LegacyGT.com

Is Legacy Wagon History?

MtnSub

If subaru is canning bodystyles, which is rumored but not confirmed, what possible reason would one believe that they would go out on limbs with specialty low-production models in a Legacy=Sedan, Outback=Wagon scheme?

If they are unwilling to spend the money to make a Legacy Wagon available in the future, I highly doubt that something MORE specialized than that would be offered instead.

Cutting like the rumor suggests is not a growth measure, it is an entrenchment measure, and goes beyond trimming "fat" to cutting muscle and bone, to extend the analogy.

Personally, I think that sort of move is uncalled for, and would be detrimental to Legacy/Outback sales. They won't recoup their sales losses with correspondingly more Outback wagon or Legacy Sedan unit sales. Maybe a handful more outbacks sold, but most of the Legacy wagon sales will go to other companies. Audi/VW (A4/Passat), Volvo (S40/S60), Saab (sportCombi), or Dodge (Magnum), likely. OR to crossover sport utes like RDX/Murano/etc...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think that sort of move is uncalled for, and would be detrimental to Legacy/Outback sales. They won't recoup their sales losses with correspondingly more Outback wagon or Legacy Sedan unit sales. Maybe a handful more outbacks sold, but most of the Legacy wagon sales will go to other companies. Audi/VW (A4/Passat), Volvo (S40/S60), Saab (sportCombi), or Dodge (Magnum), likely. OR to crossover sport utes like RDX/Murano/etc...

The ratio of OB sales -vs- Leg wagon sales has been discussed ad nauseum on this and other forums. The Leg wagon is an albatross. Sure, a few hundred people buy them every month but thousands are buying the OB. Does it really make sense to have speciallized assembly processes in place for a few hundred "full production" vehicles? The body shells of the OB differ from the Legacy (both sedans and wagons) in the rear 1/4 panel area... makes no flippin sense to keep them going. What would be the bees knees would be a Outback wagon w/ an Legacy/STI/SPT type suspension package. :icon_mrgr

Considering that the US market is moving away from big SUVs and their crummy gas mileage, I think it would be a bad move for Subaru (or any auto maker) to cut their wagon options. People still need something to haul stuff in, and wagons fit that bill very well. Just look at Europe, wagons everywhere.

The only model in their lineup that doesn’t make sense to me is the Outback sedan (sorry red beast). How many of those to they really sell? Keep the Legacy lineup as it is, and then just offer wagons in the Outback.

Just my $0.02.

Considering that the US market is moving away from big SUVs and their crummy gas mileage, I think it would be a bad move for Subaru (or any auto maker) to cut their wagon options. People still need something to haul stuff in, and wagons fit that bill very well. Just look at Europe, wagons everywhere.

The only model in their lineup that doesn’t make sense to me is the Outback sedan (sorry red beast). How many of those to they really sell? Keep the Legacy lineup as it is, and then just offer wagons in the Outback.

Just my $0.02.

valid points but we are the exception... not the norm.

I have to agree with BOY on this one. I am not sure this is a cutting the muscle move (if it is true). Even in Europe, the consumers that are buying the non-turbo wagons would buy accept a base Outback wagon. Even in the states, I see more young families buying the econo Outback than econo Legacy wagon. Hard to refer to the small number of SOA Leg Wagon owners as muscle and bone.

I do agree with Atouk that wagons sales are a good option to big SUVs and Outback/Leg wagons are more roomy than some competitors.

I think Subaru could really strengthen its wagon position if it adds interest and character to a single focussed Outback wagon line. Iwanasportsedan could end up being right if Subaru makes the model cuts without adding something new to spark market exposure and interest in the revised line-up.

They are selling a lot of outbacks and a lot of imprezas here in NYC. Some dealers have Legacy wagons sitting on the lot for months. Our dealer was soo happy that we took the 05 wagon we got off his hands. He had 5 wagons on his lot including an xt version. All his outbacks except one were spoken for. Thats 5 spots he could have had an Outback in.

The Tristate area buys a lot of Subaru's and if they are only selling outbacks and imprezas I think the people here will be quite happy.

