LegacyGT.com

06' Acura TL vs. 07' LGT

Since my last post, we've added another Azera (Limited, Ultimate) to the family. My uncle picked up a metallic beige model last weekend. As soon as he test-drove it he had to have it. Power, room, and comfort at an unbeatable price.

Not bad for the other car company with an H emblem.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I bought my car I had never driven one before or seen mine, just spent many months on this board. I had the same concerns regarding many of the "quirks" people on the board described. However, I was blown away as to how refined the LGT and enjoy every second I drive it. The interior is not the most luxurious but it definitely holds its own and fits the car perfectly. I bought the car because I knew that the mod capablility was there but that I would still love the performance of the car as is.

The TL sounds like a nice, respectable ride, but remember this:

Just as God gave man dominion over the animals, with a Legacy GT you will have dominion over any Acura sedan in the performance/mod category.

It is every turbo Subaru owner's God given right to take the lane from an Acura driver, and I do this with pride pretty much weekly. ;)

:whore: on the schooling of Acura's! Even heavily modded S/C'ed ones don't stand a chance:icon_wink !

Subaru's are quirky cars, you have to know how to drive them in order to get the full performance potential out of them. They are nice though because they don't punish the everyday driver however for not being mario andretti.

For a Subaru, on a road course, you have to be very experienced with turbo management and know how to counterman understeer with the famous 'rally-flick'. Remember, as we all know, no car in Subaru's price range as as good of a turbo as Subaru does.

A Subaru, no matter which one, well also have more performance potential than any Acura and i would like to see the offroad feats subaru can reach. Acura's are simply too limited to a FWD platform.

Excuse me but i dont want to have to trail brake when i drive the car on a spirited drive.

I love my car ... basically.

you know there is 2 car manufactures with the latetest tech in transmissions..... nissan and audi .......nissan with cvt .... and audi with dsg...its the old aurgument between beta and vhs........ but ill tell you that i think nissan will come out on top........watch and see..............

Oh, like the 4WD Murano in the video where it doesn't even attempt to go up a hill thanks to it's "advanced" CVT technology. Bwa ha ha ha!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0]YouTube - Subaru AWD vs. Everyone Else[/ame]

^^^

asian girls scream performance...

You're so right.

Acuras are fine cars but to get me interested in their cars, they need to move the AH-AWD into the TL and the TSX. I would not have said it 3 years ago, but now I am into smaller, more agile cars. My buddy's TL looks like a boat compared to the Legacy and it isn't that much of a difference. A RWD or AWD TSX would certainly sweeten the deal.

you know there is 2 car manufactures with the latetest tech in transmissions..... nissan and audi .......nissan with cvt .... and audi with dsg...its the old aurgument between beta and vhs........ but ill tell you that i think nissan will come out on top........watch and see..............

Maybe you should visit their forums instead, you seem to be in the wrong place. This is a SUBARU forum ;)

We dont do CVTs sorry, bye!

I whole heartedly disagree with you. In my opinion they aren't even comparable.

DSG FTW.

Brian

I don't dog on CVT. My mother has a CVT Murano and it is the perfect grocery getter for her. I will, however, comment that CVT is a decent transmission for little soccer moms and such, but in no way should be offered on preformance-oriented cars.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I don't dog on CVT. My mother has a CVT Murano and it is the perfect grocery getter for her. I will, however, comment that CVT is a decent transmission for little soccer moms and such, but in no way should be offered on preformance-oriented cars.
your a joke the legacy gt is such a dog (the auto gearbox that it wont even downshift (look at the 1/4 mile times) and you talk to me about how cvt is a dog??? and not performance oriented???? the murano is about 600 pounds heavier and ill bet it shifts better and more effecient than your auto (no comparison)..but the only way to get decent 1/4 #s from your car of course is to dog the tranny whether MT or AT and dont forget that your car aint no sports car (try putting 4 people in your 4 door grocery getter..... (the reason people but a 4 door car is to put people in the back) lol if i wanted a sports car ( a true 2 door sports car) from nissan i would but the 350z (which by the way is no comparison looks wise or performance wise.........

Previews

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/uk/aut/newl2.gif Nissan Skyline GT-8

Monday March 6

Nissan is on the move! The company that's aiming to be the world's most technologically advanced car builder is set to stun drivers with its first eight-speed gearbox. Fitted to the all-new Skyline 350 GT-8, the system debuts in Japan next week - and Auto Express was first to try it out.

