LegacyGT.com

The complete Megan Racing catback info thread. Pics, vids and dynos!

Boostjunkie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually test fitted the MR sedan mufflers on a wagon today and it looks like we will be extending the tips 2.25" - 2.5". The wagon bumper cutouts also taper less than the sedan's, so I will also be able to locate the tips about 1" higher. Should have a prototype in a couple weeks.

And?

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by Boostjunkie http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

I actually test fitted the MR sedan mufflers on a wagon today and it looks like we will be extending the tips 2.25" - 2.5". The wagon bumper cutouts also taper less than the sedan's, so I will also be able to locate the tips about 1" higher. Should have a prototype in a couple weeks.

Hey, does the fact that the Wagon is gonna be dropped in -08 model year have anything/much/something to do with getting a turbo/catback system to market?

Back in the day, a beautiful Porsche 928S4 (MT) graced my driveway (same color as my wagon now :icon_bigg ) and the fact that they hadn't been made in quite some time obviously made getting parts for it more difficult.

Is this gonna turn out the be the case with getting performance parts for the Wagon?????

^ Don't worry, even if they don't offer wagon specific version, MR catback should be easy to modify by a muffler shop to extend the tips. Some catbacks, like the new SPT seems to reasonably fit the wagon's bumper without modifications.

• 2 months later...
It's on the test car right now. I'll post some pics later tonight. The factory did mess up on the tips as they can in straight cut as opposed to the slant cut that I speced, but that's not a big deal and will be dealt with as well as the exact position of the tips which is off just a tiny bit right now.

• 4 months later...

After three years and every other stg2 mod I chose the Megan CBE.

I was nervous, I liked my Hawgzausted modified stock muffler's sound. But I had to find out for myself what a CBE would do for me, despite concerns about the voice of the exhaust.

It took longer than I thought, as usual, to install it. The Cobb DP to Megan transition, on the face of it, was simply terrible. So I assembled the exhaust from the back up to the short resonator section leaving bolts partially tightened.

First it was necessary to enlarge the Cobb DP flange holes to fit the Megan bolts.

Then I test fitted everything. It was obvious the DP to Megan flange seal was going to be a problem and leak. There was just too much slop, with extremes allowing open exhaust leaks! It would be necessary to center the Megan on the Cobb DP if I wanted a secure transition I could rely on.

To this end I spent a long time reducing the stock donut gasket's diameter on a grindwheel. Goggles and leather gloves were necessary, it isn't a fun project. Periodically test fitting, I reduced the outside diameter to where it just fit into the Megan exhaust. It should be noted I also spent some time with a rat tail file taking the edges off the inlet to the Megan. When I had it where it would just, tightly, fit into the Megan section I reinstalled the donut gasket back onto my Cobb DP. Then I put the Megan gasket around the donut (having first used copper silicone to coat both sides of the Megan gasket) and gently forced the Megan section over the donut gasket. The Megan bolts were then installed almost tight.

Almost three hours. I'm tedious. Tighten, observe, loosen, adjust and observe. Until I settled, tired, and put the tools away.

The only modded LGTs in my area all have Megan CBEs. I've heard them and I both liked them and yet was unsure that my wife would. As I put off moving my car off the ramps, putting tools away, cleaning my hands, I was almost afraid to start the car. Would I like it? Or not. Would my wife like it or not was a bigger concern. About the time I had my hands clean she showed. Now we would know.

We were both amazed. It was quieter than the exhaust I'd removed, my modified stock mufflers with a 12ga wire hogzaust, an exhaust I had come to like a lot. But the Megan was suddenly far superior. At idle it is quiet. With both of us aboard I took it for a short run and opened it up in various ways. Full throttle reveals an exhaust character obviously without much restriction, yet is refined and in context with what I think of my car. My wife felt the same. Relief, and excitement.

It should be noted I have EL APS headers which from their install changed my exhaust note. Reading and researching I never noted another similar setup so had no idea of what to expect. Now I know. It is wonderful. In fact, the idle note has more of a Subaru sound than it had before, oddly. While EL headers smooth the exhaust note predictably, nothing will keep a Subaru from sounding like a Subaru's flat four. A good thing.

In time I will log. There are tuning ideas to explore. Soon I will know how the Megan impacted my performance. But whether it makes a big difference or a small one I know this, I'm glad I bought it.

