LegacyGT.com

Is Legacy Wagon History?

MtnSub

People in Mid Atlantic/North East area:

Would you go for a LGT wagon support rally? We could drive to Cherry Hill, NJ (Subaru HQ) and honk shit out of them with our LGT wagons!!! I would even take day off for the purpose of heling saving the American car market....

I would be very interested in this...provided the Navy will let me off work before I move to Seattle...doubtful.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MilesA, I did attend one of the "enthusiast" track days and see the situation differently than you.

Subaru had press releases saying they wanted to capture BMW/Volvo/Audi customers. SOA ran print and TV adverts saying faster than BMW & Porsche Boxter, USING #s that could only be achieved with MT.

As you posted, they toured the country with pro drivers taking enthusiasts or wanabe track folk on test runs against BMW and Volvo with "AT". We were told the AT was selected for two reasons. (1) The Volvo Mt was not yet available and (2)Many of the test drive participants would have had difficulty with a new clutch feel and the test would not be fair. I do not think the choice of AT was indicating future direction.

The simple part of SOAs complete change in promo and product offering is that less than 30 MT wagons per month sold. The not so simple part is, why did this car that is better than any of expected it to be when we bought it, not sell better. I say marketing. IMHO Gas prices were not outrageous yet and SOA did not bankroll the turnaround for Legacy image.

I have a bit of hope that we may see a super wagon in the next two years, but otherwise, this past BMW owner will be back to BMW or maybe the Acura RDX?

I got a smoking deal on a '06 Volvo V70R (with 6MT), and away my '05 STi went. I was holding out hope that Subaru would bring back the MT wagons, but after reading this thread it seems I made the right move. The Volvo is heavy and has Haldex instead of the superior Subaru AWD system, but offers everything else I want and at great value for the price I negotiated.

This is definitely a niche market, but one with a loyal base. As someone mentioned above, if Subaru is trying to go upmarket, why not undercut the performance wagon market that's dominated by Audi, BMW, and Volvo? It wouldn't be so maddening to us wagonistas if the parts weren't readily available in the Subaru parts bin. Make the cars a special order if you have to, but don't alienate customers when it's obvious the car can be made, and is being made available in other markets.

Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

Guest *Jedimaster*
Make the cars a special order if you have to, but don't alienate customers when it's obvious the car can be made, and is being made available in other markets.

That sounds like the perfect solution.

Btw, could you post the name of the Subaru representative who responded? I wonder if this is the same guy whose responses are often quoted here (don't remember his name, but a search would reveal it).

Sorry mate, I emailed the dude and asked if it would be OK to post his response and he told me yes, thanks for asking, just please remove my name and email address.

Which is fair enough, and I respect his wishes. I'm sure it'll be the same dude if you email him though, you could check for your own gratification :-)

I've seen some nice, suspension-tweaked OB XTs on this site (don't remember who it was, but there was a black one that was slammed -- for an OB -- and looked outstanding).

So with some suspension work, you get basically the same thing.

That said, I'm glad I got my 5MT while I could.

If I had to do it over again today? Not sure if I'd go OB XT or wait for the BMW E91 325i (rwd). Remember, the 325's now have 3.0-liter engines (albeit de-tuned a bit... pretty much on par with the E46 3.0).

Thankfully, I got EXACTLY the car I wanted before the beancounters struck. I'll keep it for a long time.

Sales numbers are out for August. The Baja out sold the Leg wagon (non-Outback) again! This time 482-296. Its not looking good for the wagon's future.

Damn! :( Thats pretty telling numbers there. Once they put monopaint, low profile roof bars and chrome exhaust tips on the outback its over!

more money for an inferior product... good luck with your decision.

The OB is a wagon, the Impreza has a wagon, the Forester (as it sits) is essentially a wagon... why is the decision to can the product that doesn't sell such a stretch for you guys?

More expensive? Yes. Inferior? Depends on your criteria. I am looking for a sport wagon with space, a manual transmission, a high quality interior, NO boddy cladding, and no lifted suspension.

What model does Subaru offer that meets those requirements? How about Audi, BMW, or Audi? If I am spending 30-40k+, there is no way I am going to settle.

The outback has always been meant for those wanting a mini SUV and the pictures of the next model only look worse in this respect. The Forrester is closer in size in size to the imprezza than the legacy.