Powered by the same 280bhp 3.5-litre V6 as the upcoming 350Z coupe, the 350 GT-8 will be the new flagship in Nissan's BMW 3-Series-rivalling Skyline range. Its gearbox is a development of the revolutionary six-speed CVT on the new Primera driven in Issue 640.

While the Primera's CVT is incredibly smooth, the GT-8 takes the experience further, adding two gears, narrowing the ratios substantially and speeding up the car's throttle response. It takes only 0.2 seconds to switch between ratios, so gear selection happens as fast as you can click your fingers. The CVT is also perfectly matched to the V6, giving the 350 GT-8 loads of low to mid-range torque and superb acceleration across the power band, as well as an exhaust note that sounds more V8 than V6. Put simply, it's a driving enthusiast's delight.

As the miles pile on, you can't help wondering if eight gears are necessary, but Nissan has high hopes for the new system nevertheless - including secret plans to fit it to the new 350Z, driven by Auto Express in Issue 678. It is also being assessed for compatibility with the next GT-R, seen as a concept at last year's Tokyo Motor Show. This 4WD supercar is said to be scheduled for production in early 2004.

An eight-speed box may be over-the-top for day-to-day use but, when fitted to a proper sports car, it would add a dimension of appeal and control not currently offered. We wait in hope that Nissan decides to bring the car and its technology here.

There's no doubt the Nissan 350 GT-8 is a fine driver's car. Its eight-speed CVT demonstrates the firm's hi-tech expertise and offers an exciting taste of things to come.

At a glance

* Skyline 350 GT-8 launched next week, with 280bhp 3.5-litre V6

* Boasts first ever eight-speed CVT on a road car and showcases future Nissan innovations

Previews

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/uk/aut/newl2.gif Nissan Skyline GT-8

Monday March 6

Nissan is on the move! The company that's aiming to be the world's most technologically advanced car builder is set to stun drivers with its first eight-speed gearbox. Fitted to the all-new Skyline 350 GT-8, the system debuts in Japan next week - and Auto Express was first to try it out.

Powered by the same 280bhp 3.5-litre V6 as the upcoming 350Z coupe, the 350 GT-8 will be the new flagship in Nissan's BMW 3-Series-rivalling Skyline range. Its gearbox is a development of the revolutionary six-speed CVT on the new Primera driven in Issue 640.

While the Primera's CVT is incredibly smooth, the GT-8 takes the experience further, adding two gears, narrowing the ratios substantially and speeding up the car's throttle response. It takes only 0.2 seconds to switch between ratios, so gear selection happens as fast as you can click your fingers. The CVT is also perfectly matched to the V6, giving the 350 GT-8 loads of low to mid-range torque and superb acceleration across the power band, as well as an exhaust note that sounds more V8 than V6. Put simply, it's a driving enthusiast's delight.

As the miles pile on, you can't help wondering if eight gears are necessary, but Nissan has high hopes for the new system nevertheless - including secret plans to fit it to the new 350Z, driven by Auto Express in Issue 678. It is also being assessed for compatibility with the next GT-R, seen as a concept at last year's Tokyo Motor Show. This 4WD supercar is said to be scheduled for production in early 2004.

An eight-speed box may be over-the-top for day-to-day use but, when fitted to a proper sports car, it would add a dimension of appeal and control not currently offered. We wait in hope that Nissan decides to bring the car and its technology here.

There's no doubt the Nissan 350 GT-8 is a fine driver's car. Its eight-speed CVT demonstrates the firm's hi-tech expertise and offers an exciting taste of things to come.

At a glance

* Skyline 350 GT-8 launched next week, with 280bhp 3.5-litre V6

* Boasts first ever eight-speed CVT on a road car and showcases future Nissan innovations

and cvt is a dog ya right you ****in idot!!!!!

Review

2007 Nissan GT-R

posted on 06.1.2006 09:57 By Simona Alina

filed under: Nissan | coupe | Nissan GT-R

Website: Nissan http://www.topspeed.com/images/icon_outbound.gif

Nissan announced that the next generation of Nissan’s renowned GT-R performance car will be available in North America and badged as a Nissan model, consistent with its global branding. The GT-R, which was previewed in concept form as the GT-R PROTO, has not previously been offered for sale in North America. The GT-R will debut in production form at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007, followed by the U.S. and Canada in Spring 2008.

document.write('<a href=""\"javascript:popupWindow(\'http://www.topspeed.com/spip.php?page=bloc_tellafriend&id_article=8651\')\" class="small_regular" title="email to a friend">http://pictures.topspeed.com/images/icon_email.gif'); <A class=small_regular title="email to a friend" href="javascript:popupWindow('http://www.topspeed.com/spip.php?page=bloc_tellafriend&id_article=8651')">http://pictures.topspeed.com/images/icon_email.gif http://pictures.topspeed.com/images/icon_digg.gif

The car was born out of a staid line of big saloons, and turned into an adrenalised bruiser by packing it out with high-tech gadgetry so it emerged as an unlikely but entirely credible rival for 911s and Ferraris, a serial race-winner, a Nürburgring legend and a blazingly memorable road drive.