Shame I know :(

In Japan, the Legacy Wagons outsell the sedans 2:1 easily. So don't expect the Legacy wagons to disappear soon.

In the US where our Legacy models are built... The legacy wagons don't sell. SOA could easily decide not to produce them in the US.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the US where our Legacy models are built... The legacy wagons don't sell. SOA could easily decide not to produce them in the US.

What about Canada? Subarus from the Indiana plant are sold there, also.

What about Canada? Subarus from the Indiana plant are sold there, also.

And SOA and SOC have already shown they will take different paths on production if necessary. Hence the fact that you can get a 5MT LGT Wagon in Canada and can't in US.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In Calgary (Canada), I've found that wagons are typically the hot sellers. When we asked the dealership about the sedans, he stated that most people are interested in the wagons. On the road, I see sedans occassionally, and the wagons are much more commonplace, as well as the Outbacks.

And SOA and SOC have already shown they will take different paths on production if necessary. Hence the fact that you can get a 5MT LGT Wagon in Canada and can't in US.

But they are produced in the same plant in Indiana! That would seem to imply they can't get any cost savings by eliminating a variation on the production line. If you have to produce it, why not sell it in the US as well?

The only way this makes sense to me is that the dealers don't have to stock variations that are slow-selling. But, they don't have to do that anyway. Let the customer special-order a car that is not in stock! If I want a manual wagon, and Subaru makes that car in Indiana for sale in Canada, why not sell it to me if I'm willing to wait a few weeks for it?

Subaru keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Confused styling that changes every direction every year, restricting customer choice, bundling options that don't belong together. I don't understand their logic at all.

So, we still are not sure that SOA has made this decision?

B4s comment indicates that this could be an SOA decision for NorAm only.

If this is an SOA decision, I doubt we would get any significant special Outback models. Sure SOA could do a cosmetic trim car, but not a Sti suspension equiped car with bumped up HP etc. Not a FJ inspired Outback. If the Outback does not exist in Japan, we sure are not going to see it in NorAm.

You look at what you get for $29k in the Toyota FJ and compare that to Outback and you wonder why the Outback cost that much. FJ with V6 better trans options and major torque, plus all extras for $28k. Sure it is a very different choice than Subaru wagon, but hard for Subaru to say they cannot deliver or make profit with 6AT or 5MT in line up.

I've heard nothing, about whether SOA will slice Legacy wagon production. But, in my mind, Toyota is in the background on this one, "recommending" that SOA "curb" Legacy wagon sales to improve the bottom line. I would guess that TMC will likely have an AWD Camry-like wagon variant out soon as part of it's SUV-replacement strategy. I hope this is not the case. If it is, then I'll be keeping my LGT wagon for a long, long, long time.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The whole issue pisses me off seriously.

Instead of buying a 07 2.5i wagon for my wife, I think I'll buy her used 05 LGT wagon. Manual of course.

We just got back from a nice road trip. My wife loves our LGT as much as I do...

EDIT: that way something happens, knock on wood, to our "truly limited" LGT, we'll have a backup :)

Nobody at Subaru gets a bonus for giving people on this site what they want. People keep their jobs and get a bonus for meeting sales numbers, meeting project deadlines and meeting profitability objectives.

Those of us that want a Sport LegGT wagon with MT or a Sport Outback wagon with Sti suspension kit are not "in plan". The same is true at BMW. Note that BMW/USA has never given NorAm the 330iX wagon, just the 325iX wagon. Don't tell me about the Audi wagons, they are a joke. Yes, the Smodels have HP, but still no reliability for $45k+.

The LegGT/MT/wagon was an aboration, a tease, an accidental gift that needed to be corrected. A great product that did not reward Subaru. We are the red ink, enthusiast fringe customers that will lead Subaru into financial jail.:(

Why don't they just stop making cars? Seriously. I would not have gotten a Legacy had I not bought it in 05 when they offered the unlimited GT. I don't have the super-rare MT though. My mom is looking into getting a Outback or Forester. The Legacy isn't an option, because with the Limited you get everything, and with the base model you get nothing, and there's no middleground.

Archived