 2 while keeping it somewhat on the quiet level? Is my best bet to go with a downpipe and tailpipe while keeping the stock midpipes or should I go with a full 'quieter' TBE system?

With the STi I didn't care because it was all about power to me, but now with the Legacy being close to my daily driver car I don't want something like the RFL-Ti that is loud on the highway and in the city.. etc.

I searched on the forum but couldn't find much with posts and stickies specifically with this topic so any advise or direction would be apprecaited.

Thanks much

Jeremy

well, i will say dont get a full TBE & headers. from my person i can say that i was basic stage2 & went to the evo2 catback.

it was not loud,loud from what i was told but it was just all turbo noise. but then i got headers....... exhaust got almost to loud till boosting then turbo was LOUD.

so dont do this!!!:lol: :lol:

ive heard stage2 catless with borla cat-back in person & behind on a dyno & it would be perfect for what ur looking for!!

Keeping in-mind that the off-the-shelf Cobb AccessPORT "Stage II" maps are power-optimized for a fully catless turbo-back system, you'll definitely, thus, see best performance out of such a setup.

Knowing that you'll need to at least ditch the DP cat (retention of the 3rd and last cat is your choice, but know that the Cobb guys, while stating that it's "OK" in their product FAQ, personally/privately recommends against it, citing absolute safety as the precaution), the question now becomes whether or not you want to retain either the stock mid-and-Y sections and/or the stock canisters.

Most of the noise reduction is in the stock canisters, but depending on who you ask, it can also be cited as one of the major post-DP restrictions.

At the same time, while no-one will debate that the stock mid-to-Y section does relatively little for noise control (although it does cut significantly into the "harshness" of the exhaust note, with the huge resonator chamber evident), again, depending on who you ask, it may be cited as the major post-DP restrictions.

Which of these two areas is actually most restrictive, post DP? No one has conclusively demonstrated - there's actually quantitative data from respected tuners/Vendors to support *both* claims. My take? Chuck them both! :D But honestly, if you're looking to really, really suppress noise, the pairing of aftermarket mid-to-Y section with the stock canisters will make you near stock-quiet, with fairly little chance of any drone, especially if you were to add in a resonator (or if one came with it), yourself, to this replacement section.

+1 on the Borla CBE, and performing your own set of desired turbo -to- last cat-section modifications.

If you prefer slightly more volume, you may want to wait until the SPT exhaust is re-introduced (and pending some quality-assurance postings by other members, before you pull out the wallet!). The first-generation models, while quality was definitely problematic, did show excellent noise-control.

Finally, if twin-tips (per side) are your thing, the new Megan Racing system is also on the softer side of the noise equation, but it's starting to climb up there....

If you're into just changing the canister, there are several aftermarket makes that should fit your needs (i.e. AVO, Prodrive, Blitz [NurSpec Touring model]) - but keep in mind that pairing up even these quieter canisters with altered upstream piping, particularly in terms of the mid-to-Y section, can DRASTICALLY increase/alter the exhaust note.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

iON's TBE should be done in the next week or so (they are actually done all final fitments now, even though this has taken months) and it is made to order.

The one I am getting includes (I think it is the best, period):

-3 inch divorced WG DP

-no restriction on the DP flange

-flex section at end of DP to allow OEM like movement

-no loss of ground clearance (all systems I have seen lose some at Y-pipe)

-catted

-2 resonators

-2 high-flow mufflers mounted high and unobtrusively

-adj hangers for mufflers

iON's TBE should be done in the next week or so (they are actually done all final fitments now, even though this has taken months) and it is made to order.

The one I am getting includes (I think it is the best, period):

-3 inch divorced WG DP

-no restriction on the DP flange

-flex section at end of DP to allow OEM like movement

-no loss of ground clearance (all systems I have seen lose some at Y-pipe)

-catted

-2 resonators

-2 high-flow mufflers mounted high and unobtrusively

-adj hangers for mufflers

You kill me over and over. You havent seen it how is it the best? First it was the AVO that was the best before it was out now this :lol:

You kill me over and over. You havent seen it how is it the best? First it was the AVO that was the best before it was out now this :lol:

Never praised AVO's exhaust here. Just very interested in ther AVO400 turbo.

I have seen and heard his exhaust on an 06 WRX.

A lesser known (and expensive), but fairly quiet CBE is the Fujitsubo. It is raspy, but not obnoxious, I can't hear in the car really. I'm currently running GPMoto headers to a Crucial DP to Catted midpipe to the Fujitsubo Legalis. Only time I notice is with the windows down, or I let someone drive my car and I'm watching it go!

Borla is the quietest I've heard. Second would be the Fujitsubo. Then the Megan Racing. Then the Greddy SP2 and Autospeed are about the same. Beyond that you are well out of the "quiet" catback range.

The Borla IMHO probably doesn't flow much more than stock. If all you want is a little bit of burble and don't care too much about flow, then the Borla is fine and reasonably priced. The Fujitsubo is one of the most well made and best sounding catbacks available for our cars. The downside is price. Usually over $1000. A nice piece, but the price is pretty out there. The MR exhaust makes power and is modest in tone. The twin-tip looks appeals to some people a lot and not so much to others. The Greddy is a decent exhaust, but only really fits the wagon rear bumper well, and the ones I've seen show some misalignment of the mufflers. The Autospeed is a nice unit and sounds good, but the price is again in the $900 range, and they have had some fitment issues.

BTW, if the twin-tip look does appeal to you, I've got a GB going for the Megan Racing catback. $575 plus shipping. There was a shipping delay, so a couple spots opened up for late October shipment. Check the thread in the "Group Buy" classifieds if anyone is interested.

fujitsubos do sound awsome. they are just very pricey.

+1 to brother Jim, and also thanks to JuxtaGT for bringing this up.

Indeed, it's one of the quieter systems out there - still a "notch" above Borla, but definitely still on the quieter side of the scale.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 months later...

Archived