The Nissan GT-R is part car and part culture. The culture part coalesces around its almost exclusively Japanese origin and heritage: no one is better than the Japanese at getting weirdly obsessive about something, especially if it’s something the rest of the world, literally and metaphorically, doesn’t get.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/nissan/IMG/jpg/2/text_1.jpg

"The GT-R started as a four-door Skyline saloon, very boxy. The second GT-R was a two-door coupe, and then the R32 [the first four-wheel-drive version] was still saloon-based. We wanted to maintain that GT-R DNA.

"The styling comes from the history, because the GT-R line didn’t start out as a pure sports car. Anyway, I think the slight boxiness is a Japanese characteristic. It challenges the history of European and American sports cars. In fact, the message of the new GT-R is very challenging."

The solidity and sharp lines are all part of the ’GT-R-ness’, and the Japanese origins. It’s not at all streamlined," Hasegawa says. But if not overtly streamlined, it is painstakingly aerodynamic and has spent time in the wind tunnel.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/nissan/IMG/jpg/b/text_3.jpg

The rumors tell that the car will use some form of Nissan V6 in the VQ family. It will be based off the same award-winning VQ35DE powerplant that is used in practically every Nissan in production. It won’t be the 3.5L naturally aspirated mill that we’ve seen in the 350Z and G35. It will use a larger displacement 3.7-4.0L version of the same engine mated to a twin-turbo setup. Tuning and engineering has been done by the racing experts at Cosworth. The car will have at least 400 hp and up to 500. No torque figures have been announced.

Other performance features are, supposedly, a positive-boost turbo system. This means that the GT-R will never fall into negative boost and, like a supercharger, will always have boost available. This should make power delivery very linear, but, once again, we have yet to hear official word from the PR machine at Nissan. The last bit of vital info to the GT-R legend is the use of a seven-speed CVT transmission with an all-wheel drive system. This seems an obvious choice, except for the seven-speed tranny.

An 8-speed automatic gearbox is one of the rumoured items to be making its debut, as are magnetic valves, but it’s been so long between drinks for the GT-R that there are sure to be more surprises in store.

Exterior design is vastly different than that of the Infiniti, at least in the current GT-R Proto and for the first time the car will not only be sold globally, but will not simply be a reclad and redone Skyline.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/nissan/IMG/jpg/f/text_2.jpg

The new GT-R looks like a direct evolution of the GT-R Concept we saw four years ago. Not much has changed on the vertically-oriented headlights, but that was one of the best features in the previous concept. The front-end is decidedly GT-R with a lot of race-inspired treatment. Whether or not the production vehicle will feature the pricey material, carbon fiber, is up in the air. On this new concept the contrast is magnificent and much of the fascia is undoubtedly for aerodynamics versus simple design. Function rules over form here, but we still get perfect lines. Count them, the GT-R Proto has seven inlets not including the ones found on the hood. They could be very-well routed to introduce cold air into twin oil and intercoolers along with a large radiator. The center air damn is probably used to push as much air into the engine bay as possible—plus it looks hot.

A lower front carbon fiber lip likely extends further back into a diffuser. The previous GT-R had one, this one should too. F1 teams have found this technique useful for aero-control and with so much power and touted top speeds nearing 200mph, the GT-R will need as much help as it can get. Aerodynamics are important on the GT-R, aft of the wheels, the fenders have outlets that let airflow escape behind the tires. This not only reduces unwanted drag, but is designed to help cool the large calipers.

An upgraded version, perhaps with a 32-bit processor, of the ATTESA system could be implemented in the 2007 GT-R, though the R34’s all-wheel-steering Super HICAS (the rear-wheels could be turned by 1°) system is less likely to make it into the 21st century GT-R.

Staring at the surface just increases the frustration of not knowing what’s underneath. Because the car doesn’t launch until October 2007, Nissan still refuses to divulge anything, beyond saying the mighty twin-turbo inline-six of the old R34 GT-R is deceased damn.........it even looks like the new gt-r will be offered with a cvt wow .......but i guess it dont belong in a high performance car .....by the way you can take ur head out of your *ss now..........