Thanks, Boostjunkie.

is this a problem on automatic cobb downpipes or are manual ones affected also?

I have the cobb catted for the manual... wonder what kind of options i have to get this installed..

car for sale. PM me!

is this a problem on automatic cobb downpipes or are manual ones affected also?

I have the cobb catted for the manual... wonder what kind of options i have to get this installed..

Unless I am seriously mistaken you will also a) need to enlarge the Cobb's bolt holes, and b) determine for yourself if just bolting the Megan on, without the donut to center it like I did, satisfies you. A local modded LGT owner did just that and I believe him to be fine with it. Personally, however, I try to preclude problems when I can.

Using my grindstone on that donut was scary, creating small sharp remnants that would put an eye out and slice your hands. IF you do it, wear goggles and gloves. I have a good comfortable feeling with it this way.

In total I have to say I'm impressed with the Megan, despite minor criticisms like this one. To have brought what is obviously a well thought out exhaust system to market at about HALF what others go for is amazing. Really. And as far as how I went about mating the Megan and Cobb I'd say that falls into the category of, if your're gonna mod you better be prepared to improvise as required. If you want all the thinking taken out then stay stock. Eh?

If you want all the thinking taken out then stay stock.

not necessarily. Many companies go this angle to justify higher prices. I bought the Cobb for this reason. Ironically it seems to be the one having trouble on a few CBEs

car for sale. PM me!

Thanks for the review SeeeeeYa. Glad to see that you are pleased with the sounds, looks and performance of the MR CBE. I usually tell any customer with a Cobb DP (or any other DP with a tapered donut gasket) to remove the donut and buy some smaller diameter nuts and bolts. If I failed to mention that to you I apologize. When the supplied 3" flat gasket is used in conjunction with some high temp silicone-copper sealant and the smaller diameter bolts/nuts you end up with a good seal and a lot less work. The same is true for any CBE at is 3" throughout. If it doesn't taper to 2.5" for a donut gasket, you need to do the same thing to get a good seal.

Thanks for the review SeeeeeYa. Glad to see that you are pleased with the sounds, looks and performance of the MR CBE. I usually tell any customer with a Cobb DP (or any other DP with a tapered donut gasket) to remove the donut and buy some smaller diameter nuts and bolts. If I failed to mention that to you I apologize. When the supplied 3" flat gasket is used in conjunction with some high temp silicone-copper sealant and the smaller diameter bolts/nuts you end up with a good seal and a lot less work. The same is true for any CBE at is 3" throughout. If it doesn't taper to 2.5" for a donut gasket, you need to do the same thing to get a good seal.

Again, YOU are the one to be thanked as far as I am concerned. I knew I could get smaller nuts and bolts, but I liked the beef in the ones provided. And I knew I didn't HAVE to do what I did. But like I said, that's just me and I like the way it turned out. I didn't consider it a hassle, I make everything I do a project. :)

My hands, however, remind me that I should have worn gloves more than I did....

Forgive me if this has been answered in this thread, but I'm not searching all the pages. :) What DP is being used for the video clips? I'm thinking when I get my setup I'm going with your full system (header/up, tbe). I was wondering how much louder your full catless system is? (assuming these videos aren't using your full catless system.)

Forgive me if this has been answered in this thread, but I'm not searching all the pages. :) What DP is being used for the video clips? I'm thinking when I get my setup I'm going with your full system (header/up, tbe). I was wondering how much louder your full catless system is? (assuming these videos aren't using your full catless system.)

The vids are of a fully catless turboback.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just looking at MR's website, and I checked all the exhaust systems available, did the Legacy systems get pulled? I was interested in the cat back for my '08 in the next couple of weeks, and I can't find it any more. I hope I just missed it someplace. Any help would be great, thx.
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

I was just looking at MR's website, and I checked all the exhaust systems available, did the Legacy systems get pulled? I was interested in the cat back for my '08 in the next couple of weeks, and I can't find it any more. I hope I just missed it someplace. Any help would be great, thx.

PM Boostjunkie, great vendor on this forum.

You didn't look hard enough ;)http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=597&catid=102

Of course, I sell them for less than MR does on their website and I offer free shipping as well (which ain't cheap on a HUGE and heavy box!).

Archived