Sure, if I was limiting myself to Subaru I could settle for an all black OB with a manual. But I dont want an outback. Why should I have to settle for tacked on plastic and and aftermarket suspension. Other manufactures offer options closer to what I am looking for and those are the cars I will consider.

I would rather keep the WRX wagon for a winter beater and pick up a cheap FWD Mazda6 wagon than give Subaru $$ for a model I dont want. That will only reenforce the SOA impression that the Legacy wagon has no market and the OB will fill all needs. Heck no.

Well, for some reason Subaru can't sell sport wagons. It can't be that there is no market considering that all of the Euro manufactures sell them. The euros will be the only ones to get decent wagons from soon. All asian and usa manufactures are SUV/crossover only. Well, the Mazda6 wagon is still sold but based on how well they are selling I am not expecting one (at least with a manual) in the next generation.

a spec. B wagon with a 6-speed manual would sell. I would ask SOA to offer that combo instead of a 5-speed manual GT wagon.

Bob

Yeah, at least they should do that. And if they advertise it well enough, it will sell, and maybe they will actually understand there is a market for these cars.

It's decided. I am buying another manual LGT wagon (used, this time, of course). With 2 manual wagons we'll be covered for many years to come.

have a very special audience, at least in the $25K+ market range. Buyers tend to be really "sports car" oriented. That's why I think for a manual tranny Legacy GT to succeed, it needs to have all the spec. B equipment.

This vehicle won't sell as a GT Limited, but it will sell as a GT Limited spec.B., because it addresses those with sports car-oriented needs/wants, whereas the regular GT doesn't.

Bob

have a very special audience, at least in the $25K+ market range. Buyers tend to be really "sports car" oriented. That's why I think for a manual tranny Legacy GT to succeed, it needs to have all the spec. B equipment.

This vehicle won't sell as a GT Limited, but it will sell as a GT Limited spec.B., because it addresses those with sports car-oriented needs/wants, whereas the regular GT doesn't.

Bob

Well, if that's the only way to have a manual LGT wagon, I am okay with it. But it's kinda silly, in fact. I personally think 2006 USDM SpecB is lame for the price. Lots of money for ugly red cheap leather, lame wheels (good looking though), mediocre navigation and Bilsteins with poorly matched springs.

I like 2007 SpecB though because of the 6 speed tranny, though some will disagree than 6 spd is really better than 5 spd.

I think they should introduce SpecB wagon but also bring bare bones manual GT wagon for those on budget. Advertising flashy fully-loaded SpecB wagon would help selling those vanilla manual GT wagons.

Bottom line is simple, folks at SOA are plain stupid because they can't sell an excellent car that rivals much more expensive ones. I work for a Japanese corporation so I can kinda relate. Problem are not Japanese though, I am sure, but stupid American management who needs to prove they know better. I am sure manual GT wagon is vicitim of some political games. These may be the "other reasons" quoted from the SOA representative's response.

You know I don't get you guys, if the Wagon is still available in a '07/'08 with the 5/6 speed auto, you still wouldn't buy it?

Manuals are starting to get to the point where the performance is negligible and if we start seeing DSG/SMG tranny's in "sport" oriented cars like the LegacyGT, then who the F*** needs a manual? I sure as hell don't.

If you want to cry and complain about choice that's fine but if the model line remains in tact, buck up and buy an auto or buy an '05 used.

You know I don't get you guys, if the Wagon is still available in a '07/'08 with the 5/6 speed auto, you still wouldn't buy it?

Manuals are starting to get to the point where the performance is negligible and if we start seeing DSG/SMG tranny's in "sport" oriented cars like the LegacyGT, then who the F*** needs a manual? I sure as hell don't.

If you want to cry and complain about choice that's fine but if the model line remains in tact, buck up and buy an auto or buy an '05 used.

DSG is a different story. But the LGT slushbox? C'mon. You not only lose quite a bit of performance, you also loose control. Please, do not mention those shifter buttons...

The slushbox ruins the car. I drove our friends '06 legacy wagon and it just didn't feel right. I might consider a DSG type tranny

a spec. B wagon with a 6-speed manual would sell. I would ask SOA to offer that combo instead of a 5-speed manual GT wagon.

Bob

If the bean counters that seem to be runing SOA won't allow 5 speed legacy GT wagons that are still being built in Indiana for the Canadan market to be sold in the US, there is no way they would go for a special edition 6 speed US market only version.

Guest *Jedimaster*

Bob

Even I would consider one of those.

Archived