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Concept Pictures

http://www.scoobyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/CA330003-1-1.jpg

Well, I found some new pictures of the upcoming 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi.. as I heard this time - it’s official photos. But I still think it’s fake and it’s very similar to previous 2007 Impreza photos.. not much better actually http://www.scoobyblog.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Release Date in Japan - June 2007

4 Door Sedan Model (STi will be this version)

5 Door Hatchback (no STi)

Engine will be 2.0 liters in Japan with a horsepower increase from 280 to 300. The torque will increase from 43kg to 45. 6 speed CVT transmission. Price 3.5 million yen ($34000 or so)

Dimension of the sedan:

4480mm long

1760mm wide

1450mm high

1/2″ longer, 4/5″ wider, 7/10″ taller...............................yepts settled cvt does not belong on a performance car you right ..........

Subject: Murano Test

After reading your analysis of the Nissan Murano (see below) I was reluctant to even test-drive the vehicle. However, upon reading tests by other car magazines (including Consumer Reports) I began to wonder if your denigration of the performance of the Nissan's CVT transmission was correct. If this transmission "sucks the life out of its otherwise stellar V6," how come its acceleration from zero to 60, as well as the quarter-mile times, is one of the best of all SUVs? It actually beats the Lexus RX 330, Acura MDX, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Mitsubishi Endeavor, Toyota 4Runner, Chrysler Pacifica, Mitsubishi Montero, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, etc. And most of them by a considerable margin. The only one I could find that it didn't beat was the Infiniti FX. I am a mechanical engineer, and after reading these other tests, I finally went to drive the Murano just a week ago. I was impressed to no end with the performance of the CVT transmission and the vehicle overall (I also drove the Lexus RX 330 and found the performance of the Murano to be head-and-shoulders ahead of it) so I bought a new Murano. I normally find your analysis of vehicles to be dead-on, but you sure missed the boat on this one.

"The third-place Nissan Murano might have vied for top honors if it wasn't for its continuously variable transmission, which seemed to suck the life out of its otherwise stellar V6 power plant. It was certainly the most distinctive of the bunch, and we liked how it moved and handled, making it the most enjoyable drive out of all the vehicles in the test. Depending on your criteria, the Murano's mix of fun and fuel economy might suit you just fine."

Looks like you're one of the people whose criteria fit "the Murano's mix of fun and fuel economy." Also, our testing showed the Murano to be slower than the Mitsubishi Endeavor (the vehicle that won our crossover comparison test, though the win was based on more than just acceleration times). — Ed.

2008 Lexus LS 600h L

STORY TOOLS http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/il/media/clickability/h-p-icon-l.gifPRINT THIS http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/il/media/clickability/h-s-icon-l.gifSAVE THIS

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/il/media/clickability/h-e-icon-l.gifEMAIL THIS http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/il/media/clickability/h-mp-icon-l.gifMOST POPULAR

What is it?

2008 Lexus LS 600h L

What's special about it?

It was in an overcrowded private ballroom at the Javits Convention Center that Lexus showcased the new Lexus LS 600h L, the world's first vehicle with a full hybrid V8 powertrain.

Power comes from an all-new 5.0-liter V8 gasoline engine, large high-output electric motors and a newly designed large-capacity battery pack. It's then routed through a new dual-stage electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT) and an all-wheel-drive system.

"With 430 horsepower," says Bob Carter, Lexus group vice president and general manager, "the LS 600h L's V8 performance is on par with a 12-cylinder engine, yet its fuel economy rivals best-in-class V8s, and it's expected to receive a Super Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) rating as well." That means the LS 600h L burns nearly 70-percent cleaner than its cleanest competitors.

When it hits North American dealers in the spring of 2007, only the long-wheelbase version will be offered. Lexus says the car and the Lexus hybrid system set new standards for silent running. In fact, when the sedan is operating under electric power, its crafted cabin is so quiet engineers needed to rework accessory motors and switches to a "sub-quiet" level.

Engine will be 2.0 liters in Japan with a horsepower increase from 280 to 300. The torque will increase from 43kg to 45. 6 speed CVT transmission. Price

Ummm, well if those numbers are true Subaru is breaking the japanese "gentleman's" rule of only having 280 hp in the domestic market.

You also cant have a '6 speed' CVT. A CVT transmission doesn't use gears.

I love my car ... basically.

Archived