LegacyGT.com

Chilton and Haynes Service Manuals for 2000-2006 Legacy

Jon in CT

Both Chilton and Haynes have recently published service manuals for the Subaru 2000-2006 Forester, Legacy, Outback and Baja. And you can find them for less than $20 each. The Chilton manual is ISBN 1563926237 and the Haynes manual is ISBN 15639256199.

You have to wonder, given the timing and coverage and use of the same car on the cover, whether they're the same manual, except re-organized to conform to each of the two brands' standard table of contents format.

Below are images of the covers.

http://i10.tinypic.com/2ef29er.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/4g5ly14.jpg

Are the cars that much alike? I would think that 05 and 06 would be significantly different than the previous body style, different engines available, different transmissions available (5EAT-SS...) and differently assembled...

I dunno, but I wonder how specific these manuals can be when covering both body styles...

And with the Forester??? I thought the Forester had more in common, chassis-wise, with the current impreza, than the drivetrain commonality with the Legacy... Maybe it is all just overview type stuff, and doesn't get into the details about each model...

+99999 I'm confused.

Are the cars that much alike? I would think that 05 and 06 would be significantly different than the previous body style, different engines available, different transmissions available (5EAT-SS...) and differently assembled...

I dunno, but I wonder how specific these manuals can be when covering both body styles...

And with the Forester??? I thought the Forester had more in common, chassis-wise, with the current impreza, than the drivetrain commonality with the Legacy... Maybe it is all just overview type stuff, and doesn't get into the details about each model...

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I got the Haynes as it's handy to have some reference - it's a habit from owning British cars.....

Only thing I used it for so far was to change the horns. And it's wrong, says the horns are in the front grille.

Pep Boys had it on the shelf.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 4 months later...
That's unfortunate, they used to be different, with my preference being Haynes. Chiltons always tried to cover too many models in one book ( e.g., Miata and Protege). Sounds like Chiltons took over Haynes.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

My experience with those sort of manuals is, get them all and get the factory manual too. Often times one manual will cover one piece better than another and vice versa.

They're cheap enough and can save you a lot of $ vs. going to a mechanic (or worst the dealer).

Archived